MSI Shows New GTX 590, Radeon HD 6970 Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

blink180heights

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Boing!!! instant boner! These days the cards really get hot which is why i had to take both the covers off of my 2 9800 GTX+s. Great to see this card come with 2 fans.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
@Buddhav1: DELETED!
@blink180: You know that the airflow through the shrouds increases cooling, right?
@bluekoala: +1
@Tom's: Yea but...that's all the info you've got? No clock speeds or anything?

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
This must be a really slow news week with you guys hanging out in Las Vegas. First a Micron release on SSD's and now MSI with a GTX580 card. Im waiting for the Patriot Super RAM news release.... maybe some Monster AC power cords to reduce noise on the power line...

snooze....

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Someone really needs to make a revolutionary leap forward in heat dispersion. These cards are starting to look like AC units with the fans, fins, and size!

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]dEAne[/nom]Military Class II designed - I got to have this card.[/citation]
Well, my story may not be typical MSI quality so I won't say all they do is crap but I recently got one of them boards with "military class" components and "better overclocking" features... While it is true that the BIOS had ALL THE SETTINGS YOU COULD DREAM OF... it blew up after 8 hours of use and only 15 minutes or so of running the AMD "stability test"

The funny part was that MSI support told me "This board doesn't support BE1100T" right of the first line of the exchange... WOW... if Marketing is going to say: "This board is tough" don't go for the "Board not tough enough" argument right away!

Funny thing is was not overclocking yet... just running stock speed! so I was well within the powerdraw of Other 6 core parts (on auto overclock) that are supported with the board...

Another thing I want to bring up about supported component lists that is common to all manufacturers or at least most of them: they support no actual RAM that you can buy!

exactly, if you look at the part numbers of certified RAM for a given board, most of them are not on sdale anymore... why? because the test was made during design, 6 months later these parts have been phased out already and replaced by cheaper, better, faster and in stock new DIMMS.

So the whole "supported" part or not, really is a stupid point to make for a motherboard maker because if we were to stick to the list, then we would just not get anything going.

My 2 cents... sorry for ranting.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Got one of MSI's 870 boards that was under 75$. Had alot of features, supported phenom 6 cores, 16gb DDR3 1600MHz, and had crossfire support.
Overclocking wasn't hard, it was actually well done for the low price. For me MSI products haven't failed, and they do have alot of interesting features for boards that aren't overpriced.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Actually, the reason it's called "Military Class" is a play on an electronics rating scale. With all components, there is a +/- tolerance value they need to stay within. Most components are +/- 10%, while those used for "real" military purposes(electronics controlled weapons systems), are almost always at the +/- 1% marker, while everything is designed to operate within a +/- 15 % standard, to compensate for several components leaning one way or another, and providing extra time to facilitate getting a replacement... Anyway, thats all another topic.

The point is here, that MSI is using higher grade electronics components than what is standard (1% vs 10%). The end result is that, theoretically.. the board should be able to last quite a bit longer as it will take alot more effort/time for the components to get outside of the tolerance required to operate. And what does all that mean for the consumer? This board *might* be able to hold a higher overclock, with a higher record of stability. Other than that.. There wouldn't be a single benefit. The use of "military class" here seems to be a lure to bring in money.

Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.