MSI Z97 Mpower - Power connectors?

Sokar408

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
I have a few questions for all you hardware jocks our there! :)

On my new mother, the MSI Z97 Mpower, there is 2 new power plugs I have never had on any previous motherboard.

First it has any additional 4 pin CPU power plug, next to the 8 pin CPU power plug. The store in which I purchased it said, that until I was planning on trying to set OC records, I would not need to plug in that extra 4 pin CPU power plug (which my Power supply doesn't have anyway). To your mind, is this accurate? (I have had it running no problems so far, without the extra 4 pin CPU power plug, but I always like a second opinion)

The second plug, is a 6 pin power plug, right above the top PCI-E lane. You can see both plugs on this picture: http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2014/05/msi-z97-mpower-review/z97_mpower-1-1280x1024.jpg

Now so far I had plugged in a power cable for this plug, but I can't honestly see what good it is suppose to do. All modern graphics cards has there own power plugs, so why put a GPU power plug, on the motherboard?

What is your take on this?

Solution
You are correct. You do not need the second 4-pin for the CPU. This is for people that need the extra amount of power for extreme overclocking. Sane OC or regular usage will not require this.

Same for the 6 pin GPU. It is just for added stability. If you have the connectors then go ahead and plug them in but by no means are you required to have them.

kira70591

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
You are correct. You do not need the second 4-pin for the CPU. This is for people that need the extra amount of power for extreme overclocking. Sane OC or regular usage will not require this.

Same for the 6 pin GPU. It is just for added stability. If you have the connectors then go ahead and plug them in but by no means are you required to have them.

Solution