MSI X99S SLI Plus - Trouble with DIMM 3! Please help!

sajhas

Commendable
May 14, 2016
Hi guys,

Today I booted my PC to find that it would not boot properly. The PC would light up and sound as if it was working (with slightly irregular fan speeds) however, the monitor would not display anything but a black screen (but did not show "no signal" message).

Initially, I thought I had a GPU problem however, after swapping with another working GPU the problem persisted. I then proceeded to clear the CMOS... no luck there.

After many hours of testing, I discovered that the issue related to the DDR4 RAM (Corsair Vengance 4gb) installed in the DIMM 3 slot. My set up is 16GB DDR4 (4x4GB) configured in DIMM 1, 3, 5 and 7.

Now, the issue is not with the RAM, I tested it in other slots and it works. I am certain the issue is with the DIMM 3 slot. Not being able to use this slot means I am currently using the PC with only 12GB RAM (DIMM 1, 5 and 7).

After removing the RAM from DIMM 3, I was able to boot up after which I updated the BIOS to the latest version hoping that would fix things... no luck.

Now I am out of options and ideas and would really appreciate some help!

History:
- Built PC in June 2015
- No Issues till today
- PC has always recognised 16GB of RAM with no issues
- DIMM voltage currently showing at 1.2 - not sure how to change this or if I should?
- XMP not currently on.
- No overclocking
- No dust within machine

Thanks!

Solution
try reseating your cpu. could be a bad cpu connection (memory controller is in cpu) and ive seen several post where even the heat sink pressure can cause memory issues with intel's socket design.