[SOLVED] MSI Tomahawk Max vs. Mortar Max

f_X

Feb 19, 2020
Hi, I am deciding between those two motherboards.

From my point of view, these are the main differences:
  • The Tomahawk is ATX, while the Mortar is mATX. Would the former be better in terms of cooling/airflow because attached components would be more spaced? The case will be the Phanteks P400A RGB, which comes with 3 front intake fans, and the CPU cooler will be the Scythe Fuma 2.
  • Both motherboards seem to have the same or very similar VRMs, but the Tomahawk has an additional heat sink on the top part. I am currently considering a Ryzen 5 3600, but later, I might step up to a higher processor if the price/performance ratio is good. Also, although the 3600 doesn't allow for much overclocking, the memory modules may do. So, would this additional heat sink be helpful for a higher processor or memory overclocking?
These are other differences that may or may not be relevant:
  • The Mortar has an additional M.2 slot, but if I ever put a second SSD, it would probably not run as fast as the one connected to the first slot, so this second slot is not too advantageous, right?
  • The Tomahawk has one more 4-pin fan connector, which may be handy if I want to throw in an additional fan, but I can probably daisy-chain some fans to connect more to the Mortar, right?
  • The Mortar has two additional USB 3.0 ports on the back and S/PDIF output, which is nice.
  • The Tomahawk has a 4-pin water-pump-fan connector, but may not be relevant as I don't plan to use water cooling (at least for now).
So, if you have answers to my questions or additional thoughts, please let me know.

Solution
You're lucky the Mortar Max is available in your country/ region!

That being said, if you're buying an ATX case anyway, just get the Tomahawk. It's a great board.