Jan 9, 2021
Hi Everyone
About two weeks ago i just did some normal windows update installation (windows 10 pro for workstations, Version 20H2) and the day after just when i turned on my pc got blue screen and the stop code was Critical_Structure_Corruption and after restart, my pc didn't boot and the graphic card's fan didn't stop spinning with full speed and i didn't get any output on my monitor. after that i reset my bios and the only change i did in bios was to turn on xmp profile and i assumed the problem was made because of some random issues with windows update.
But just a few days later i got another BSOD and it was again Critical_Structure_Corruption and this happened right after i woke up my pc from sleep but after restart this time pc just booted normally but during the blue screen i heard some noises like something was stuck in a fan and didn't let it move properly but i couldn't find the source.
i guessed it might be some issued with Hard Disk (cause once more the same BSOD happened while i was watching a movie which was located in my hard disk drive and after i moved them to my ssd and watched some other videos it seemed to be fixed) so i tried to move a large file from hdd to my ssd (and also reverse) and did unarchive another file in my hard disk but nothing happened and everything was normal so my last clue was still that it's because of some random windows issue.
But last Day again another BSOD showed up right after i turned on my pc, new error this time Kernel_Security_Check_Failure and then again i heard the noises from pc and the sound source was from my hard. after another restart i just did some chkdsk command for finding errors and if repairing for bad sectors but there were again no issue with the hard disk and couldn't find anything.
after that i tried to do a startup repair but i've got an error that said startup repair couldn't happen and after that i shut down pc.
(link to SrtTrail.txt File : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B3mBhkFUBViRs0ApYogIRlcu32HctMQs/view?usp=sharing)

but today morning i turned it on and another new BSOD issue System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled.
i posted my issue here cause i couldn't guess what caused be the problem this time, i would appreciate if i could get some help here.

my pc config is down below:
CPU : AMD Ryzen 3950X
GPU : RTX 2060 Super (ROG Strix 8GB)
Motherboard : Asus ROG Strix X-570E Gaming
Ram : 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL16 (2x16)
NVME M2 : Auros Gaming 500GB Gen4
HDD : Western Digital Blue 2TB
Power : SilverStone 850w 80Plus Platinum Fully Modular

Edit: i also use a 2000w Stabilizer for pc.

All drivers are up to date and i already tried reinstalling GPU Driver but nothing got better. i got this pc just about 4 months ago and i work as a cg artist and i use 3ds Max and V-Ray the most but i haven't had any issued while working inside these programs
Thanks in Advance again.

Last edited:
Solution
looks at the invisible screenshots... also, wish you stop hitting a U when you type slot, I keep editing it :)

your ram likes wasting your time.

clean install still looks like a move. Painful but I much prefer to have time and do it on own terms after making sure you have a copy of anything you want, than to be forced to do it... although, you are sort of forced but windows still works.
Jan 9, 2021
most of the time i see this text file, the only answer is a clean install

is windows working or are you stuck at boot?

the hdd shouldn't be making any noise at startup if Win 10 loaded on the nvne? was it attached to PC when you installed windows?

if windows is working, try running https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en&p=3 on hdd
Hi
Windows is working properly and only after the first time i got bsod i needed to reset bios but after that only a restart was needed.
Also hdd wasn’t making noise at startup but when i got blue screen (even right after boot) it suddenly started to make noises. The reason that made me suspicious about hdd was that i got BSOD in three conditions : 1. While turning on pc After a night of pc being shut down 2.When waking Pc up from sleep and 3. I got bsod multiple times while was just watching movies from my hdd and after i moved them to ssd and tried watching them again everything was find (at least before i turn off pc and turn it on the next day)
And yes i use nvme for boot drive and windows and the hdd was attached to the pc when i was installing windows.

i will check the link and will tell you the result, thanks for that

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you right click start
choose disk management
when next window pops up, can you open it so it shows all details on top area and the partitions of both drives in bottom area.
take a screen shot and upload to an image sharing website and show link here.

I wonder if boot partition is on the hdd. Windows tries to be helpful when being installed and if it finds a stack of empty space on another drive when being installed it can put the boot partition on the 2nd drive. It is annoying if the drive stops working, or if its a hdd (as nvme way faster to boot) , or if you take the hdd out... as in cases 1 & 3, the nvme won't boot anymore without being fixed.

Jan 9, 2021
can you right click start
choose disk management
when next window pops up, can you open it so it shows all details on top area and the partitions of both drives in bottom area.
take a screen shot and upload to an image sharing website and show link here.

