Question MSI Z790P WIFI DDR4 no ethernet - can't login into windows

Mar 17, 2023
Please note before you answer "install the drivers" I cannot login into windows

Built a PC with the above motherboard.

Old SSD with windows on it. Windows boots up. I have forgotten all local passwords.

Plugged PC via ethernet into switch, this should allow PC to connect to its old domain so I can login with the domain password.

Windows login screen shows no ethernet (ethernet leds are flashing orange and green).

Online search indicates that MSI might not have loaded the ethernet / network drivers. I have a DVD that came with the motherboard.

How do I get the drivers installed if I can't login to windows?

Thanks

Nathkrul

Notable
Sep 22, 2022
Download them on another device onto a USB stick and install them.

Just so you know, moving an installation from one pc to another is fraught with disaster.

Always install a fresh installation of Windows on new hardware.

Mar 17, 2023
Download them on another device onto a USB stick and install them.

Just so you know, moving an installation from one pc to another is fraught with disaster.
Thanks but just to be clear how? "Download them on another device onto a USB stick and install them." Can I do that via the flash menu in the bios?

Please note my first line in bold: "Please note before you answer "install the drivers" I cannot login into windows "

USAFRet

Titan
Please note before you answer "install the drivers" I cannot login into windows

Built a PC with the above motherboard.

Old SSD with windows on it. Windows boots up. I have forgotten all local passwords.

Plugged PC via ethernet into switch, this should allow PC to connect to its old domain so I can login with the domain password.

Windows login screen shows no ethernet (ethernet leds are flashing orange and green).

Online search indicates that MSI might not have loaded the ethernet / network drivers. I have a DVD that came with the motherboard.

How do I get the drivers installed if I can't login to windows?

Thanks
All this falls under:
A new motherboard often/usually requires a full OS reinstall.

Prepare for this, before you do a major parts swap.

From another system, yours or a friends, prepare a new OS install USB.

Mar 17, 2023
All this falls under:
A new motherboard often/usually requires a full OS reinstall.

Prepare for this, before you do a major parts swap.

From another system, yours or a friends, prepare a new OS install USB.
Yes - i was pleasantly surprised that windows did not kick up a fuss with an old SSd on a new mobo. maybe it will if it ever connects to the net.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes - i was pleasantly surprised that windows did not kick up a fuss with an old SSd on a new mobo. maybe it will if it ever connects to the net.
Old OS + new motherboard, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine.
  2. It fails completely.
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

You are at #3.
The question is, how long do you want to mess with the old OS install, before you give up and do the full wipe and reinstall anyway?

Reactions: Nathkrul