Multi-monitor setup with GTX 1060

nattehine

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017
I just got a nvidia geforce gtx 1060 3gb and I want to run it with 3 monitors.
Two of the monitors have a resolution of 1920x1080, one is 1024x768 and the refresh rate on them are 60hz, I think. One of them I definitely know runs 60hz but I can't plug the others in, which leads up to the actual problem:

The ports available on the graphics card are 2 displayports, 2 HDMI and 1 VGA.
Two of my monitors have VGA cables (one is 1920x1080 and the other is 1024x768) and one has a mini HDMI (1920x1080).
On my last graphics card I was able to run them fine since that card had 2 mini HDMI ports and 1 VGA and I used a VGA to mini HDMI adapter for one of the VGA's.

So for example; could I use a mini HDMI to HDMI adapter on one of them and a VGA to displayport adapter on the other? Or are adapter a no go?
Right now I have one of them plugged in on the VGA port and I want to plug the others in but I'm unsure what port combinations can work.
I don't want to order the wrong adapters or realize they don't work at all.

I just checked the ports on the monitors and all of them have a DVI port as well, don't know if that's relevant or not.

EDIT: I accidentally wrote the wrong type of cable on one of them. It has a mini displayport, not a mini HDMI.

Solution
You said all your monitors have a DVI port? If so, then, it's better to use such ports (as well as HDMI, if any) rather than the VGA.

VGA is purely analog, while DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort carry digital signals. Note that the GTX 1000 series dropped the use of analog (VGA) output ports (unlike your older GPU).

Using adapters is a hit-or-miss (dependent on the quality of the adapter you bought, and if it works well with your setup/cables). If you use the VGA input on your monitors, you must convert the digital signals coming out of your GPU using an ACTIVE adapter (those with a DAC or digital-analog converter). You can't simply use a "passive" adapter (the ones with just a different input/output connector as it does not convert the...
You said all your monitors have a DVI port? If so, then, it's better to use such ports (as well as HDMI, if any) rather than the VGA.

VGA is purely analog, while DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort carry digital signals. Note that the GTX 1000 series dropped the use of analog (VGA) output ports (unlike your older GPU).

Using adapters is a hit-or-miss (dependent on the quality of the adapter you bought, and if it works well with your setup/cables). If you use the VGA input on your monitors, you must convert the digital signals coming out of your GPU using an ACTIVE adapter (those with a DAC or digital-analog converter). You can't simply use a "passive" adapter (the ones with just a different input/output connector as it does not convert the signal for the monitors to display appropriately).

However, if your monitor has DVI (digital), then, you may be able to use non-active adapters because you already are conveying digital signals coming out of your GPU to the digital input of your monitor.

If I was in your situation, I would try something like this:
GPU's HDMI output port ----> HDMI-to-miniHDMI ----> Monitor with miniHDMI input
GPU's HDMI output port ----> HDMI-to-DVI ----> Monitor with DVI input
GPU's DispPort output ----> DP-to-DVI ----> Monitor with DVI input

Solution

nattehine

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017
Thanks for the answers. I'm going to try raisinjohn's solution and get back to you, ones I recieve the adapters I ordered.

Sorry if I posted this reply in the wrong place. Couldn't see a reply function on my phone.

EDIT: I just noticed that raisinjohn's answer metioned inputs on the monitors but what I meant was the plug on the end of the cable that goes into the card.
Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I'm not good with pc terms :S

The input on all monitors are VGA and DVI.