multi-monitor vs 4k vs VR

What will the future (next 1-3 years) bring? I hear talks of multi-monitors, 4k resolution, and virtual reality (Oculus Rift, competitors). Personally, I'm much more interested in virtual realty than mutli-monitors and 4k displays. I'm trying to understand how video cards interact with the VR headsets. Will/do they require extensive amounts of memory similar to multi-monitor displays? Do they operate independently of existing monitor setup?

Solution
There are many different options out there, and it really depends on what you're going to want. Personally, I'm interested in VR as it looks to be the next big step in gaming, immersion, and innovation. 4K also interests me, but it is so expensive right now and takes a very powerful rig to run that it isn't quite feasible for the average person. I would say that a VR headset will not take the place of a good monitor. I certainly wouldn't want to surf the net, read books, etc... on one. As for GPU's, AMD and Nvidia have been working to make their cards have less latency with devices such as the Oculus Rift. Specifically the 980 and 970 are the first to really help out with latency in those devices. For gaming, I believe VR to be the...

pacdrum_88

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2014
There are many different options out there, and it really depends on what you're going to want. Personally, I'm interested in VR as it looks to be the next big step in gaming, immersion, and innovation. 4K also interests me, but it is so expensive right now and takes a very powerful rig to run that it isn't quite feasible for the average person. I would say that a VR headset will not take the place of a good monitor. I certainly wouldn't want to surf the net, read books, etc... on one. As for GPU's, AMD and Nvidia have been working to make their cards have less latency with devices such as the Oculus Rift. Specifically the 980 and 970 are the first to really help out with latency in those devices. For gaming, I believe VR to be the future. Monitors aren't going anywhere soon though.

Check out this article on Toms
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/oculus-vr-oculus-rift-crescent-bay,27741.html

Solution