I wonder if boot partition is on the hdd. Windows tries to be helpful when being installed and if it finds a stack of empty space on another drive when being installed it can put the boot partition on the 2nd drive. It is annoying if the drive stops working, or if its a hdd (as nvme way faster to boot) , or if you take the hdd out... as in cases 1 & 3, the nvme won't boot anymore without being fixed.
Hi
I was also suspicious if windows was trying to boot from hdd, and i just detached it from pc after i posted my issue here to see if it prevents blue screen from happening or not, after that pc booted again normally with no issue but as it’s only half a day as i detached the hdd, it’s too early to say that the problem was from my hdd.

Colif

Win 11 Master
A bad drive can slow down boot but not sure if the hdd would cause BSOD as if it doesn't have any parts of windows on it, it could only be if you run programs off the hdd. Its possible there are some hidden files on the hdd still but they aren't needed for boot.

It might be when the errors happen the PC can't see the NVME at all and tries to boot off the other attached drive. Try checking the health of the boot drive as its more likely source of the BSOD.

See if the ssd toolbox has any tests - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Solid-State-Drive/AORUS-NVMe-Gen4-SSD-500GB/support#support-dl-utility

Jan 9, 2021
A bad drive can slow down boot but not sure if the hdd would cause BSOD as if it doesn't have any parts of windows on it, it could only be if you run programs off the hdd. Its possible there are some hidden files on the hdd still but they aren't needed for boot.

It might be when the errors happen the PC can't see the NVME at all and tries to boot off the other attached drive. Try checking the health of the boot drive as its more likely source of the BSOD.

See if the ssd toolbox has any tests - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Solid-State-Drive/AORUS-NVMe-Gen4-SSD-500GB/support#support-dl-utility
Hi, i tested the boot drive, someone else also told me to use passmark burn in to test the nvme, and no errors was found during both tests (on nvme).

Colif

Win 11 Master
i should have asked, still getting bsod?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

• copy that file to documents
  • upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site,
  • and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Jan 9, 2021

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

Hi
after detaching the hdd, i didn’t have any issues and everything seems to be normal till now, i tried to put pc to sleep for long hours and then logging in to see if i get BSOD again but it was fine.
I decided to send back my western blue but im planning to get a seagate exos 7E8 instead. im not sure still if it’s a good choice and some guys told me it is and overkill for home pc user, but unfortunately i couldn’t find any other hard disks with 7200 rpm and at least 128 mb buffer.

edit: i will enable the log file for BSOD and if i get it again, i will post here.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Enterprise drive... overkill... i see their point but well, it won't break in a rush and provided its sata and not scsi it should be fine.

like how data sheet shows it can go up to 8tb and then only show max size of 6 - https://www.seagate.com/www-content...-e8-msft-data-sheetDS1957-5M-2005GB-en_AU.pdf
why not get an ssd? 2tbSamsung NVME have 84gb of buffer... though it shrinks as you use space. And 3500mb sure beats the tfr speed of any hdd and you have a spare PCIE 3 slot on board... can't get PCIE4 speeds but its not noticeable really... difference between 3500 and 7000 might sound big but its not when the bigger the numbers get, the smaller the noticeable increase.

Reactions: cg_soli
Jan 9, 2021
Enterprise drive... overkill... i see their point but well, it won't break in a rush and provided its sata and not scsi it should be fine.

like how data sheet shows it can go up to 8tb and then only show max size of 6 - https://www.seagate.com/www-content...-e8-msft-data-sheetDS1957-5M-2005GB-en_AU.pdf
why not get an ssd? 2tbSamsung NVME have 84gb of buffer... though it shrinks as you use space. And 3500mb sure beats the tfr speed of any hdd and you have a spare PCIE 3 slot on board... can't get PCIE4 speeds but its not noticeable really... difference between 3500 and 7000 might sound big but its not when the bigger the numbers get, the smaller the noticeable increase.
My problem with ssd (both sata and m2) is price. - where i live- currently a 6TB Seagate Exos costs nearly 230$ But a 2TB Samsung 870 QVO SSD costs about 300$ (which is already 50$ higher than it’s real price, m2 ssds are already more expensive and that’s all because of supply shortage)
another thing is that i have two 2 TB external hard drives which are full :sweatsmile: and 2TB won‘t be enough and futuristic If i go with ssd.

