Question multi partitioned drive trouble?

Jan 8, 2023
Hello im having a bit of trouble and its been a real pain in my side. I bought a new laptop and dident like the amount of crapwear there was preinstalled on my system and wanted a more personal user experience, i opted to install a new operation system.
I formated the nvme m2 drive that the current operating and restore points were on. I tried put a image on the disk using rufus but when i am booting and installing the new os on the laptop it is saying there are no disks. When i browse for disks, there but is the boot disk? I tried to partitian the drive but when i go into disk manager and try create a new volume is is greyed out. I tried formating the drive then creating two partitians and moving over the boot files to one partitian but when doing so the operating system instalation doesnt want to boot.
I am now confused why i am running into problems. Ive never had trouble installing a new operating system when using a hd/ssd.
Hope you guys can help.
Thanks

You are trying to restore an image?

What application was used to make the image?

If I had a bunch of "crapwear" and didn't like it, I would do one of 2 things:

1; keep the existing installation, but remove all possible crapwear.

or

2; do a clean Windows install

But you are instead trying to restore an image. Is that right?

An image you made of C would contain all the crapwear on C.

So, I'm not quite sure what you have done.

More detail and better explanation needed.

Jan 8, 2023
Sorry let me clarify. I am installing a operating system from a usb drive containing a image file.
But with all the trouble ive had i even tried installing a old windows 10 disk i had from a cd/dvd drive.
Whenever i load the installer from the usb drive containing the new operating system the operation starts but when asked to pick a drive it is blank.
Ive formated the m.2 drive when connected externally to my dekstop. And its visible then. I can see the drive when its loaded thru a operating system but not during a new installation when its pluged internally of the laptop.
Please let me know if i can clarify any furter so that we can solve my trouble.

"Image file"??

From where; how made; did you use Microsoft Media Creation Tool or what? "Image file" made with Windows? "Image file" made with Macrium?

If you are attempting a clean install, you should boot from the installer and you should see quickly see your hard drive and all of its partitions. You'd DELETE all partitions when they are shown on your screen and then install to the remaining free space. You would not have to format anything.

But I'm still not sure what you've done. Ideally, you'd make an installer using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool with no need for Rufus.

Clarify some more.

Are you in fact trying do a clean install?

Jan 8, 2023
I think your making it sound more complicated then it actually is.
im using rufus to create bootable drive of the image file that contains the operating system installation. All im referring to when saying img file is like a zip file. Its just the files necessary to install something. im doing the same thing as booting a windows install from my cd/dvd drive.
When i create the bootable usb drive and try to install the operating system i am prompted to choose a destination disk to install the operating system.
When selecting a destination disk from the drop down menu is it blank. When i browse for a disk i can see the usb disk i am currently using for the installation process and the m.2 drive but doesnt let me select them.
Ive tried to format the m.2 drive externally over usb on the desktop as the thought being there may me be something leftover on the disk from the previous operating system.
Ive even went as far as buying a brand new m.2 drive with nothing on it and the same thing happens.

Is there a certain way that the m.2 drive has to be partitioned?
Sorry if this is sounding complicated, hopefully i made a bit more sence and someone else may know.

Funny to me tho cause ive never had such problems using a hd/ssd.

USAFRet

Titan
I think your making it sound more complicated then it actually is.
No, we're just a bit confused on what you've done and how you got to this position.

Trying to install a Win 10 on a new blank drive? Here, exactly like this....

If it fails at some point, tell us exactly where and how it failed.

Jan 8, 2023
I honestly explained the problem and dont know if i could be any clearer.
If there is please ask me specifically what part of the explanation did i not give enough details about.
I dident want to install windows, windows was just what i had on a cd/dvd that i used to test out.
I will try your windows media creator but regardless for now, i still cant install my operating system including windows using the conventional matters that ive been using for so many years using hd/ssd and cd or usb flash drive.
This only started happening when using nvme m.2

Is there anything that could make installing onto a m.2 drive different from installing on a regular hd/ssd?

In your first post, you say "i opted to install a new operation system."

In your last post, you say "I dident want to install windows".

I remain confused.

You had crapware and didn't like it.

How did you intend to get rid of it if you didn't want to install Windows?

Jan 8, 2023
In your first post, you say "i opted to install a new operation system."

In your last post, you say "I dident want to install windows".

I remain confused.

You had crapware and didn't like it.

How did you intend to get rid of it if you didn't want to install Windows?

Sorry it seems i needed to clarify, its no bodys fault but of my own if i havent been clear enough so far based on the questions you are providing.
When i was saying operating system i was meaning in a vague sence as to not confuse. I tried to be clearer by using windows and operating system separately when i felt needed but maybe i could of been more clearer. I am not trying to install windows ultimately or but for now maybe i will if i can at least do that. Would just be nice to understand what might make installing onto a m.2 that much more complicated then a hd/ssd.
With these new findings i hope i have been clear enough to enlighten anyone thus far with my ongoing dilema.

