Question MSI z490 + i9 10900K random issues

bishopi5

Distinguished
Ok guys, had trouble with this new build ever since i built it, always had it overclocked tried many different completely stable settings and always would manage to randomly restart, load or no load

After many threads and many headaches i ended up downloading intel XTU, running the exact same settings as i did in bios and it hasnt restarted ever, in months, im just wondering what could be causing this if anyone knows?

i9 10900k + NOCTUAH NH-D15
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
GTX 1070 XTREME GAMING
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS NVME
RM750 (grey label)
CORSAIR RGB PRO 3200 (8gb+8gb)

Lutfij

Titan
Out of curiosity, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Version for your OS assuming you're on Windows 10? Often times a reboot of sorts can happen when your power plan isn't right or that you have a corruption in your OS or the drivers are corrupt(or the OS). How old is the PSU in your build? Might want to see if dialing down the overclocks changes the issue.

bishopi5

Distinguished
Newest bios because of the issues i updated, i have latest windows 10 enterprise fully up to date using "ultimate peformance plan" have tried revert to "high performance" had same issues, New install of windows, have even reformatted once thinking it was drivers

I tried MANY stable settings, and by stable i mean stable, cinebench r20 and r23 and prime95 for hours no errors no nothing, the reboots would happen completely randomly, usually not even under load, every 3-7 days

The absolutely only thing that stopped it was putting everything to stock settings, which is not what i built this PC for, so after weeks of running stock and realising the problem is gone, i tried intel XTU, at first with very mellow settings, after weeks im now at 5.1 all core with 0.3 less volts then the MB needed for the same frequency, and it has never restarted once, is the motherboard faulty? if so why would software be able to run the same frequency / voltage no problems, im so confused

Power supply is brand new, as it was the general conseses that it was my PSU in every thread i opened, even though i kept saying i didnt think it was, old PSU was CoolerMaster V650

Have spent over $400 so far trying to fix the issue, bought the PSU and bought a UPS thinking it could be my house wiring

Last edited: