Question Multiple bootable OS installations on the same M2 SSD?

Sep 4, 2020
Hi,

Iam from Argentina, and this is my first post so first of all: thanks to all of you in advance.
I usually work reparing and building PC systems, and its kind of tedious having multiple pen drives with soft and OS bootable units.

So I would like to know if I could set up multiple partitions in a M2 SSD, in order to not only have programs and stuff, but also several bootable OS installations?

For example:
Partition A: windows 10 xx
Partition B: ubuntu yy
Partition C: installers and programs

The idea is to have the SSD set up in a m2 capable carry, so it can be with me at anytime.

I am looking at a program called SARDU, but I havent tested yet.

What do you think?

Thanks!!

@xxopiumxx
Can you do it ... yes.
Is it a good idea ... hmmmmmmmm.

1. there are a lot of computers out there without M2 slots. Older computers that might need fixing.
  2. there are a lot of computers with a single M2 slot. If the slot is occupied with an OS drive, then you can't work on the OS.
  3. you have to open the computer to install the M2, even if what needs fixing does not require opening the computer (software).
I think I would go with a 2.5 inch SSD in a USB enclosure. 1 TB for around $100, so plenty of space. If you can boot from a pen drive, you can boot from USB SSD ... if not, you pull the SSD from the case and install it in the PC. Probably a bit more rugged than an M2 (don't have to worry about static discharge). Not as fast as the M2.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020
@xxopiumxx
Can you do it ... yes.
Is it a good idea ... hmmmmmmmm.

1. there are a lot of computers out there without M2 slots. Older computers that might need fixing.
  2. there are a lot of computers with a single M2 slot. If the slot is occupied with an OS drive, then you can't work on the OS.
  3. you have to open the computer to install the M2, even if what needs fixing does not require opening the computer (software).
I think I would go with a 2.5 inch SSD in a USB enclosure. 1 TB for around $100, so plenty of space. If you can boot from a pen drive, you can boot from USB SSD ... if not, you pull the SSD from the case and install it in the PC. Probably a bit more rugged than an M2 (don't have to worry about static discharge). Not as fast as the M2.

thanks for the reply. I was thinking something like yo said; but with a m2 carry, like this one:

adaptador-carry-case-usb-c-31-gen2-discos-m2-pcie-nvme-D_NQ_NP_872744-MLA31501011690_072019-F.jpg

I have zero experience with this kind of technology in a carry; so this could be also a side off question. how good does it works?