Question Mucked around with X570 AORUS MASTER, now won't boot

Jan 6, 2023
So this has been chugging away for a year (X570 Aorus master, Ryzen 9 3900X, 2x16G DDR4 3600 memory.) I want to repurpose it which required replacing an M.2 NVMe and adding new memory. No problem, right?

So I unscrewed the Bequiet! fan, and when I pulled it out it pulled the processor out of the socket.

So I separated the processor from the fan, placed it gently back into its socket, added some new memory (2x 32G DDR4 3600) so that the pattern in the memory slots was:

• 32G
  • 16G
  • 32G
  • 16G
I replaced the M.2 NVMe, crossed my fingers, and booted.

Now the LED display next to the processor cycles through a few numbers and stops on 27. After a few seconds it'll do that again.

I've:
  • Double-checked that the CPU is seated properly.
  • Seated and re-seated the RAM
  • Tried booting with only the original RAM in the original slots, in the other slots, with the new RAM in both configurations
  • Tried using the BIOS reset button on the back, and removed the battery for 5 minutes, and tried shorting jumper 18
I'm running out of ideas here.

The best I can tell that 27 code is telling me either:
  • There's a memory problem
  • There's something wrong, the system is unstable, and it's not even gonna try to boot.
So, what's my best option here? Do you think I damaged the CPU when it got pulled out? Maybe that damaged the motherboard? Something else?

The only way to swap parts is to buy new parts, and I realize I'm probably going to spend some money, but I'd hate to pay to fix what isn't broken.

DID you bend any pins when you pulled the CPU out of socket? Did you check them closely? That's the only likely way to have damaged the CPU.

Have you reset CMOS? You should do that any time you change CPU or memory configuration.

And lastly: is that memory configuration covered in the owner's manual? It likely is, just something to check carefully.

Jan 6, 2023
Thanks, Drea.

Yes to all of your questions.

The problem is likely resolved at this point. I took a nap and re-approached this thing. I ended up putting a stick of old memory in the slot closest to the processor, and a new stick right next to it, and the machine booted.

Added all the memory:
  • Old
  • Old
  • New
  • New
And saw error 27 again. So 27 likely is indicating a RAM issue.

When I installed the new 32GB sticks by themselves, next to each other in the slots closest to the CPU, we booted and I got my new software installed.

So that's enough for now. I'll research and see if this thing can handle 128G of RAM, and if so I'll buy 2 more of what I just bought that are on sale, and go from there.

Thanks for your help. :)

Thanks, Drea.

Yes to all of your questions.

The problem is likely resolved at this point. I took a nap and re-approached this thing. I ended up putting a stick of old memory in the slot closest to the processor, and a new stick right next to it, and the machine booted.

Added all the memory:
  • Old
  • Old
  • New
  • New
And saw error 27 again. So 27 likely is indicating a RAM issue.

When I installed the new 32GB sticks by themselves, next to each other in the slots closest to the CPU, we booted and I got my new software installed.

So that's enough for now. I'll research and see if this thing can handle 128G of RAM, and if so I'll buy 2 more of what I just bought that are on sale, and go from there.

Thanks for your help. :)
So...to understand...does it fail to boot up (or you get the error 27) only if there is a memory DIMM in one of the two sockets furthest from the CPU?

The first two sockets are one memory channel controlled by the CPU...the second two sockets are another memory channel. If only the one channel presents you with errors then either the CPU is damaged (probably a pin that's connected to that channel) or one of the CPU socket contacts is damaged.

It's operating right now, with the two DIMM's in the nearest socket, in single-channel mode and greatly reduced memory bandwidth.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023
If only the one channel presents you with errors then either the CPU is damaged (probably a pin that's connected to that channel) or one of the CPU socket contacts is damaged.

I retested.

I left the memory in the 2 slots closest to the processor, and tried booting it twice - once with OriginalDIMM1 in the slot furthest from the processor, and again with OriginalDIMM2 in the slot 3rd from the processor.

Error 27 both times.

So the fix, I suppose, will be to pull the processor once more, look closely at it, and at the CPU socket, and see if I can figure out which one is damaged then.

I've bent CPU pins back into straightness before, but that was back in Pentium-90 days and things seem a bit more delicate now... ;)

I've bent CPU pins back into straightness before, but that was back in Pentium-90 days and things seem a bit more delicate now... ;)
I'd try it with one DIMM only at a time, in each of the sockets, to find an inoperable channel.

Also, each time you change memory configuration (type, size, number or location) of memory DIMM's you should do a CMOS reset when troubleshooting. It might work if you don't but this gives it maximum possibility of success by forcing the CPU to retrain memory.

Jan 6, 2023
Well, you nailed it. I couldn't see it with my eyes, but on a zoomed in iPhone photo I can see three outside pins bent down.

I don't think I can straighten those out - it's too small. So I guess I decide how many new cores I want, and what speed...

I'll leave it out of the box for now - no need to risk damaging the socket

Well, you nailed it. I couldn't see it with my eyes, but on a zoomed in iPhone photo I can see three outside pins bent down.

I don't think I can straighten those out - it's too small. So I guess I decide how many new cores I want, and what speed...

I'll leave it out of the box for now - no need to risk damaging the socket
If you want to give it a try, I've managed to salvage a couple CPU's with pins bent all the way down. I used a long sewing needle to lift it enough to get the tip of a Pentel mech. pencil to slide over it, then bend it to the vertical. The trick is to bend slowly, giving the metal time to relax as it's bending. Bend too fast, or too many times, and it will break off. Then slide a credit card down each row, in both directions, to align the pins on both sides to the vertical.

When placing back on the socket, wiggle it side to side while pushing VERY lightly to seat it. If you get very much resistance, pick it up and check again for bent pins. Don't force, if they're perfect straight check the CPU socket for damaged contacts.

It may not work as a pin may break, but if you're already checking out another CPU it's worth a shot. Just make sure it's a good upgrade.