[SOLVED] Multiple BSOD - CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M, INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

Jan 14, 2019
Okay, so this is my first build and I've used this forum extensively to troubleshoot these issues. Finished the build Friday night and shortly after got the memory management BSOD, followed today by a few others in rapid succession.

Specs:

Mobo: Asus TUF B360M Plus Gaming
Processor: Intel i5 8400
Ram: 1x8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2400 MHz
PSU: EVGA 450BT
SSD: Crucial MX500
HDD: WD 2TB
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060SC

What I've done so far:
- Updated the bios
- Downloaded all mobo drivers from Asus
- Downloaded all drivers for chipset and ethernet from intel
- Downloaded newest driver for GPU from EVGA
- Ran memtest overnight (8 passes) - no errors
- Examined minidumps using WhoCrashed and BlueScreenView, and WinDbg

It's worth mentioning that this is an entirely new build aside from the GPU and HD's - these were previously used in a Dell workstation before migrating to this build. I'm not sure if that would have any bearing on these issues, but I figured I'd mention it. I also uninstalled Norton anti-virus after getting the memory management BSOD.

Looking at the dump files, they all point to ntoskrnl.exe.

Here is my crash dump analysis:

Crash dump directories:
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Mon 1/14/2019 5:37:51 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\011419-6609-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1B1B40)
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFFB78B07D9C540, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a critical system process died.
There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 1/14/2019 5:35:50 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\011419-7046-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x6783A0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8047B0873A0, 0xFFFFBA83F113F048, 0xFFFFBA83F113E890)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 1/14/2019 7:37:41 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\011419-7515-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA0 (0x10E, 0xA, 0x511, 0x2BFC)
Error: INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the power policy manager experienced a fatal error.
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).

On Sun 1/13/2019 1:08:30 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\011319-6875-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41790, 0xFFFFEA80062CF1C0, 0x0, 0x1)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred. A page table page has been corrupted.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'm kind of stabbing in the dark for the moment.

EDIT: Ran sfc /scannow and it returned this message:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag."

Solution
Are you only getting memory management now? Internal power gone? (I had hoped all would be gone)
So install worked fine, it was just after it was complete you started crashing?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

try running this and check out CPU - http://www.tcsscreening.com/files/users/IPDT_UEFI/ - CPU is also involved in memory usage

Memory Management
From your...

Colif

Win 11 Master
is this a fresh install or did you move the hdd including install onto new PC without reinstalling win 10? If its the 2nd, it could be reason for errors as windows thinks its on different hardware

Can you go to C:\WINDOWS\Minidump
copy the minidump files to another folder
upload the copies from new folder to a file sharing web site and show a link here

Usual suspect, blaming windows - NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause

I can't say I seen INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR before

Jan 14, 2019

Colif,

Thank you for your reply. Windows was moved along with the hard drives and registered on the new machine, but not reinstalled. That was another fix I was considering since it's been throwing up some weird errors.

I apologize because it looks like the disk sweep may have grabbed the 4 dump files from yesterday, but I was able to upload the one file accounted for.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1uPXuhKZj1KTnp0FOqDPJzyb-bThzopyc?usp=sharing

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/BUkW.html

File: 011419-7062-01.dmp (Jan 14 2019 - 20:50:40)
BugCheck: [INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR (A0)]
Probably caused by: ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: https://www.google.com/search?q=)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 10 Min(s), and 42 Sec(s)

The GPU tweaking driver "iomap64.sys" was found on your system. (AI Suite)
The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

BIOS information was not included in the dump file. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information soon. Please wait for more answers. Good luck.

Jan 14, 2019
Thank you, gardenman for the insight into the internal power error. I understand that my board and CPU are not overclockable, so I really just use those programs for fan control since I'm running two PWM fans and displaying HUD info while playing games.

Colif, do you think a reset would be just as effective? Or do you think a clean install would be my best bet?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would lean towards a clean install as resets might not grab all new drivers for hardware. New install will feel faster too as it suites the new hardware and doesn't have any left overs from previous install. It may fix all the BSOD as well. Much better to have a clean system when trying to fix BSOD.

weird errors is a symptom of moving an install like you did. Sometimes it works fine, most times it doesn't.

If win 10 is activated on new PC now, the reinstall will be mostly painless except having to install everything again. Not so bad if you copy everything you want to save onto 2tb hdd. Unplug power from hdd before you reinstall on ssd as win 10 might see blank space on hdd and put the boot partition there... not overly handy later if you remove hdd and PC won't boot.

download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, ssd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html
when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished.

Jan 14, 2019

Colif,

Thanks for the reply. Fortunately I have the media creation tool from upgrading my previous PC, so that should make things easier. I'll shoot for the clean install, but it looks like I have bits of the OS on both hard drives from my previous install, so I'll have to wipe both partitions before giving the clean install a shot. I'll report back with what I find!

Jan 14, 2019

Back to report that the problem is 100% worse now. The clean install is now repeatedly throwing up the same memory management error and citing the nsoskrnl.exe. I was previously able to at least use my PC, but it's now stuck in a boot loop and displays the error about 1 minute after login. I've tested the ram multiple times and I updated literally every driver after clean install, so the only thing I can think of is MSI afterburner for the thermal issue mentioned.

Jan 14, 2019

Also cannot access safe mode without an additional BSOD. Attempted a system restore to a previous date only to encounter another BSOD.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are you only getting memory management now? Internal power gone? (I had hoped all would be gone)
So install worked fine, it was just after it was complete you started crashing?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

try running this and check out CPU - http://www.tcsscreening.com/files/users/IPDT_UEFI/ - CPU is also involved in memory usage

Memory Management
From your initial errors - 1st parameter: 0x41790 = A page table page has been corrupted. On a 64 bit version of Windows, parameter 2 contains the address of the PFN for the corrupted page table page. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0x1a--memory-management

If we can get another dump file with Memory management error in it, we may be able to identify what is causing the errors by finding the item associated with the memory address in parameter 2. Alas only dump so far only showed Internal power error.

page tables are in ram as far as I know. but then everything that runs on PC has to use ram, it is likely still a driver causing it.

Solution
Jan 14, 2019

Okay, so, hopefully LAST update. Colif, I think you may have been right all along.

After my last BSOD, I reset Windows and ran memtest one last time. I moved the stick of RAM between two slots and got 4 and 7 errors with each test. I ran to Best Buy and grabbed a matched pair and the BSOD has yet to crop back up. For some reason, the previous tests with memtest showed absolutely no errors.

Colif

Win 11 Master
memtest is usually reliable, but its not perfect.

I wouldn't say I was right all along, I believed you when you said you ran memtest, its why I hadn't suggested it again. Memory management errors are just as likely to be drivers but not likely if its on a clean install, as the drivers built into the windows installer are pretty solid, and almost always work.

Try testing CPU anyway as the memory controller is on the CPU