Multi-core to Single-core emulation? Possible?

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013
I've been playing a game called Combat Arms (made in 2006/2007) which was written in quite a terrible engine. Problem is it has no multi-core support. Is there a program that can emulate/spread out the work to other cores and not just 1?

It's not fun when things get crazy to have 30 fps instead of 100+ and have 1 core be 100% used.

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013

a8 6500
8 gb ram
750 ti

kanewolf

Titan
There is no easy solution to this problem. Without the source code to the you can't parallelize it. And even with the source code you have to be a good software engineer to re-engineer single threaded code. Faster single core hardware is your best bet.

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013

well im getting an 8350 in the future so seems like im screwed :p

Whatever deficiencies the AMD chip has compared to modern Intel offerings, it's still a new(ish) chip and certainly faster than the best chips of 2007. This makes me believe it should run well, even if not as well as it theoretically could. You never mentioned how good or bad the game experience actually is. To me, if the game is playable it wouldn't make sense to reconfigure things just to improve it to a modest degree. On the other hand if there are real problems with playability, there's some odd issue here to to for troubleshooting.

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013

I don't know why but on lowest res and settings vs highest res and settings the fps other then before the game starts to get crazy with many zombies the fps is usually 100+. Wave 5/20+ it starts dipping and by wave 10 it's about 60 then sits at a solid 30 afterwards. That's not playable at all especially since you have to aim.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s-yC6oBm5g (Gameplay of Fireteam mode on it. Usually there is 8 players though and its a lot crazier)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
So Combat Arms is still a live and currently updated game, re-released on Steam in 2012, while it did come out in 2007, there have been quite a few updates (graphical included) since then. However the base game engine will never run multi core, it would need a whole re-write. The issue is in the coding of the original game, as in basically it should run more like 30fps all the time, which is completely normal.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your PC, Some games are just coded poorly or coded for a different type of system, this is one of them, and short of getting a processor whose single cores are faster (Intel), this is how it runs.

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013

Wish Nexon would update their Engines but I think I have better chances of hoping Half-Life 3 will release next week. They make quite a lot of money on the game to but to "save" money they shut down east coast servers (4 years ago) and haven't done anything with the game. Any ideas to help with the lag though?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

LOL that won'tr happen, however apparently they are working on a new version of the game. That said you're just bottlenecking on your single core. Theres really nothing worth doing with this one, you're throwing money at a PC to compensate for poor game programming. Wait for the new version I'm sure it will be multithreaded.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

There is a lot more to it, you can use a VM to multithread an app, but you still need to go into the code to tie it all together. Works for like a data processing type of application, not a game.

mlga91

Admirable
Thats not possible, its like trying to make a cake, you first put all the ingredients together, then you bake the ingredients, and then you decorate it, you cant decaorate it at the same time that you put all the ingredients together.

One thing that i've seen in older games is that if you set the affinity via task manager in only one core you get a nice performance boost, you cant try that to see if it helps. If not, then your only option would be to overclock your CPU or getting another CPU with stronger single threaded performance.

Eggz

Distinguished
Just a word of caution on getting caught up about single core performance, keep in mind the current state of technology. Borderlands 2, a 2012 game, will still overload the current single-threaded king CPU during intense scenes with all the bells and whistles on.