MSI Shows External Graphics Card w/ATI

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamspc

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
As it stands, the device can't support cards more advanced than the Radeon HD 5670, as the GUS has a maximum power draw of 84 watts and does not have a 6-pin power adapter.
Can't they just use a beefier power supply for a faster card, or is there maybe a bandwidth issue as well? I assume bandwidth would be the real issue considering they make a point about the extra shielding.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Awesome! Too bad my Laptop doesn't have a ExpressCard slot..
Hp Pavilion dv6-1323tx... Only came out last year :eek:

My older Acer has a ExpressCard slot but it's CPU will still bottleneck it.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I've only been saying that they need to make external desktop-GPU housings for laptops for over a decade now! So many laptops get outdated because the built in graphics chipsets cant keep up with the games, CPUs dont get outdated nearly as quick. This will add YEARS of usability to laptops that would otherwise be replaced.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
There should be a generic case where you can just put in any graphics card! Like that you can just take the one in your PC when you go away.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
As it stands, the device can't support cards more advanced than the Radeon HD 5670, as the GUS has a maximum power draw of 84 watts and does not have a 6-pin power adapter.

It's probably an easy mod to add the missing power. However, the question is, can you feed anything more powerful through that ExpressCard slot?

And then ofc.. Can it outpace something like a mobile 8/9-series GS/GT? I'm really hoping you will benchmark this thing. As is and modded to run some more powerful card!

Lamiel

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jryan388[/nom]Probably have 5670 performance at 5850 price.[/citation]
The cheapest 5850 on Newegg right now is going for 289.99. This article says "or with the Radeon HD 5670 card for $169 to $229". Considering you're getting both the adapter and the GPU for that price, I'd say your comment makes no sense.

Why not make an PCIe external adapter of some sort for notebooks? Come on Intel, Ati, nVidia! Stop being slackers, this is a really profitable idea!

And while we're still at it, no... This thing has no "portability" utility to it. Just get from work/school after PRODUCING on your laptop, plug the V. Card and have some fun without having to get a full blown PC. And even if you want to carry it around, it's not that much hassle compared to carring around a full PC with you :p

Cheers!

That's a good idea. But for laptop, maybe cloud computing is a better option... if you got great internet access.

Still, my G73jh-A1 is awesome. If you compare to the 1000$ piece of garbage sold at Stamples to my parents who wanted to make me a surprise, it's a real steal for 700$ more. They actually charged 500$ for different services and... crap sold... a 4GB USB stick for 40$... arhmmm... RIPOFF!

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]steiner666[/nom]I've only been saying that they need to make external desktop-GPU housings for laptops for over a decade now! So many laptops get outdated because the built in graphics chipsets cant keep up with the games, CPUs dont get outdated nearly as quick. This will add YEARS of usability to laptops that would otherwise be replaced.[/citation]They already had them, but previous models sucked bad. This one doesn't look too terrible. Future models using USB 3.0 and other advanced connections might be even better.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
[citation][nom]IFLATLINEI[/nom]AWESOME!!!! What took so long???[/citation]

Agree, but if it's external with it's own power source, why limit it to a 5670? Why not a 5700 or 5800 series ?

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
[citation][nom]enewmen[/nom]Agree, but if it's external with it's own power source, why limit it to a 5670? Why not a 5700 or 5800 series ?[/citation]

did you read the article?

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]enewmen[/nom]Agree, but if it's external with it's own power source, why limit it to a 5670? Why not a 5700 or 5800 series ?[/citation]
bandwith

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
[citation][nom]rooseveltdon[/nom]As it stands, the device can't support cards more advanced than the Radeon HD 5670, as the GUS has a maximum power draw of 84 watts and does not have a 6-pin power adapter.did you read the article?[/citation]

I still don't know why the GUS was designed to have a maximum power draw of 84 watts and does not have a 6-pin power adapter.
I'll need to check more on the bandwidth limiitations...

Hiniberus

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
[citation][nom]pirateboy[/nom]if it's not an x16 slot: FAIL5670: FAILAcer already FAILED with this. MSI is the next captain failboat?[/citation]

stfu dude, at least they're trying where other's fail and may possibly manage. Also the 5670 isn't all that bad either. The only problem would be the express card bandwith cap, though I have to say I can't wait to see the reviews for it

drowned

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
I'll believe it when I actually see it on Newegg ready to ship. Asus had an external gfx card showcased at CES 2 years ago and it never came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.