Question MSI RX580 No Sound HDMi

hildebranddj

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
If anything during this Covid Crisis I've been busy fixing friends computers. Usually just needs the typical clean, update , drivers etc but this one wow, this one has really has given me heartburn.

System:
MSI B450 Gaming Plus Motherboard
16 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
Ryzen 3 2700 (I believe) with integrated Graphics (disabled in bios)
MSI RX580 (cheaper variant, no heat spreader on back, appears to be Rev 1)

Anyway it started off as no sound at all after he installed the RX580, I dug thru the forum found some threads, and uninstalled everything as suggested, installing Nahimic First then realtek, now I have sound now thru the headphones and green output on back. So that's good.

Next I updated everything.. drivers back to OEM, all fresh, newest versions. I will not even show (even hidden) AMD HD output for the HDMI.. I've tried about everything I could find online. Other then seeing maybe some incompatible parts perhaps?

I also have an MSI RX580 Armor V2 in my build so i tossed his card into my computer. HDMI popped right up and worked so it's not a card issue.

I have even updated his bios to the newest variant. I've read where guys were rolling back bios with some luck. I didn't want to try that unless absolutely necessary. He's running his computer to a TV and Sound bar so he'd like to have it functional thru HDMI for beat sound.

Thanks!

hildebranddj

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Yep nothing greyed out, no errors. It's weird. I did totally uninstall and reinstall Catalyst to no avail. It's just like this mother board does not support it, I might yank the card and reactivate the IGP setup and see if it returns. Should of done that when it was out and the card in my computer.

hildebranddj

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Did some more swapping around and went thru and found more old drivers in the PCI bridge. Yet HDMI audio still won't appear. I tried both cards in my machine no problem. Both cards in his no HDMI audio. I gotta be missing something somewhere.