Question Multiple BSOD (ntokskrnl.exe, ndis.sys, tcpip.sys) crashing my MSI Laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jayiarts

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
it sounds to me like a clean install is the only way you will get past the problem it seems to have with that restart.

Microsoft changed how updating worked in the past but I am pretty sure that was before 1803. Jumping 2.5 years of updates in one move might be too much for your windows updater to handle at once... Fresh install won't give it any choice.

Sadly I've had this problem when I first tried to update the system in 2018 when I first got it. It kept trying to update Windows in the background and kept trying to restart only to fail to install the sys updates. This kept happening to the point which caused a hinderance to my daily use so I turned off Windows Update.

Would something like a Reset be enough? I have ordered an USB but it won't arrive here until the 25th.

@gardenman
Yeah, it's all good to post the results here on the post. Sorry if it seems like I'm hurrying you, I just wanted to clarify if I came off that I didn't want it on here before.

gardenman

Splendid
I already showed Colif the files privately. He was the one wanting to view them. However, results can be found here: https://jsfiddle.net/ek4dq728/show
File information:111920-10156-01.dmp (Nov 18 2020 - 11:34:29)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9F)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 43 Min(s), and 47 Sec(s)

File information:111820-9953-01.dmp (Nov 18 2020 - 09:41:11)
Bugcheck:KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)
Probably caused by:tcpip.sys (Process: WiTopiaService)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 46 Min(s), and 53 Sec(s)
Comment: 2 or more types of RAM are installed.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you take the stick of ram out that you added to system?

i am not sure what caused the last BSOD.
The previous one was from before you updated internet drivers. I recognise it .

jayiarts

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
@gardenman

I might purchase another ram stick if that's the case, purchase a Samsung stick that matches the one in my sys. I just got another BSOD that blamed the ntfs.sys

@Colif

Good news, the USB stick arrived today, now I'm wondering if I should do a clean install and then update Windows to see if that fixed the issue or test for more BSODs. I'm also starting to suspect that the ram might be the issue here... since I just got another BSOD last night while scanning for viruses. This one blamed another driver. Though, this could be me running Malwarebytes and WinDefender at the same time scanning for viruses.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_sDOGk6gFY129hqxOF9DHjDTWJzw_C0U/view?usp=sharing

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/sb8qL07j/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:112420-12531-01.dmp (Nov 23 2020 - 14:51:09)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 58 Min(s), and 35 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I might purchase another ram stick if that's the case, purchase a Samsung stick that matches the one in my sys.
no, don't do that. Buy 16gb of ram that is a set and use that instead of 2 unmatching sticks. Buying another stick that is same make and model is no guarantee it will work without errors, sets generally are matched to each other.

take 1 stick out and clean install win 10 and see if we can get past the errors and update problem.

Though, this could be me running Malwarebytes and WinDefender at the same time scanning for viruses.
not sure it would cause a crash but it wouldn't help system speed having two scanners running at same time. It could cause conflicts.

jayiarts

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
no, don't do that. Buy 16gb of ram that is a set and use that instead of 2 unmatching sticks. Buying another stick that is same make and model is no guarantee it will work without errors, sets generally are matched to each other.

take 1 stick out and clean install win 10 and see if we can get past the errors and update problem.

not sure it would cause a crash but it wouldn't help system speed having two scanners running at same time. It could cause conflicts.

Crap, I purchased the ram stick already. I didn't know purchasing ram had to be of the same set.

I finished updating Windows, everything went through without a problem. Now there are a couple of optional updates, should I just update them as well?

Do I also need to go to the MSI website and download drivers such as the BIOS, GPU, CPU, and LAN drivers?

There's also a couple of optional driver updates, I don't even know half of what they do, bunch of intel stuff, should I download and update them or?

Is it also safe to use debloating software such as
https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Just leave the optional updates, you will get them if necessary at some stage.

Do I also need to go to the MSI website and download drivers such as the BIOS, GPU, CPU, and LAN drivers?
looking at dates of the drivers on MSI website I would hazard a guess that Windows 10 might already have most of those now. Especially the intel ones.

I don't use the debloater software, I don't see the point. I don't see win 10 as really that bloated. So I don't know if its safe or not, i guess it depends how much it removes. If a process isn't running, who cares if its on PC or not? storage/ram aren't that rare anymore. I totally understand if PC had a tiny ssd or something.

jayiarts

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
@Colif

I did install some of the drivers off of the MSI website just to be sure, but if there was a newer ver, I guess Windows would have installed that already? Would the installer from the MSI site let me know that there is a newer driver in place already or would it replace it?

Ok, gonna just use the default uninstaller to get rid of some apps such as People, xBox stuff, and etc. The rest, I'll just keep them as is since idk what they really do.

Which antivirus do you guys recommend on using? Is Windows Defender + Malwarebytes enough?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Would the installer from the MSI site let me know that there is a newer driver in place already or would it replace it?
Windows would tell you if there was a newer versions and not let you replace it, it does that to me with sound drivers.

Is Windows Defender + Malwarebytes enough?
its good enough if you don't go to dangerous sites. they fine for most people.

jayiarts

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
Windows would tell you if there was a newer versions and not let you replace it, it does that to me with sound drivers.

its good enough if you don't go to dangerous sites. they fine for most people.

Did a fresh install and everything is working now. Will post here if anything else comes up, thanks for all your help