Question msi x570-a pro vs gigabyte x570 ud

infradeath

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2013
im trying to figure out the differences, pros and cons of these boards. does anyone have experience with them or can recommend one over the other? i understand they are both pretty good. still im curious, does the vrm, phase count and power layout of the boards make any difference? why does the msi board have 8+4pin 12v, but less vrms, mosfets and whats the reason behind this? which board has better pcb, layout and chip quality? which one does have the better sound? thanks for any input on this.

so far i got:

x570 ud:
pro:
  • more vrms / real phases, cpu mosfets, soc mosfets
  • cheaper
  • better chips? (lower rds on mosfets)
  • bios flash button
  • 8 pin 12v cpu
con:
  • alc887
  • cooler
  • poor looking forum
  • no type c usb
  • layout and pcb(?)
x570-a pro
pro:
  • alc1220
  • frozr cooler
  • better layout?
  • better pcb?
  • bios flash button
  • better forum / support, community updates(?)
  • type c usb
  • ez debug leds
con:
  • 8+4 pin 12v cpu
  • less vrms / real phases, cpu mosfets, soc mosfets
  • more expensive

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Are these the only two options you have at your disposal? If so, then I'd pick the MSI board for having the features that I want, like better audio and an extra M.2 slot. What are you looking for from the board? Maybe better overclocking, better aesthetics or better audio?

Reactions: infradeath

infradeath

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2013
thanks for your replies! i already got the msi x570-a pro, then realized too late that my psu (be quiet straight power 10) does not even feature the extra 8+4 pin cpu power, which is really a downside i didnt expect. i thought i have it due to cable management, but turned out wrong, theres only 8pin available to the cpu. facepalm

so any board with 8+4pin 12v cpu drops out with this psu. asrock boards and boards over 200$/€ i rule out, too. got an asrock ab350 pro4 atm and it cant run the ryzen 5 3600 due to bad bios, same with b450 fatality gaming k4. there are literally hundreds of other people in the forum with zen2 issues and not a word from asrock, so ill never buy that brand again. im solely looking for low price, high quality chips and stability, features and overclock are rather unimportant.

im returning the msi board and get the gigabyte instead. i wanted the msi board because of the better sound and cooler design, but actually decided for the gigabyte now due to 8pin cpu power only and more vrms, mosfets and phases, as well as cheaper price and maybe "durability".

Oct 24, 2019
thanks for your replies! i already got the msi x570-a pro, then realized too late that my psu (be quiet straight power 10) does not even feature the extra 8+4 pin cpu power, which is really a downside i didnt expect. i thought i have it due to cable management, but turned out wrong, theres only 8pin available to the cpu. facepalm

so any board with 8+4pin 12v cpu drops out with this psu. asrock boards and boards over 200$/€ i rule out, too. got an asrock ab350 pro4 atm and it cant run the ryzen 5 3600 due to bad bios, same with b450 fatality gaming k4. there are literally hundreds of other people in the forum with zen2 issues and not a word from asrock, so ill never buy that brand again. im solely looking for low price, high quality chips and stability, features and overclock are rather unimportant.

im returning the msi board and get the gigabyte instead. i wanted the msi board because of the better sound and cooler design, but actually decided for the gigabyte now due to 8pin cpu power only and more vrms, mosfets and phases, as well as cheaper price and maybe "durability".

You only need to plug the 8 pin and it will work flawlessly. The extra pin is mostly just for show in modern motherboards and is literally useless. Actually most modern PSUs do not have this extra 4 pin. It supposed to be for "extreme overclocking" but really, not needed even for that. The 8pin can give up to 384watt of power to your CPU which is more than extreme.

infradeath

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2013
You only need to plug the 8 pin and it will work flawlessly. The extra pin is mostly just for show in modern motherboards and is literally useless. Actually most modern PSUs do not have this extra 4 pin. It supposed to be for "extreme overclocking" but really, not needed even for that. The 8pin can give up to 384watt of power to your CPU which is more than extreme.

i read that, too, even that specifically the msi x570-a pro will run supposedly normally with 8-pin although the vrms will get hotter then. so theres something going on with only 8 instead 8+4 pin connection. others said that even other components than the cpu are powered over the extra 4 pin and you shouldnt run a board without it. the manual also recommends to plug 8+4. it may still be possible, yet actually unclear, its required only for oc. i didnt wan to run the board in a way its not meant to be and probably risk damage or instability over time.

msi was sent back ;( , gigabyte comes on saturday and ill leave a little review here again then, too, if all works well hopefully.

Last edited:

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Good that you got rid of the MSi board... That MSi board is one of the three MSi boards that have really crappy VRMs... The VRM design is so junk, the VRMs reaches temps of 95+ degrees, higher than any other X570 board on the market.

infradeath

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2013
Good that you got rid of the MSi board... That MSi board is one of the three MSi boards that have really crappy VRMs... The VRM design is so junk, the VRMs reaches temps of 95+ degrees, higher than any other X570 board on the market.

i head reports about blown vrm on msi boards, too. im using the gigabyte x570 ud now and it turned out really nice. best board i ever had.