There should be NO difference between installing Windows on an M.2 NVMe or on an ordinary HDD ASSUMING the NVMe is compatible with your motherboard as a boot drive and is not defective in some way.

You have been using an "image file" of some type that you got or made somewhere. I would give up on it, whatever it is.

If, I say if, you want to clean install Windows, the first step would be to make an installer on a USB stick of at least 8 GB capacity using Microsoft's "Media Creation Tool".

Rufus not needed.

You should not have to do ANYTHING to the NVMe drive before you start. No need to delete partitions. No need to format.

Disconnect ALL drives other than the one you want to receive Windows.

You then boot from that USB installer stick. Among the first few screens, you should see your destination drive for Windows, showing each individual partition. Delete ALL of them. ALL OF THEM. That leaves 100% unallocated space. Select that space as the destination for Windows and let the USB installer stick take over...your PC should reboot a time or two.

Follow the prompts as the installation proceeds.

Your alternative is to live with the crapware or remove each individual piece of crapware from the existing Windows installation.

It's entirely possible you will notice little or no improvement in performance by removing the crapware.

Sorry it seems i needed to clarify, its no bodys fault but of my own if i havent been clear enough so far based on the questions you are providing.
When i was saying operating system i was meaning in a vague sence as to not confuse. I tried to be clearer by using windows and operating system separately when i felt needed but maybe i could of been more clearer. I am not trying to install windows ultimately or but for now maybe i will if i can at least do that. Would just be nice to understand what might make installing onto a m.2 that much more complicated then a hd/ssd.
With these new findings i hope i have been clear enough to enlighten anyone thus far with my ongoing dilema.
Basically the only thing required for installing windows on the m.2 is that it have a GPT partition identifier (not MBR). Other that that the windows installer works quickest and easiest if all the drive space is unallocated. Otherwise you will have to allow the installer to delete all of the partitions which you may have already created.

When i create the bootable usb drive and try to install the operating system i am prompted to choose a destination disk to install the operating system.
When selecting a destination disk from the drop down menu is it blank. When i browse for a disk i can see the usb disk i am currently using for the installation process and the m.2 drive but doesnt let me select them.
If you get to this stage press the load driver icon and load the drivers for your motherboard, you will have to download them from the website of the mobo first and put them on the same usb as you use for installing windows.
It should be called pre install driver but it could also have other names.
7645-loaddriver.jpg

Jan 8, 2023
I appreciate the help so far, Im starting to think we all agree on the process of installing a new operating system and that the problem is something unknown relating to the system and the m.2 drive.

I have taken 2 screenshots to try and illustrate my trouble.
In the first image i am showing the m.2 drive connected to my desktop externally and that is has all partitions deleted.
Ive also tried formating in ntfs and assigning and drive letter to it.
In the second image i am showing the m.2 connected internally of my laptop and me running windows installer from a usb flash drive.
OS installer is the usb flash drive and Boot x must be my m.2. Thing is the m.2 drive does not show up as drives available to install the operating system on.
All that shows is the flash drive. If i take out my flash drive and try boot the computer normally. It says no bootable device.
I have went to the acer website and tried looking for drivers for my computer but they dont even have any and under any specs i cant find what motherboard is in the laptop.
If it helps maybe someone can find the drivers i might need.
The laptop i bought was acer predator helios 300 ph315-55-70zv.
Hopefully i can get it to work before the end of the week. If if not i hope i can still return it, I thru out some of the stickers and such that came with the computer.
Right now i have a paperweight that works but for whatever reason it doesnt want to read my m.2 drive during the installation process of the operating system.

ON6Uc9W.jpg

T0DIn13.jpg

"me running windows installer from a usb flash drive."

You still have not told us anything about this Windows installer.

Where did you get it; how was it made; what exactly is on the flash drive, etc.

We know nothing about it.

Post 6 above is a link from USAFRet showing how to clean install Windows. We have no idea if you have followed it or where it failed for you.

Jan 8, 2023
"me running windows installer from a usb flash drive."

You still have not told us anything about this Windows installer.

Where did you get it; how was it made; what exactly is on the flash drive, etc.

We know nothing about it.

Post 6 above is a link from USAFRet showing how to clean install Windows. We have no idea if you have followed it or where it failed for you.

I am using the microsfot media creation tool. At this point it doesnt matter what operating system i install just figure out why i cant install any.
I shouldnt be getting asked anymore what operating system or what image or where it was made. I hope i have provided enough details and illustrations to give a good idea of my trouble.

