MSI Ships 2 AMD Netbooks With Radeon HD3200

Status
Not open for further replies.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]stridervm[/nom]Not bad. Although it just scratches the minimum system requirements for the latest PC gaming....[/citation]

Don't know if I would be comfortable gaming on a 12inch screen.

Dual core CPU,
and 2 GB of ram?
These things may soon be fast enough to be worth buying.
(The price whould have to got down for me though.)

I can assemble a (HP) 6910p from parts for less than that price and if I'm correct I believe that laptop is a 14 inch. What's a couple more inches? It would cost less and have a bigger screen... Although the graphics in this netbook would still be better.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
thats great, if the battery is good im definitel replacing my HP ION netbook... a relatively powerful netbook is the best thing a student can have

maniac5999

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Just FYI, I've been looking foward to this since November when it was first announced. Here's the info I've uncovered. (All about the dual core version, why go for a single core just to save $50) A) It's a 1.6ghz K8 x2. It's easily twice as powerful as an Atom, and about as powerful as a 1.3ghz CULV. The 3200HD is still AMD's go-to IGP, the 4200 just adds dX 10.1, and the 3300/4290 are just clocked higher. It's about half as powerful as an Ion/9400 and can run circles around any Intel IGP. Battery life is mediocre. Hexus got an early engineering sample and reported 4 hours, which is a little less than an Asus 1201. Now these Athlon Neos are supposed to undervolt rather well, so it might be able to make battery life about the same as the 1201.

Found this:
"Compared with other notebook computers, the Wind12 U230’s battery lasts 2 times longer! While other notebook computers operate on a 2-hrs limit, the Wind 12 U230 enables a 4-hrs* operating time without the need to recharge. The Wind 12 U230 truly redefines the definition of mobility.

*Actual battery life may vary depending on use and settings.
*Testing configuration: BatteryMark4.0.1, Max Power saving, WLAN off, Bluetooth off, LED-level= 0"

...so, realistically still probably 3+ hours. Hmmm, tempting... I wonder how well it would handle Guild Wars...

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I AM HORRIFIED!
I just bought a dang timeline netbook with core 2 solo and X4500 graphics for that same price. DAMN. This timeline is SOOO damn slow. That Wind is nice and a VERY nice price, its like a small notebook that beats in weight but loses in size. BANG 4 THE BUCK!

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
[citation][nom]maniac5999[/nom]Just FYI, I've been looking foward to this since November when it was first announced. Here's the info I've uncovered. (All about the dual core version, why go for a single core just to save $50) A) It's a 1.6ghz K8 x2. It's easily twice as powerful as an Atom, and about as powerful as a 1.3ghz CULV. The 3200HD is still AMD's go-to IGP, the 4200 just adds dX 10.1, and the 3300/4290 are just clocked higher. It's about half as powerful as an Ion/9400 and can run circles around any Intel IGP. Battery life is mediocre. Hexus got an early engineering sample and reported 4 hours, which is a little less than an Asus 1201. Now these Athlon Neos are supposed to undervolt rather well, so it might be able to make battery life about the same as the 1201.[/citation]

Where did you get that the 3200 is 1/2 as powerful as the ion? I have two HTPCs, one with an amd 3200, and the other with an Nvidia 9300 (same as ion). Other that the Nvidia having better Linux support for video acceleration, they are pretty much on par. I think the 3200 actually does better in windows benchmarks.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Looks nice. I was torn between waiting for this and or getting the Asus 1201n Silver a while back.

I went ahead and got the Asus. It's been fantastic thus far. I haven't done any gaming on it, but the HDMI works great and youtube/liveleak videos work well on the big screen tv (no stutter).

I have no complaints at all about the 1201n; I'm curious to see what these AMD chips can dish out.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]gsacks[/nom]Where did you get that the 3200 is 1/2 as powerful as the ion? I have two HTPCs, one with an amd 3200, and the other with an Nvidia 9300 (same as ion). Other that the Nvidia having better Linux support for video acceleration, they are pretty much on par. I think the 3200 actually does better in windows benchmarks.[/citation]
The Tom's Video Card Hierarchy chart has them as "equals." Just posting to backup your assessment: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2569-6.html

maniac5999

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]gsacks[/nom]Where did you get that the 3200 is 1/2 as powerful as the ion? I have two HTPCs, one with an amd 3200, and the other with an Nvidia 9300 (same as ion). Other that the Nvidia having better Linux support for video acceleration, they are pretty much on par. I think the 3200 actually does better in windows benchmarks.[/citation]

Not exactly, The Ion/9400 is definately more powerful. It has 16 cores instead of the 3200's 8 (AMD cores are 5-way letting them say '40 shaders') Now, looking at the numbers half might be a bit of an exaggeration, but the ION is definately significantly more powerful:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9400M-G.11949.0.html Vs.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Radeon-HD-3200.9591.0.html

Still, The U230 is much more balanced than anything out there. Compared to an ION/Atom combo that's severely CPU limited, and a CULV 4500MHD combo that has much less than half the graphics muscle, the choice is clear (for me at least.)
So, it leaves me with just one question:
Do I buy today or wait for it to come in white?

Jenoin

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]maniac5999[/nom]Not exactly, The Ion/9400 is definately more powerful. It has 16 cores instead of the 3200's 8 (AMD cores are 5-way letting them say '40 shaders') Now, looking at the numbers half might be a bit of an exaggeration, but the ION is definately significantly more powerful: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDI [...] 949.0.html Vs.http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-R [...] 591.0.htmlStill, The U230 is much more balanced than anything out there. Compared to an ION/Atom combo that's severely CPU limited, and a CULV 4500MHD combo that has much less than half the graphics muscle, the choice is clear (for me at least.)So, it leaves me with just one question:Do I buy today or wait for it to come in white?[/citation]
Not exactly, the 3200 has 40 unified shaders organized into shader clusters with 5 shaders in each cluster. (8 shader clusters) I'm not sure what you mean by 5-way, unless you mean they are unified shaders, which is correct, and there are in fact 40 separate "5-way" unified shaders.

Jenoin

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]Just looking at the architecture is irrelevant. You just need to see how it performs. And since it performs about the same they are on the same tier on the chart.[/citation]
+1 I should have said something along these lines at the end of my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.