Question Multiple BSODs when trying to install windows.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Julyon

Commendable
Apr 4, 2019
Hello folks, I have a big problem that seems to be unfixable to me. This is my last resort...

Okay the story is as follows: Back when I was on the Win10 2004 Version I experienced occasional crashes on startup and shutdown of my system - like once a week. I talked to windows support and they told me to install the 20H2 Version. So I did and it absolutely messed up my PC. It crashed A LOT more, the HDD wouldn't show up in the Drive Management and I therefore couldn't use it and I just rolled back to the 2004 Version and chose to ignore the occasional crash.
Two days ago I updated to 20H2 anyway, hoping to get the issues fixed someone. And it seemed to be somewhat working as the only thing that didn't work was the HDD which wasn't recognized still. So after some non-working troubleshooting I decided to reset the system. That didn't help at all: I now DID experience BSODs and my HDD still wasn't recognized. So of course the next thing in my mind is doing a clean install of windows right? Created a bootable USB stick with 20H2, and tried booting from it - BSOD. Tried again, got to the Drive selection page and literally WIPED both of them. Nothing on there, no windows, no nothing. I thought I could now finally install windows but no, MORE BSODs. I tried with only my SSD installed - BSOD. I tried with only my HDD installed - BSOD. Neither of the two drives allow me to install Windows on it and I get a variety of different BSODs including:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
-> Some of these are caused by fltmgr.sys, I've had some caused by storport.sys,
I think I've had one caused by rt640x64.sys (which is a realtek driver, even though my drives are wiped?)

I've used the HDD in a different Computer yesterday without problems. The SSD worked very well before and was recognized by windows. The windows tech guy told me the SSD was broken and I should get a new one - but why does the system still crash when I try to install windows on the HDD? Makes no sense. As you can see I have no clue what to do anymore. Any help is highly appreciated as I need this PC to work.

Specs:

Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
GPU: Gigabyte 5700XT
RAM: 32GB Ripjaw V (2x16)
SSD: Corsair Force MP510 (~500GB)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda (2TB)
PSU: Riotoro Enigma 750w

Julyon

Commendable
Apr 4, 2019
Some thoughts:

1: The fact the HDD worked on another PC makes me think that's not the problem. You could hook it up to another PC and check the SMART data to see if there are any obvious errors, but my suspicion is the HDD is not the problem.

2: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION generally get thrown when something has caused data corruption. And considering they are being generating during an install of Windows (where there aren't any OS/Driver issues to worry about), this makes me immediately suspicious of RAM and the Motherboard. I don't see how any other HW failure could cause these specific BSODs to be generated.

My recommendation: Try running the Windows install with only ONE stick of RAM installed. If you get an error, try using a different stick of RAM in a different physical slot. This would eliminate either a bad stick of RAM (memtest86+ is good, but some errors do fall through) or a bad physical slot on the motherboard (rare, but they do show up from time to time). If this fails across multiple RAM/Slot combinations, then I would suspect either a BIOS configuration issue, or some sort of motherboard failure (as pretty much everything else has been eliminated). There's only so many things that could fail a fresh install of Windows on a clean HDD.

I've done the RAM thing you suggested already, happened no matter which stick I ran. I ran 4 passes of memtest on each stick separately as well without any errors so I'm certain the RAM is fine. Sadly I don't have another usable motherboard to test on. I did a BIOS update and cleared CMOS.

Next step is checking both drives for any errors and if that doesn't work I might just buy a new motherboard... :/

I've done the RAM thing you suggested already, happened no matter which stick I ran. I ran 4 passes of memtest on each stick separately as well without any errors so I'm certain the RAM is fine. Sadly I don't have another usable motherboard to test on. I did a BIOS update and cleared CMOS.

Next step is checking both drives for any errors and if that doesn't work I might just buy a new motherboard... :/

Out of curiosity, did you try using different physical RAM slots? It's really the last thing I can think of to try testing.

Julyon

Commendable
Apr 4, 2019
Out of curiosity, did you try using different physical RAM slots? It's really the last thing I can think of to try testing.
Yes, I tried that without success...
Is there any way the PSU could somehow create these issues? It has to be either it or the motherboard. I still have warranty on both of them...

Julyon

Commendable
Apr 4, 2019
I don't like guessing, I would ask someone to check the PC, a 4th opinion maybe.
Just to be sure. Or as sure as you can be.
So the drives both worked perfectly fine. I even did a software update on the SSD but it still crashes.
Also: I ruled out the PSU from the beginning without actually thinking if there was a possibility it could be the problem? I always thought as it just delivers power it can't cause any BSODs. Is that true? Do you think there's a change the PSU is the culprit here? Otherwise I'm pretty sure it has to be the motherboard. I was actually about to make use of my warranty when I remembered the PSU... Any ideas?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I always thought as it just delivers power it can't cause any BSODs. Is that true? Do you think there's a change the PSU is the culprit here?
it just delivers power to everything in system, if its faulty it can make other parts look bad
Riotoro Enigma 750w

PSU actually made by Seasonic, that is normally enough for me to consider it unlikely to be the cause. There is a chance it is cause, they can't all be perfect. My last 2 PSU have been from them, I sort of trust them... they used to be the OEM PSU maker for IBM. They been making them a long time.

