Multiple blue screens of death

scorpian61

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
The title pretty much says it all. I have pretty much gotten a variety of blue screens over the past year. I've tried so many different things to try and fix the problems. I just do not know what to do. I am just going to list all the different blue screens I have gotten, the specs of my computer, and some random info relative to my computer that I have performed on the corrupted machine.

BSoD List (I have gotten all of these blue screen errors at least once, and some...many times, on the same system with no hardware changes!):

atikmag.sys
memory_management
fltmgr.sys
reference_by_pointer
bad_pool_header
memory_management
system_serverice_expection
I sometimes get a msg saying bootmgr is not installed, when I try to boot windows to a hard drive that actually has windows 7 on it
Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
ntfs.sys
and...I think there were like 1 or 2 others I have ran across, but I did not write down their name. They were the blue screens that did not occur frequently.

Computer specs:
ATI Radeon 4890HD graphics card
Xion 1000watt p14he power supply
AMD Phenom II x2 550 BE (it actually is unlocked to quad cores at the moment) 3.1ghz
1x western digital 200gb 7200 rpm hard drive
1x seagate 1TB 7200rpm hard drive
Corsair xms3 ddr3 2x2gb ram
some IDE cd writer that came from a 2003 dell
HAF 932 cooler master case
g500 logitech mouse
g15 logitech keyboard
sound blaster audigy WoW wireless headset
trendnet tew-623PI wireless adapter
asus m4a79xtd-evo mobo
HANNS-G 28inch lcd HH281 monitor
some after market fans and lights (I have disabled all of these to see if any bsod's would clear up and no cigar)

Story:
Basically, I can get a BSoD at any given second on my computer it seems like. I have gotten them while playing games, while surfing the internet, looking at my desktop background, ect ect ect. I did notice that when I unplugged my hp printer and disabled the catalyst control center, I seemed to exterminate the atikmag.sys. I think I had another atixxx.sys blue screen but I just cannot remember the exact name; that particular blue screen went away when I unplugged my printer. I have tried reformating everything and only running 1 hard drive (cycled between both hard drives, trying to see if 1 would work by itself alone). I have tried unplugging every fan in my computer. Oh, I also have the memory management bsod come up when my room is particularly hot (I assume maybe the gfx card is on the brink of over heating, but when I monitor the temps right before the suspected bsod is going to occur...I am usually around mid 60s celcius. I have flashed my motherboard's bios to the most updated bios. I sometimes have to rotate which slot I put my memory in, inorder for the computer to actually boot up. The best setup I have had recently, relative to stability of my system, is to have 1 ram stack in the 2nd slot, and the other in the 4th slot. The dual channel on the mobo is for the 1-2 slot, so doing this, I assume, does not put the ram into a dual channel state. I try to airspray as much dust off of my system as I can to see if maybe that has anything to do with anything. I just do not know where to really start, and I have no clue if anyone would even attempt to fix these issues (COMPLETELY understandable). I am just really in search of guidance at this point. I just do not really know what I should do at this point. Also forgot to mention, I am running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. If anyone has any input at all, just let me know, because I sure do not have any at all at this point lol. Thanks

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Normally I would assume that you have some kind of driver problem with that Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error. In your case however the BSOD errors seem to go much further. With that in mind I suspect a hardware issue is the cause of all the problems. I would examine your hardware in this order.

Memory. This is a strong possibility. Test your RAM. The fact that you have to rotate your memory Dimms makes this the most likely suspect.

Motherboard. If the RAM checks out then the Motherboard becomes the next number one suspect.

PSU. This is often the cause of many a drama. Make sure your voltage is correct and stable. Any issues there will cause all sorts of random events.

Your issue is almost certainly hardware based. One option is to pull the board complete with RAM and CPU and take it to be tested. Only then can you proceed to examine other possibilities with any confidence. This area of concern must be eliminated.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Well you said that it is a dual core that has been unlocked to 4 cores....Have you tried to lock it back to original dual cores..
That's why the cpu was sold as a dual core because it was not good enough to sell and market it as a quad core...
Some people get lucky and get a stable system after unlocking the dormant cores but some don't!
Hope this helps...
JQ

4745454b

Titan
Put the CPU back to a dual. Check the ram with memtest. Xion makes crap, so I'd look there next. The 4890 runs hot anyways, so if that has overheated it might need to be replaced. Also, while poking around in there check the motherboard for bad capacitors. I had a machine that would randomly blue screen and it had bad caps. (S939 board actually.)

scorpian61

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
I have tested both ram sticks with memtest and they passed 5 or 6 times. I did look for bad capacitors and I didn't see one blown anywhere. I actually get LESS blue screens when I unlock to quad core and set ram speeds to 1600mhz. When I was running dual cores, I was getting them left and right. How could I check voltage output on the power supply? The graphics card does run pretty hot but when I asked other people about it, majority said that the card just runs a bit hot and said as long as it doesn't exceed 70C under full load, I am ok (that isn't an absolute answer though so maybe the card is causing some problem-it runs around 65C under full load). I lwas able to extinguish the atixxx.sys errors by removing cataclyst control center by ati; apparently a lot of people were also getting blue screens from this control panel. I recently discovered one bit of information. I decided to check my motherboard's ram support list, and there are a couple XMS3 ddr3 ram sticks that are under the compatibility list, but I noticed that there are different types of XMS3 ram under the list. My particular ram is XMS3-CMX4GX3M2A1600C9. I really have no clue what that means. I just assumed that number was just jutifiying my specific ram, like a serial number or something. However, my mobo did not have this ram listed under the support list. I can only find CM3X type corsair ram listed. Would this also maybe derive some problems?

scorpian61

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Oh, I also made a huge mistake. I have never gotten a Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error, just IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I had only written down the IRQL part when I got this error and, at the time, I did not have the static blue screen option checked in windows, so when I was trying to remember the rest of the name, I googled the IRQL and found the driver part attached and just wrote Driver with the IRQL when I was making this post. However, on another piece of paper that I just found, I had only written IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with no "Driver" attached to the front(yes, I have multiple pieces of paper with multiple blue screen errors, I really have had this problem for like a year lol). So yeah, anyways...I also just wanted to say that I really appreciate the feedback; it is very helpful.

4745454b

Titan
Load up atitray tools and run the artifact checker. At the same time, load up prime95 to stress the CPU. Use a multimeter and check the red and yellow wires at the ATX bundle and the GPU 6pin plug. They should be at 5v and 12 volts. If you get any less then 4.75V, or 11.4v, then you need a new PSU.

You might want to test your ram overnight, or for many (8?) hours. If possible, trade parts for a night or two with a friend and see if you fix the problem. Just remember to trade them one at a time so you know if the problem goes away it was the last part you traded.

scorpian61

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Yeah, luckily I have some friends with the name parts as mine. I did run memtest on the ram for 6 and a half hours and it was ok. I will try the artifact checker out and see where that takes me, thanks