Question MSI X370 gaming plus doesnt post with r5 3600 even after bios flash

Dec 2, 2022
Hello, this is my first thread here :D

I have a question for more experienced computer people. I have bought 2 boards off the ebay (msi x370 gaming plus and x370 carbon pro) as well as some cpus (2600x and 3600). I tried to use 3600 with Gaming plus board but it doesn't post. Board has cpu and ram leds turned on. I tried the same cpu and ram on Carbon pro board and it works with no issues. Testing the 2600x on Gaming Plus i found out that it doesnt post as well, while 1500x did post.
Then i found that the board has some bios version from 2020, which means it should be supporting 3 series because the 3600 came in july 2019 (i think). Anyway I flashed the bios to latest version but it still doesnt change. MSI Carbon pro posts every time with every cpu. Funny thing is that after i tried 2600x on Carbon pro board, I could post with it on Gaming plus, don't know why is that.
Anyway, what is the next thing I should try, seems to me that x370 boards should be working all the same (regarding the cpu compatibility).

if you need more specifics please say in the comments!

thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Could you state which BIOS versions you're on for both motherboards? Also, what ram are you working with? Which slots are you populating on the motherboard for both of them? Lastly, have can you state how you flashed the BIOS on the board to the latest?

Dec 2, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Could you state which BIOS versions you're on for both motherboards? Also, what ram are you working with? Which slots are you populating on the motherboard for both of them? Lastly, have can you state how you flashed the BIOS on the board to the latest?

Hey! thanks for the reply. RAM i am using is G.Skill Aegis 3200 CL 16-18-18-38 F4-3200C16D-16GIS 2x8Gb. It worked previously for me on Asrock x370 Pro4 with 1500x.
So the BIOS files i got from MSI site and for Gaming plus board they are: Latest: E7A33AMS.5L4 and one designated to support Ryzen 3600 series E7A33AMS.5L4
I just downloaded the file and flashed it with USB using Mflash tool in MSI bios. For the Carbon board i don't know since I sold it already.

EDIT: RAM slots i used were always A2 and B2.

Lutfij

Titan
Try and flash the board with this BIOS version;
https://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7A33v5J.zip
If you can flash to above said BIOS, POST with a known working prior generation processor, then try and flash the BIOS to the latest 1.2.0.7 version and see if that helps.

If you're able to POST with a 1000 series processor, then it might very well be a corrupt BIOS/incorrect BIOS version. The processors work on another board, which would indicate that the processors aren't at fault.

Side note, did you clear the CMOS after every BIOS flash/update?

Dec 2, 2022
got more weird info. So i went ahead and just reinstalled Gaming plus board and put 1 ram stick into A2 as per manual, and put 3600 cpu...and it worked!
but when i inserted other memory stick into b2 it did not want to post. Leaving only 1 stick in b2 also didnt want to post.
Put 2600x in and it posted every time regardless of RAM (1 stick or 2 sticks in A2 B2). Very strange currently. I did not clear the CMOS after bios updates, i will try it now.

Dec 2, 2022
update: looks like there is an issue with Dual channel on this. After I put RAM in slots A1 A2 it posted straight up. Channel 2 doesnt work (B1 and B2) only for ryzen 3600. On other CPUs both channels work. However, i tried 3600 with Carbon board and it worked with dual channel. Stumped.