[SOLVED] Mu GPU is running hot on desktop

Tini

Prominent
Jun 1, 2020
My Gtx 1060 3GB is running on 60C temperature on desktop, is that normal ?Is the problem at the power supply because its 300Watt and my Gpu needs minimum 400Watt

Solution
My Gtx 1060 3GB is running on 60C temperature on desktop, is that normal ?Is the problem at the power supply because its 300Watt and my Gpu needs minimum 400Watt
Yes this is completely normal. Most reputable graphics cards are built to withstand temps up to 100C and many, for sound reasons, do not even kick on the fan until at least 60C. Usually, depending on your card, you can download software for it that will allow you to adjust the cooling settings and even graph out the performance of the fan. When playing games, my 1080 will regularly sit in the 80-85C range and runs fine. I know it seems alarming, but GFX chips are built to withstand higher temps.

bignastyid

Titan
Most gpus released in the last few years don't run the fans till they hit 60°C, so those higher idle temps are normal, but the small PSU is an issue you'll want to address. Kinda surprised a 300w unit had the proper pci-e connection(s) for the gpu.

Tini

Prominent
Jun 1, 2020
Most gpus released in the last few years don't run the fans till they hit 60°C, so those higher idle temps are normal, but the small PSU is an issue you'll want to address. Kinda surprised a 300w unit had the proper pci-e connection(s) for the gpu.
So do i need to upgrade my PSU ?

Tini

Prominent
Jun 1, 2020
Most likely. Whats the full system specs including the make and model of the current PSU?
My specs are
I5-3570 3.40GHZ 4cores
8gb ram ddr3 1333mhz
Gtx 1060 3gb Gigabyte
I dont know my PSU model but its 320watt or 300 and its for hp elite 8300 or 8100 case

Tini

Prominent
Jun 1, 2020
Unknown brand, no certifications(atleast none I can find), no professionally done reviews(usually because manufacture doesn't want it torn apart and exposed as cheap garbage), deceptive marketing and from the specs(which they made very hard to find) it's using an old platform. Too many red flags to be recommended.
Ok Thanks !
One last question, if i buy a better PSU with 450W will it decrease my temperature of GPU and will it improve my fps and if i upgrade mu PSU will it remove Fps drops

bignastyid

Titan
No, the temp is normal if you want it lower temps grab a program like MSI After burner and set a custom fan curve so that the fans turns on at lower temps, however there is nothing wrong with 60°C at idle just make sure the load temps are OK.
A good appropriately sized PSU is more of an insurance policy as a bad PSU can lead to stability issues, random shut downs and in some case damage to other components.

Tini

Prominent
Jun 1, 2020
No, the temp is normal if you want it lower temps grab a program like MSI After burner and set a custom fan curve so that the fans turns on at lower temps, however there is nothing wrong with 60°C at idle just make sure the load temps are OK.
A good appropriately sized PSU is more of an insurance policy as a bad PSU can lead to stability issues, random shut downs and in some case damage to other components.
But My screen is not displaying correctly when i connect two monitors edges of objects do not appear correctly when I remove one monitor it looks a little better.Is this a problem of power supply or what kind of problem is this ?

eastonco

BANNED
Jan 18, 2020
Yes this is completely normal. Most reputable graphics cards are built to withstand temps up to 100C and many, for sound reasons, do not even kick on the fan until at least 60C. Usually, depending on your card, you can download software for it that will allow you to adjust the cooling settings and even graph out the performance of the fan. When playing games, my 1080 will regularly sit in the 80-85C range and runs fine. I know it seems alarming, but GFX chips are built to withstand higher temps.

Solution

poorbugger

Distinguished
That's not preferable. I live in a 30C to 34C climate and my ambient temperature is like that. Even with my gpu fans not spinning, my gpu temps sit at 40C. Check your voltage or any background apps that's using your gpu. Run an antivirus program and antimalware to see if your pc caught a virus that uses your gpu to mine. What is the gpu usage and clock at desktop? 60C to 70C is what i get when im gaming under 100% usage. Are your gpu fans spinning at desktop? Make your case has a good airflow