MSI Unchains You With A VR PC Backpack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Couldn't they give this infinite battery life by putting one of those dodgem electric poles on the top, all you need is an electrified net on your ceiling and you're good to go ;)

I dunno about this though; 60-90 minutes doesn't seem like much, I know most integrated GPUs probably aren't up to the task with more demanding VR games, but what about things like the 950M? I guess I just feel like they could make a system even smaller and longer-lasting.

bryanlarsen

Reputable
May 27, 2014
Or you could just wait for tomorrow and pick up a Polaris laptop. It'll be cheaper, lighter, and with better battery life. And you'll actually have a useful laptop for when you're not doing VR.

nVidia left the door wide open for AMD to sell tons of $200, 50W VR-ready Polaris chips. Why spend $400 on a VR card when a $200 card is good enough? It's a historic opportunity. Knowing AMD, they'll blow it.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
Now just get the pad so you can run in place for movement and you will become an athlete lugging around a 20-50 lbs backpack.

If you're just running in place, you have no need for this backpack. This is for room-scale without a cord to trip over.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
What a stupid idea.

The Oculus requires the use of a USB-connected camera that sits on your desk. - Can't use this thing.
The Vive requires the use of a breakout box with a wall wart. Even if they have some type of hookup inside of the pack to power the breakout box, you're still limited to a 15mx15m square of movement due to how the lighthouse tracking works. Why would you substitute a cord that you don't even notice after 30 seconds with a 50lb backpack that you're going to notice more as time goes on?

Status
Not open for further replies.