Question MSI Z490M New CPU VGA Light On

ericstar945

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013
Hey everybody! Need some help solving this one. I recently put together a computer using some used and new parts. I will list what is used/new below. Anyways, I wanted to use an 11 gen Intel processor I had, 11900KF, but I knew I needed to update the bios for 11 gen to work. I had a 10 gen Celeron I put into the board, and booted the machine up just fine, but I quickly found out this board was from an OriginPC and I couldn't use retail MSI bios. I got with origin support and they gave me a flashing tool so I could load a retail bios back to the board. That went great and I updated to the most recent bios so I could use my 11 gen. I then put my 11 gen I9 KF in the board and boot up. My backlit keyboard lights up for a second then goes dark, but on my monitor shows "CPU or Memory has changed click F1 or F2 for whatever action" totally expected, but my keyboard isn't working, I try another keyboard same thing. So I reboot. Now just a black screen is shown on the monitor, and now the VGA white light is on, in the EZ Debug. There isn't "No signal" to the monitor, it is just black.
Steps I have tried:
Re-seat processor
Re-seat all power supply cables to Mobo and GPU
Re-seat RAM
Different GPU (GTX 1060)
CMOS Clear (just touch the posts with a screwdriver for 10 secs right?)

Things I will try (Ran out of time this morning)
Using HDMI cable instead of DP
Put celeron back in to see if it boots

I know the I9 is KF with no iGPU, but the whole time the celeron was in the mobo I was using GPU for display. Any bios settings needed for 11 gen or KF processors?

Used Parts:
MSI Z490M Mobo
Lenovo RTX 2070 Super NVLINK
New
I9-11900KF
Thermaltake 850w Modular
Fractal Pop Mini
Artic Freezer II
Thermaltake Water 3.0 (G12 Bracket for GPU)
GSkill Trident Z CL14 3200MHZ 32GB
WD Black NVME

Lutfij

Titan
Thermaltake 850w Modular
Thermaltake is the brand of the unit, while 850W is the advertised wattage of the PSU. What is the model of the unit and how old is the PSU at this point? If this was purchased second hand, you will need to ascertain what the PSU powered prior to the RTX2060.

Disconnect from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery and press and hold the power button down for 30secodns. Replace the CMOS battery after 30 mins and then try powering up the system.

ericstar945

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013
Hey everybody! Need some help solving this one. I recently put together a computer using some used and new parts. I will list what is used/new below. Anyways, I wanted to use an 11 gen Intel processor I had, 11900KF, but I knew I needed to update the bios for 11 gen to work. I had a 10 gen Celeron I put into the board, and booted the machine up just fine, but I quickly found out this board was from an OriginPC and I couldn't use retail MSI bios. I got with origin support and they gave me a flashing tool so I could load a retail bios back to the board. That went great and I updated to the most recent bios so I could use my 11 gen. I then put my 11 gen I9 KF in the board and boot up. My backlit keyboard lights up for a second then goes dark, but on my monitor shows "CPU or Memory has changed click F1 or F2 for whatever action" totally expected, but my keyboard isn't working, I try another keyboard same thing. So I reboot. Now just a black screen is shown on the monitor, and now the VGA white light is on, in the EZ Debug. There isn't "No signal" to the monitor, it is just black.
Steps I have tried:
Re-seat processor
Re-seat all power supply cables to Mobo and GPU
Re-seat RAM
Different GPU (GTX 1060)

Things I will try (Ran out of time this morning)
Using HDMI cable instead of DP
Put celeron back in to see if it boots

I know the I9 is KF with no iGPU, but the whole time the celeron was in the mobo I was using GPU for display. Any bios settings needed for 11 gen or KF processors?

Used Parts:
MSI Z490M Mobo
Lenovo RTX 2070 Super NVLINK
New
I9-11900KF
Thermaltake 850w Modular
Fractal Pop Mini
Artic Freezer II
Thermaltake Water 3.0 (G12 Bracket for GPU)
GSkill Trident Z CL14 3200MHZ 32GB
WD Black NVME
I swapped back the celeron and it reset defaults and booted back up! I then made sure everything looked great, then tried the 11900 again. Same prompt “cpu or memory has changed, press f1 or f2” but I can’t use my keyboard to press one, no lights on it or the mouse. Worth trying another bios revision?