MSI's GT660 Gaming Notebook Gets Spec'd

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwoz

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
"which doubles the CPU, RAM, and graphics performance with the push of a button."
Lol so they are severely down-clocking it?

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
[citation][nom]qwoz[/nom]"which doubles the CPU, RAM, and graphics performance with the push of a button."Lol so they are severely down-clocking it?[/citation]

When less processing power is required, you can increase battery life by 100%. Sounds good to me.

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Wouldn't surprise me if the CPU, RAM, and graphics run at half-speed on battery power, and all that TDE+ does is clock everything at normal. I severely doubt they could run a laptop CPU and graphics adapter at double their original clock speed.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I have an MSI laptop that OC's from 2.4 to 2.66 with a button, and I can only use it while plugged in because of the power it draws, so i'm assuming the same will apply to this laptop.

Pretty slick laptop though, i love my MSI gaming laptop, it's fantastic.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]wintermint[/nom]Still waiting for the mention of battery life[/citation]
The laptop's battery ran out before it could tell you it only has a 50 minute battery life.

Glad for a redesign on MSI's laptop case. I would estimate it will be 20% cheaper then its competing ASUS model. MSI does have a 5870M laptop but in a different case and its running at around $1300.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Gaming notebook. Ha. One of the funniest contradictions. Whenever someone tells me they bought one, I just shake my head sadly. I could probably put together a real gaming desktop machine AND buy an affordable but useful notebook for a lot less.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
[citation][nom]qwoz[/nom]"which doubles the CPU, RAM, and graphics performance with the push of a button."Lol so they are severely down-clocking it?[/citation]

[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]When less processing power is required, you can increase battery life by 100%. Sounds good to me.[/citation]

MSI have this feature on some of their other gaming laptops. The laptop runs entirely stock until the button is pressed. It then overclocks itself by a small amount. The catch is the laptop must be plugged in for this to work. I can't imagine this laptop being any different.

Rather than an overclocking feature, I would be looking for underclocking feature that when your not gaming or running heavy tasks, the processor underclocks and the GPU enters a very low power state to save battery. I saw a while back talk of putting atom processors in such devices for when the user is doing very light web browsing. Something like that I would find more useful than overclocking.

DoofusOfDeath

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
My Dell Precision M6500 has had a similar configuration and came out almost 6 months ago. I paid just $3000 for it, with a fantastic warranty as well.

mikeadelic

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
[citation][nom]DoofusOfDeath[/nom]My Dell Precision M6500 has had a similar configuration and came out almost 6 months ago. I paid just $3000 for it, with a fantastic warranty as well.[/citation]
"just"?

G

A Gaming Laptop that does not support current graphics libraries? DX11 and OpenGL 4.0??? This thing is good for surfing the Web or watching movies, its for sure not for gaming!!!

frozentundra123456

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Yea, looks sweet. Dont know why they did not put in a DX11 graphics card such as the HD5870 though. It probably uses less power than the GTX285 also. Even the 1200 dollar asus gaming laptop has a HD5870M. I do like the idea of HD display and downclocking to save battery power, although this is basically a plug in device to me.

frozentundra123456

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
BTW, dont really know why people like Maxor127 make fun of gaming laptops (and by implication those who buy them). I bought a "gaming" laptop for my grandson who is moving out of state, and it will let him play all current games at moderate settings, bring the comp with him when he comes here to visit, and use the webcam features of a laptop. I am well aware of the compromises of such a laptop, but chose to buy it anyway.
Granted they will never compete with a desktop for price/performance, but if you only want to game occasionally and dont care about absolute best quality graphics, a gaming laptop makes sense to me. You have a relatively mobile platform that still plays games acceptably.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
[citation][nom]frozentundra123456[/nom]Yea, looks sweet. Dont know why they did not put in a DX11 graphics card such as the HD5870 though. It probably uses less power than the GTX285 also. Even the 1200 dollar asus gaming laptop has a HD5870M. I do like the idea of HD display and downclocking to save battery power, although this is basically a plug in device to me.[/citation]

I just bought Asus G73JH-X1 myself...it only has DVD-RW but at least it's Intel Core i7 with 8GB RAM and ATI 5870M...

whatever this machine spec is, it better be around $1000 or less...

Status
Not open for further replies.