[SOLVED] MSI Z490 + 10700k - No POST after changing CPU ?

pearsondka

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
Howdy folks!

Just got a 10700k to upgrade my 10100 for a steal along with a Kraken X42 from a buddy to cool it.

The install went good and I booted into the BIOS (MSI Z490 wifi Edge) to make sure everything was good.

While I was in there I activated XMP again and changed the cooler to the water cooler/AIO option. I also saw the "Memory Try it!" section and selected DDR4 3600 CL16 and hit F10 to save and reset. The system restarted and got hung up on the RAM debug light. Waited about a minute and got nothing so I reset the system only for it just to hang on the CPU debug light.

And that's what I keep getting after a few hours of troubleshooting. I've tried the following:
  • Cleared CMOS
  • Removed CMOS battery
  • Changing RAM sticks
  • Switching back to the i3
  • Switching back to the stock intel cooler
  • Switching to my spare 650w inwin PSU
  • Taking apart the entire system and rebuilding it
And still stuck on the CPU debug light. Kind of at a lost at this point and would love to hear some other ideas or solutions!

Solution
Yea tried both CPUs on an ASUS B560 board and they booted up fine. Definitely looking like a board issue unfortunately.

Are all MSI boards like this or just this model line?
Well the problem I reported is a software bug , not hardware one .
To my knowledge only MSI z490 have this problem . Higher end models that have bios flashback button option that allow users to unbrick the mobo at home .
People with models like yours have to either RMA the mobo or take it to some repair shop that have a tool to flash the bios back .. The details are in the thread I cited

7medd

Reputable
Nov 14, 2020
Yea tried both CPUs on an ASUS B560 board and they booted up fine. Definitely looking like a board issue unfortunately.

Are all MSI boards like this or just this model line?
To my knowledge only MSI z490 have this problem . Higher end models that have bios flashback button option that allow users to unbrick the mobo at home .
People with models like yours have to either RMA the mobo or take it to some repair shop that have a tool to flash the bios back .. The details are in the thread I cited

Reactions: pearsondka
Solution

pearsondka

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013

Yea ended up being the MOBO. Just picked up a brand new GB Z590 UC and got it up and running.

Thanks for the information though! I most likely will take old board into my local shop to try to get it fixed to have a spare board just in case.

Reactions: 7medd