If you want to be sure, only 3 ways to test PSU
  1. the paper clip method - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-the-paperclip-method-of-testing-a-psu.1336402/
  2. or multimeter,
  3. or in the BIOS to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. - https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-tolerances-2624583

Julyon

Commendable
Apr 4, 2019
it just delivers power to everything in system, if its faulty it can make other parts look bad

PSU actually made by Seasonic, that is normally enough for me to consider it unlikely to be the cause. There is a chance it is cause, they can't all be perfect. My last 2 PSU have been from them, I sort of trust them... they used to be the OEM PSU maker for IBM. They been making them a long time.

1. the paper clip method - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-the-paperclip-method-of-testing-a-psu.1336402/
  2. or multimeter,
  3. or in the BIOS to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. - https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-tolerances-2624583

I checked in the BIOS and everything is well within the acceptable +/-4%. Considering the PC didn't actually crash randomly or under load I think I'm safe to rule it out. I will now make use of my warranty and get a new mainboard. Will keep you updated when it arrives and I put it in. Thanks for the help!

Julyon

Commendable
Apr 4, 2019
Hmmm...you've tried basically everything I can think of at this point. It's almost certainly either motherboard or PSU; of the two I'd bet motherboard, but that's just a shot in the dark.

Alright: As I said I made use of my warranty and sent my Mainboard back to MSI. Like 3 weeks later I received it back with a note along the lines of "We couldn't reproduce the error and couldn't find a problem with your motherboard so we sent it back to you". Alright so Motherboard ain't it apparently. I just got done swapping my PSU with a different one and the issue still occured. So it's not the Mainboard nor the PSU nor both of the drives nor the GPU nor the RAM because I have literally swapped all of them out for working parts. Only thing I haven't replaced is the CPU but why would I get drive BSODs from the CPU that didn't have any issues before, never overheated and didn't give any errors in Prime95? Makes no sense.

I literally checked EVERYTHING. Please, if you have ANY more ideas let me know as I don't know what else to do.

Julyon

Commendable
Apr 4, 2019

2. or multimeter,

The PSU ain't it I've swapped it with a working one and that didn't help. The motherboard just got back to me without any issues because MSI couldn't reproduce my error. Don't know what else I'd do now. If you have any more ideas please let me know :(

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Summary
Can’t install windows

Specs

• Swapped GPU, didn’t help
  • Passes memtest
  • Passes Prime 95
  • Tried multiple USB installers etc
  • Both drives are okay
  • PSU is a Seasonic OEM
  • RMA CPU, still happens
  • Returned MB to MSI, they couldn’t find a problem.
I will ask if anyone else has any smart ideas :)

Julyon

Commendable
Apr 4, 2019
Summary
Can’t install windows

Specs

• Swapped GPU, didn’t help
  • Passes memtest
  • Passes Prime 95
  • Tried multiple USB installers etc
  • Both drives are okay
  • PSU is a Seasonic OEM
  • RMA CPU, still happens
  • Returned MB to MSI, they couldn’t find a problem.
I will ask if anyone else has any smart ideas :)

Didn't RMA the CPU which is why I still think it could cause the problem just the chances of that being the case are like 0.001% from what I know.
Otherwise pretty accurate summary!

Colif

Win 11 Master
oh, you just put in another CPU and still same thing... I get it.

I assume you only have ssd in pc when you install, doesn't help to have 2 drives in there, Windows can and will use any space it finds, its been known to put boot partitions on the hdd, Only having 1 drive in stops it doing it.

Could be it is PSU, since you tested everything else, but like I said, I don't like guessing. Wait and see if any mod/ambassador answers thread later.

Julyon

Commendable
Apr 4, 2019
oh, you just put in another CPU and still same thing... I get it.

I assume you only have ssd in pc when you install, doesn't help to have 2 drives in there, Windows can and will use any space it finds, its been known to put boot partitions on the hdd, Only having 1 drive in stops it doing it.

Could be it is PSU, since you tested everything else, but like I said, I don't like guessing. Wait and see if any mod/ambassador answers thread later.

There seems to be a misunderstanding: I put a different PSU in and that didn't help. Didn't change the CPU as I don't have any thermal paste right now.
Thanks for the reply anyway, I'll wait until someone else might have another idea :)

Julyon

Commendable
Apr 4, 2019
I was just going from what you said? Clearly I did misunderstand ¿

Sorry my bad. Got PSU and CPU mixed up but fixed the mistake :)

Quick recap: I have swapped the PSU, not the CPU. I'll attempt to do that as soon as the thermal paste arrives tho. Pretty much everything else has now been double checked and seems to work so wish me luck lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.