MSI X470 Cmos reset confusion

rigger922

Reputable
Dec 7, 2018
Hello,Guys and girls i'm currently about to update my bios to its latest version,I have the latest verson of my bios on a usb drive ready to install but im a little stumped with somehting. I know from past expereince that clearing the CMOS after bios update is recommended. However i don't have experience with msi boards. One thing is telling me to make sure system is off and power cable is pulled out before reset and another is saying just make sure system is off. Also i have updated my chipset drivers as it is recommended to do so by MSI.

MB- MSI X470 Gaming Plus
Bios update location - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS#down-bios
Forum about clearing Cmos without pulling power cable -https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=31222.msg178956#msg178956

Solution
You may want to post a new thread about those issues with a new title. Viewers may disregard this thread thinking it is solely about the CMOS reset problem. If you do, mark this one as solved. (The mods will close one of them if the topic appears identical)

I suspect resetting the BIOS may have set something back to default that was modified in BIOS. Resetting the BIOS after a BIOS update was unnecessary. Resetting any changes you had previously made is important, however. Might try re-installing the MB drivers again in case they have been configured according to previous BIOS settings you had. Hopefully you won't have to do a clean Win install.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I've never reset the CMOS before doing a BIOS update. The update replaces the old BIOS and clears the CMOS anyway. You'll have to enter BIOS and fix any settings you had changed.

But yes, the board should be de-energized before shorting the CMOS reset pins. I usually switch off the PSU and hold the start button in for a few seconds to discharge any currents that may be present. (probably doesn't do any good on modern boards, but its habit)

rigger922

Reputable
Dec 7, 2018
So i updated my bios earlier today and reset my cmos via the reset switch on my motherboard
made sure my bios is up to date. After the bios updated via M-Flash windows booted and everything was fine,so i then switched the sytem off and reset the Cmos via the switch after this all the problems started happening list below and my specs for my pc are on my profile.

1. Couldn't boot to windows after Cmos reset computer switched on aswell as M+K but stuck on black screen / sorted it by removing the Cmos battery for 10mins then booted to windows. Except i have had the black screen come back a couple times after restarts but as of right now the computer is booting fine,dont know if this is gonna happen again.

2. Front I/O panel USB's are not working properly with either gamepad/mouse/usb drive etc
they work then they don't in other words

3.Driver problems for HID-Compliant headset driver device manager showing exclamation mark next to that driver/unplugged headset and then plugged back in and the driver problem went away headset was working fine before and after.

4.Constant windows notification sound playing/ stopped via disabling notification sounds in windows but this is a temporary solution

this is the spec for my motherboard which is were i dowloaded the lastest bios and installed via m-flash- https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLU...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You may want to post a new thread about those issues with a new title. Viewers may disregard this thread thinking it is solely about the CMOS reset problem. If you do, mark this one as solved. (The mods will close one of them if the topic appears identical)

I suspect resetting the BIOS may have set something back to default that was modified in BIOS. Resetting the BIOS after a BIOS update was unnecessary. Resetting any changes you had previously made is important, however. Might try re-installing the MB drivers again in case they have been configured according to previous BIOS settings you had. Hopefully you won't have to do a clean Win install.

Solution

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from rigger922 : "Weird stuff after Bios Update and Cmos reset"

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from rigger922 : "Problems after bios update"