MSI Unveils Dual-Core NetTop With DVD Burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I just build one similar to this. Looks identical to the picture. Mine has: MSI Wind barebone w/ single core atom, DVD Burner, 750GB HDD, 2GB RAM.
I paid a total of $288.45 after shipping the parts. Looks to be a pretty solid machine for basic tasks. It is pretty snazzy looking in black and a perfect perch for your LCD Stand. I doubt the unit in the article will ship with anything bigger than a 250GB hard drive, probably 512 or 1GB ram, and a Linux Distro. Probably worth buying in any case if it's in the $250.00 range as it can easily be repurposed. Perfect Home Server, web browsing, email, office type tasks. I would buy another one if I can get it for cheaper with a duel core.

jrabbitb

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
the dual core brings to mind some linux MVC, and at this price point they could be all over my house!

Dual cores: I like to think 1 core goes to background stuff like keeping the OS doing its usual thing, and the other core goes to my app. no waiting for processor time like back in the days of single cores, god do you remember that, all that context switching.

G

Hands on, and bench results requested please!

Thanks toms for letting us know;I'm into finding a small lowpower perhaps Atom based system; which if possible could be paired with a 4500 series videocard from AMD/ATI; for occasional gaming.

The majority of the time I need it for download client, chatroom client, webserver, and perhaps some office applications,mails etc...

Preferably not to heat my house.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Maybe these will be sold through netflix when production get's ramped up. Would be perfect for on-demand video/youtube viewing. Still waiting for them to hit the market. Do they mention if it comes with a HDD for the price listed or did I miss it?

Status
Not open for further replies.