MSI to Bring Out Three Gaming AIOs Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhunt99

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
Yeah, I fail to see how this trumps a small form factor PC and a dedicated monitor. It seems to compromise performance too much for small savings of space.

asterisx

Honorable
May 12, 2012
I like AIO's more than desktops for their paltry form factor and battery backup. You can't criticize every product on cost-effectiveness. And given the configuration, they are pretty competitive to high-end desktops.

InvalidError

Titan

But it does look more tidy: only one cable for power instead of one cable for display power, one cable for PC power, one cable for display data and possibly a USB cable for the display's built-in USB hub. Only one item to dust off instead of two, only takes the space of the display on the desk, etc.

So there are plenty of life-style reasons for people who do not care all that much absolute performance, features, upgradability, etc. to prefer AIOs.

The main reason I do not care about AIOs is simply that none of them meet my requirements and even if there were, the prices would be hundreds of dollars more expensive than a standard PC+display setup... so, for a few hundred dollars, I will endure the extra wiring and clutter.

I suppose another scary factor with AIOs is power supplies: proprietary form factors, probably proprietary output voltages too since they need to feed the LCD backlight and battery and OEMs often shave pennies in power supplies that often turn into predictable just-out-of-warranty failures.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, I fail to see how this trumps a small form factor PC and a dedicated monitor. It seems to compromise performance too much for small savings of space.
I think Apple made a solution for you many years ago, even if it's the size of a CRT.

zhunt99

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014

I still think even Windows ME would be preferable to those still.

I don't know why MSI wants to make this AIO w/o a stand. Looking down is bad for your posture, and it will exacerbate glare from any nearby ceiling lights.

This design could definitely use some refinement! (and a stand)

TechieNewbie

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
A gaming AIO...

Yes I am aware that this comment adds nothing to the conversation; but then we all already know to avoid this thing, so it's a wash either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.