Jan 9, 2021

Seems like my days of happiness didn't last long, here is the link for the files you asked.. i got Kernel Security Check Failure BSOD again... 5 DMP Files
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L9RrxT9ff9cf3uUGQ93nle3EHzuGyKF7/view?usp=sharing

Update: i tried to open the newest dmp file with windbg viewer and after less than a minute it started, got another bsod and it was Critical Structure Corruption 😩

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/8br4wago/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:011521-10093-01.dmp (Jan 15 2021 - 13:25:31)
Bugcheck:CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION (109)
Probably caused by:Unknown_Image (Process: System)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 8 Hour(s), 19 Min(s), and 08 Sec(s)

File information:010921-14015-01.dmp (Jan 9 2021 - 01:33:50)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 12 Hour(s), 37 Min(s), and 44 Sec(s)

File information:010821-11031-01.dmp (Jan 8 2021 - 02:18:23)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 15 Hour(s), 24 Min(s), and 31 Sec(s)

File information:010421-11812-01.dmp (Jan 4 2021 - 12:25:28)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 20 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)

File information:010421-11296-01.dmp (Jan 4 2021 - 12:02:40)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 11 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)
Comment: The GPU tweaking driver "iomap64.sys" was found on your system. (AI Suite or GPU Tweak 2)

Possible Motherboard page: https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-e-gaming-model/
There are BIOS updates available for your system. We usually don't recommend updating to Beta versions. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
three crashes caused by Unknown Image is odd. all 3 are identical. They all only have 1 line of stack text and its same as below in all 3..
most crashes tell me more than the 1st one does. This is all I get to tell what cause was
STACK_TEXT:
ffff8186d2978e28 0000000000000000 : 0000000000000109 a3a024ddc15f6557 0000000000000000 8ceacd448d522198 : nt!KeBugCheckEx

which isn't a lot. No drivers mentioned in any of the dumps. Doesn't really mean a lot, they often cause problems without being mentioned. Still worth checking ram just in case.

specs -
CPU : AMD Ryzen 3950X
GPU : RTX 2060 Super (ROG Strix 8GB)
Motherboard : Asus ROG Strix X-570E Gaming
Ram : 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL16 (2x16)
NVME M2 : Auros Gaming 500GB Gen4
HDD : Western Digital Blue 2TB
Power : SilverStone 850w 80Plus Platinum Fully Modular

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

do you run any of these? Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool or BatteryCare by OpenLibSys.org or Throttlestop (Properties say: OpenLibSys.org) or EVGA Precision X - as the oldest driver on your PC is part of one of those programs -
Jul 26 2008WinRing0x64.sys

see if there is a newer version of Tunnelbear, yours is from 2014.
i assume you use Intel lan since your realtek hasn't been updated since 2019

Jan 9, 2021
File information:011521-10093-01.dmp (Jan 15 2021 - 13:25:31)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 8 Hour(s), 19 Min(s), and 08 Sec(s)

File information:010921-14015-01.dmp (Jan 9 2021 - 01:33:50)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 12 Hour(s), 37 Min(s), and 44 Sec(s)

File information:010821-11031-01.dmp (Jan 8 2021 - 02:18:23)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 15 Hour(s), 24 Min(s), and 31 Sec(s)

File information:010421-11812-01.dmp (Jan 4 2021 - 12:25:28)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 20 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)

File information:010421-11296-01.dmp (Jan 4 2021 - 12:02:40)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 11 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)
Comment: The GPU tweaking driver "iomap64.sys" was found on your system. (AI Suite or GPU Tweak 2)

There are BIOS updates available for your system. We usually don't recommend updating to Beta versions.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.
Hi
Thanks for doing the debugging, so i guess you meant the issue was maybe from my ram sticks? and about gpu tweaking, i only have asus armoury crate for rgb and also my bios version is up to date. Thanks for data.

Jan 9, 2021
three crashes caused by Unknown Image is odd. all 3 are identical. They all only have 1 line of stack text and its same as below in all 3..
most crashes tell me more than the 1st one does. This is all I get to tell what cause was
STACK_TEXT:
ffff8186d2978e28 0000000000000000 : 0000000000000109 a3a024ddc15f6557 0000000000000000 8ceacd448d522198 : nt!KeBugCheckEx

which isn't a lot. No drivers mentioned in any of the dumps. Doesn't really mean a lot, they often cause problems without being mentioned. Still worth checking ram just in case.

specs -

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

do you run any of these? Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool or BatteryCare by OpenLibSys.org or Throttlestop (Properties say: OpenLibSys.org) or EVGA Precision X - as the oldest driver on your PC is part of one of those programs -

thanks again, i can guess that the unknown image is probably caused by some protected video files that need special application to run on my pc, but about rams.. maybe i have to check them.
when i wanted to buy pc parts i heard some people got issues about trident z incompatibility with ryzen but it’s odd if i get problems about 4-5 months after working on my pc.

