News MSI's 32-inch 1440p Quantum Dot Gaming Monitor is $270 Off

qwertymac93

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
4k input is nice but the PS5 now supports 1440p120 output and that's probably the ideal mode for this display.

It's too bad this is an IPS panel as I think the greater contrast level of a VA panel is generally the better choice for a desktop monitor.

Saintalchemyst

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
4k input is nice but the PS5 now supports 1440p120 output and that's probably the ideal mode for this display.

It's too bad this is an IPS panel as I think the greater contrast level of a VA panel is generally the better choice for a desktop monitor.
What? That is in no way true anymore. With a 1ms IPS panel vs a VA panel's smearing when panning the camera quickly in game I'd take a IPS (which has much better color accuracy tan any VA now or the past) with a 1ms response time any day. VA were a decent "compromise panel" between the older IPS panels which had slow response times and TA panels that great response times but horrible washed out color. Not anymore. IPS has advanced to the point this old drawback is virtually eliminated in todays IPS panels.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
What? That is in no way true anymore. With a 1ms IPS panel vs a VA panel's smearing when panning the camera quickly in game I'd take a IPS (which has much better color accuracy tan any VA now or the past) with a 1ms response time any day. VA were a decent "compromise panel" between the older IPS panels which had slow response times and TA panels that great response times but horrible washed out color. Not anymore. IPS has advanced to the point this old drawback is virtually eliminated in todays IPS panels.
From what I've heard, modern TN panels have colors on par with IPS panels. I should know, I went from a 60hz IPS to a 144hz TN and I didn't notice any difference in the color.

qwertymac93

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Hmm, have 120hz IPS panels improved to 3000+:1 ratios now? It's been a bit since I've compared side-by-side but last I did I noticed the 3x difference in contrast ratio more than the difference in g2g response time. This was in a fairly dark room so that plays a part: I'd imagine in a brighter room contrast ratio/IPS glow would be less of an issue.