[SOLVED] Mulitple problems, in need of help

Winoys

Reputable
Feb 23, 2019
Some days ago my computer blue screened with the error message "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" for seemingly no reason and since then, more crashes and freezes have happened.

I first built my computer 5-6 years ago and has since then only bought one extra stick of RAM and upgraded from the stock CPU cooler.

Specs:
Windows 10 pro
Motherboard: Asus Z87-k
CPU: Intel i5-4670k
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 280
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 2x8 GB
SSD: Crucial MX100 256 GB
HDD: Western Digital 1TB
PSU: Corsair CX750M
CPU-cooler: Noctua DH15

Before I started any testing I set back my overclocking settings to default. The only component I have previously overclocked is the CPU.

Different blue screens I've gotten:
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

After some searching I figured it could be the RAM's fault, but neither memtest86 nor Windows own mdsched.exe detected any errors.

I have been using Windows 8.1 for many years, but thought that upgrading to Windows 10 might resolve the issues, but sadly, it didn't help. I continued to get the same blue screens as before and the computer has also started crashing without blue screens sometimes. These crashes are from the GPU I believe, since all my screens show different colors. Also worth noting is that the computer had mini-freezes one time, by which I mean that the screens (including mouse pointer) froze for some seconds and then worked again. This stopped after turning off Wallpaper engine (which used a lot of the CPU at the time) and seems like a CPU problem.

All of this has lead me to believe that the motherboard has some problems, but before I go out and buy a new one I'll ask for help online. If you have any tips or need more info about crashes/specs/other things to help, please comment!

Solution
That sounds like gpu,did you try an older driver as well? Would be good to test with another psu as well if possible,but gpu sounds most likely. Just mentioning psu since not the best series from Corsair.
What stuck out like a sore thumb was
since then only bought one extra stick of RAM

Mixing RAM from a different kit usually works but 10% of the time it doesn't work and then we see them here or at other forums.

And now to read the rest. And the greatest minds of all time apparently think alike. You surmised it must be a RAM issue but the tests don't reveal anything. I for one would but a new RAM kit but I would make sure the brick and mortar store had a return policy just in case it didn't fix the issue.

Winoys

Reputable
Feb 23, 2019
What stuck out like a sore thumb was

Mixing RAM from a different kit usually works but 10% of the time it doesn't work and then we see them here or at other forums.

And now to read the rest. And the greatest minds of all time apparently think alike. You surmised it must be a RAM issue but the tests don't reveal anything. I for one would but a new RAM kit but I would make sure the brick and mortar store had a return policy just in case it didn't fix the issue.

I've been using the computer with those two RAM sticks for almost a year with no problems, but just in case I'll see if I can find some extra laying around to try with.

Winoys

Reputable
Feb 23, 2019
If you suspect a ram problem, run memtest86.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.

Already did that before, but did it again, still no errors.

I'm not getting any blue screens anymore, but every now and then the computer freezes and the screens show different colors. I'm going to try and run windows with the built in graphics on the motherboard to see if it still crashes.

Winoys

Reputable
Feb 23, 2019
Update:

I've now reinstalled Windows on my HDD and unplugged the SSD but still crashing without blue screen, the screens show different colors and the sound keeps repeating when this happens. To me it sounds like GPU failure, but there have been many other errors so maybe it's not that? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Winoys

Reputable
Feb 23, 2019
That sounds like gpu,did you try an older driver as well? Would be good to test with another psu as well if possible,but gpu sounds most likely. Just mentioning psu since not the best series from Corsair.
Don't even bother.

Just stress test the GPU to see if it's faulty.

I recommend 3D Mark Fire Strike stress test.

Thank you both for replying. Right now the computer doesn't even boot into windows, after starting it just shows a black screen and my keyboard and mouse does not light up. I'm gonna try and take out the GPU and see if i can boot

Can you get into the bios screen?
With the dedicated graphics card or the integrated graphics adapter.
(don't forget to switch your monitor cable to the adapter you are trying to use)

You can test basic hardware functionality by running memtest86 which does not use windows.

Winoys

Reputable
Feb 23, 2019
Can you get into the bios screen?
With the dedicated graphics card or the integrated graphics adapter.
(don't forget to switch your monitor cable to the adapter you are trying to use)

You can test basic hardware functionality by running memtest86 which does not use windows.

I took out the GPU and everything seems to be working, but I'll run memtest86 to see if it catches any errors. I've also changed back to the SSD and I only have one stick of RAM inside. Later I'll run memtest86 with the other RAM just to make sure nothing is wrong.

Now I hope it's just the GPU, since I already wanted to upgrade it

Winoys

Reputable
Feb 23, 2019
Do you have the proper and current drivers installed for the r9-280?
You can boot into windows safe mode(f8).
That will boot with only essential drivers which will not include the r9-280 drivers.

Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade your graphics.

Yeah I have the drivers, updated after it started crashing but no change. I can try to boot in safe mode also

Winoys

Reputable
Feb 23, 2019
Saw you added ram as well,maybe try each stick on it's own as well. And yes might have worked fine for a while,but is good to test anyway.

Also if possible test with another psu,maybe from a friend or local shop.

Okay, this is probably going to be my last post. After taking out the GPU, I have now run memtest86 individually on both RAM sticks without errors, same with both together. I've also been running aida64 for an hour without errors. Upon putting in the GPU again, I can't even boot into Windows and I can't open Windows in safe mode, it just shows black screen. I've now concluded that it has to be the GPU but I'm going to run aida64 overnight without it just in case. If there are no errors tomorrow, I will buy a new GPU. Thank you everybody for helping me, really thankful that this forum exists! ❤