and about your question, nope, i don’t have any of those apps. And about tunnelbear :O why you say that i use 2014 version? i just installed it two months ago from it’s website and deleted that the day after cause it didn’t work on my isp.
there might be a chance that the company that built my pc used an intel lan but i don’t have LAN at home and i use a wireless modem.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Aug 12 2014tap-tb-0901.sysTunnelBear Virtual Network driver

tunnelbear is on your pc, was running last crash
your motherboard has intel lan & WIFI chips, its fairly common on X570, mine does as well (its from Gigabyte)

seems if i had looked harder, that program I asked about is part of Mastercless, I think its rgb software for your cooler/case fans
CoolerMaster\MasterPlus\WinRing0x64.sys

Jan 9, 2021
Aug 12 2014tap-tb-0901.sysTunnelBear Virtual Network driver

tunnelbear is on your pc, was running last crash
your motherboard has intel lan & WIFI chips, its fairly common on X570, mine does as well (its from Gigabyte)

seems if i had looked harder, that program I asked about is part of Mastercless, I think its rgb software for your cooler/case fans
CoolerMaster\MasterPlus\WinRing0x64.sys
Didn’t know that log file could contain this much information lol. and yes my case is from cooler master.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Dumps give me too much info most times. Not all of its helpful
following information: https://jsfiddle.net/8br4wago/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
link above shows whats in it, follow his instructions about running fiddle, it is obvious when you click link, its just a button you have to press.

Try this, since none of the errors show any driver names, just run System FIle Checker and check windows out. 2nd command is DISM which fixes the files SFC uses to compare running system files.
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

gardenman

Splendid
and about gpu tweaking, i only have asus armoury crate for rgb and also my bios version is up to date.
Sometimes that driver is used for overclocking which can cause issues. Sometimes it's not. I mention it so others will know. Overclocking can cause BSODs.

You are using BIOS version 2408 from 07/24/2020. If I have the right motherboard page, then the latest stable BIOS is version 3001 from 12/08/2020. There are also numerous Beta versions which we usually recommend avoiding unless you have a specific need to use them. BIOSs for the motherboard can be found here: https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-e-gaming-model/helpdesk_bios/ You may want to wait before updating. Try other things first whenever possible.

Jan 9, 2021
Sometimes that driver is used for overclocking which can cause issues. Sometimes it's not. I mention it so others will know. Overclocking can cause BSODs.

You are using BIOS version 2408 from 07/24/2020. If I have the right motherboard page, then the latest stable BIOS is version 3001 from 12/08/2020. There are also numerous Beta versions which we usually recommend avoiding unless you have a specific need to use them. BIOSs for the motherboard can be found here: https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-e-gaming-model/helpdesk_bios/ You may want to wait before updating. Try other things first whenever possible.
thanks for in detail guide. i will let you know if anything new happens and im going to update bios now.

Jan 9, 2021
STACK_TEXT:

specs -

I did update bios today and right after that i ran memtest86, at first i did it in dual channel and after 2 hours and in 2nd pass i got 4 errors, then i stopped it and ran it again but this time in single channel and for each ram stick seperately as you said earlier and got 0 errors this time. [each test took about 4 hours]
i will run system file checker and DISM tomorrow and will post results after that. Till now everything seems to be okay and got no blue screen after previous time.

Update : i ran both SFC and DISM commands, everything seemed to be normal and no error was shown.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021
try running 2 sticks in memtest again, if you know the sticks are okay, if you get 4 errors it could mean the slot on motherboard is cause. Obviously the 2nd slot since they both worked in single stick tests.
Yeah you might be right, im sure now the sticks are ok but i didn’t check motherboard slot. Also after i got errors in memset i checked website and it said errors can happen in dual channel and the best way to test a ram is in single channel but i forgot to test motherboard’s slot. I‘ll let you know after i run the test.

btw after running SFC and DISM command, i tried to restart pc and check if i can run startup repair - last time i got the error that startup repair can’t be run - and this time was no different. Do you have any ideas about this issue? My pc boots normally and everything seems ok but i guesss that there is still some problem somewhere that doesn’t let startup repair run.
i read somewhere that it might be causes because of antivirous (i use eset nod 32) and i’ll try to disable it and then check repair again. Also i read some other stuff about rebuilding bcd but im trying to find out what it does and if i should run it or not.