Jan 8, 2023
So until now you have only tried to install from within windows?!
Try to boot from the usb and see how far that takes you.
Installing from within windows is different then booting from the install medium.

Im not sure i quite understand. I have been booting up the microsoft media creator ( windows) from my usb flash drive.
Please explain what you are referring to?
I have included some more pictures.
First picture is my bios showing two the m.2 drivers that are inside the laptop. Both function properly when connected to my dekstop computer.
Sencond picture shows there are to drives to install anything onto when trying to choose a drive to install windows from the windows setup running off of the flash drive.
I found one person online on the microsoft forum showing the same problem i am. One user suggested what TerryLaze suggested in his other post.
I can not find any information about the motherboard from any specs i look for over the internet.
If someone can help me find the drivers i would need for this computer it would be great.
Its also very suprising how much trouble this type laptop is giving me.
In this situation i would of thought the drivers for the nvme m.2 would be saved along the bios somewhere since that is all i see this computer using.
The similar problem i found someone else having on microsoft website.

PwIILYi.jpg

rGsNibI.jpg

Im not sure i quite understand. I have been booting up the microsoft media creator ( windows) from my usb flash drive.
Please explain what you are referring to?
Never mind, I confused the picture for a installation done from inside windows.

So you bought this laptop. What DVDs did it come with? Did it had a running windows on it when you got it? It should have had a recovery partition alongside the installed windows for you to recover to a working windows install.
So you deleted all of that???
Maybe if you are lucky one of the dvds is a recovery so you can get back to a working laptop, if you are unlucky you will have to pay acer a good amount of money to send you one.

Try loading the Chipset Driver
https://www.acer.com/us-en/support?filter=global_download&search=PH315-55

Jan 8, 2023
Never mind, I confused the picture for a installation done from inside windows.

So you bought this laptop. What DVDs did it come with? Did it had a running windows on it when you got it? It should have had a recovery partition alongside the installed windows for you to recover to a working windows install.
So you deleted all of that???
Maybe if you are lucky one of the dvds is a recovery so you can get back to a working laptop, if you are unlucky you will have to pay acer a good amount of money to send you one.

Try loading the Chipset Driver
https://www.acer.com/us-en/support?filter=global_download&search=PH315-55

Yes i had deleted all partitions including the recovery, I wanted a clean drive to install the new operating system on.
This computer did not come with any dvd or any type of media containing drivers or operating systems.
Dident even come with a manual just some lousy pamphlet with warranty information and diagram of where the audio jacks are and what a computer screen is, Ridiculous!
Thank you for that link i couldnt find it on the acer website, I remember it used to be simple to find things, now its all hidden.
Ive tried other intel drivers and gigabyte drivers and none picked up by the computer during the operating system installation.
But these did, Theres just a bunch of drivers to choose from and well this is the last week before i can return the computer if i can even return it since i thru out that stupid pamphlet.
With all the trouble ive had so far i will most likely return it. If i have time i will try to load of some of the drivers and see if it works. If it does i will report back.
But this was deffenitly a step in the right direction.
What a shame that you need to have drivers separate just to install a operating system.

Do you have multiple drives installed? During install you should have only single drive installed.
CT500P3SSD8 (Crucial P3 500GB PCIe M.2 2280 SSD )​
MTFDKBA512TFH (Micron 3400 M.2 SSD 512GB)​

What version windows are you trying to install?
Windows 7 doesn't have NVME support natively. It requires several hotfixes and nvme drivers integrated into installation.

Make sure Intel RST is turned off in BIOS. And set sata controller to AHCI.

I'd suggest you download latest version for windows 10 (or windows 11)
and recreate your windows installation media.
If you have old windows 10 install media, it may not be able to detect nvme drives properly.

Jan 8, 2023
I just wanted to update, i was able to install a new operating system.
Thank You @TerryLaze for suggesting and finding me those drivers.
Just to help clarify it wasnt the chipset drivers but the intel irst drivers , most specifically - Intel rst vmd contoller.

What is Intel RST VMD controller?

In the latest Intel platforms, Intel® Volume Management Device (Intel® VMD) is used to manage storage devices with the Intel® RST software. The Intel VMD hardware generates 'dummy' devices for multi-function devices when mapped, these functions may be visible to the Windows® operating system.

Because i had thrown the pamphlet out and am not sure if they will allow the return i am going to end up keeping the laptop.
I hope this thread helps others as much as it helped me.

Also @SkyNetRising Ive tried the windows media creator containing windows 10 and windows 11, neither one showed up the drivers that i needed when trying to install the operating system they had to be loaded manually.
After installing there isnt audio driver or a ethernet driver.
Something weird.