News MSI's M.2 add-in card looks like a GPU, sports two hot-swap PCIe Gen 5 SSD slots

Unfortunately things like this are virtually useless on consumer platforms unless you don't plan on using a video card. Previous iterations required bifurcation support and there's no reason to believe this would be any different.

Intel only allows a single split of CPU lanes so even if you had two PCIe 5.0 slots it wouldn't matter as only one SSD would be recognized in the second. On the AMD side of things it's better, but you have to have two PCIe 5.0 slots and proper motherboard support.

If the bifurcation was handled on the card it'd be an infinitely more compelling product, but would also likely cost a lot more and have lower margins. Thanks Broadcom!

BelowTheL1ne

Prominent
Mar 28, 2023
People who say this is useless replace too many pc's too soon. Give me fans or give me blue screen of death!

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Most ATX motherboards these days seem to have only 1 or 2 16x PCIe slots, making it not usable unless you seek out a board with more slots.

Or give up your GPU.

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Unfortunately things like this are virtually useless on consumer platforms unless you don't plan on using a video card. Previous iterations required bifurcation support and there's no reason to believe this would be any different.

Intel only allows a single split of CPU lanes so even if you had two PCIe 5.0 slots it wouldn't matter as only one SSD would be recognized in the second. On the AMD side of things it's better, but you have to have two PCIe 5.0 slots and proper motherboard support.

If the bifurcation was handled on the card it'd be an infinitely more compelling product, but would also likely cost a lot more and have lower margins. Thanks Broadcom!
^This

It's lazy reporting like this article led to me wasting money on a PCIe NVMe card. Every Tom's article of similar products failed to include this above information. I only found out from reading the MB manual after the card disabled my onboard NVMe.

t3t4

Proper
Sep 5, 2023
Well that's kinda cool/er, literally. While I have no need for such a thing at the moment, I do like the idea of adding gen5 support like this and being able to keep the drives actually cool. This looks like a pretty cool add on card to me.

Rouxenator

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The GPU was a cool story when Voodoo first told it. But it's 30 years later now and needs to stop. The future is APU. Stop feeding the nvidia troll people.

Li Ken-un

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
I’m surprised MSI beat Icy Dock to the punch on a product such as this. Icy Dock doesn’t even have one on their concept page. Although they have plenty for the E3.S/E1.S form factors, which makes sense as M.2 wasn’t even designed for hot swap in the first place.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hot-swap-m2-nvme-ssd-icy-dock
I know about these. They’re not PCIe 5.0. None of their concept products are for PCIe 5.0 M.2 SSDs.