[SOLVED] Multiple connections issue

Jan 25, 2021
This is kind of a complicated question so I apologise if this is worded badly or I've totally misunderstood what I'm trying to do.

I want to connect a vr headset (oculus quest 2) wirelessly to my laptop. My main router is too far away, so I have a spare router connected to my laptop via ethernet and the headset connected to the spare router and it all works perfectly. Brilliant.

But when I connect the laptop via WiFi to my main router with Internet at the same time it all goes mad. The headset can no longer see the streaming software on the laptop until I disconnect from wifi, and the laptop can't see any Internet connection until I remove the ethernet cable.

Having both an Internet connection via WiFi and an ethernet connection to the spare router for the vr is kind of essential as the game I want to play is online only.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
What is most likely happening is that you are creating a duplicate IP address somewhere and/or the two routers are both trying to provide DHCP IP addresses to network devices joining your network

Only one router should have DHCP enabled, Disable DHCP on the "spare router".

Also ensure that all network devices only have one network adapter (either wired or wireless as required) enabled. Not both wired and wireless at the same time on any given computer or other network device.

What make and model router's are you using?

Take a look at each network devices IP address be it DHCP or Static.

You can use "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command prompt to discover the specific network configuration and IP address of any...

kanewolf

Titan
This is kind of a complicated question so I apologise if this is worded badly or I've totally misunderstood what I'm trying to do.

I want to connect a vr headset (oculus quest 2) wirelessly to my laptop. My main router is too far away, so I have a spare router connected to my laptop via ethernet and the headset connected to the spare router and it all works perfectly. Brilliant.

But when I connect the laptop via WiFi to my main router with Internet at the same time it all goes mad. The headset can no longer see the streaming software on the laptop until I disconnect from wifi, and the laptop can't see any Internet connection until I remove the ethernet cable.

Having both an Internet connection via WiFi and an ethernet connection to the spare router for the vr is kind of essential as the game I want to play is online only.

Thanks in advance.
Your laptop can only have 1 gateway. You need to manually configure the IP address for the wired connection. Disable DHCP, enter the IP address and mask. Do not enter a gateway. Then WIFI should have a gateway defined and the ethernet no gateway.

Ralston18

Titan
What is most likely happening is that you are creating a duplicate IP address somewhere and/or the two routers are both trying to provide DHCP IP addresses to network devices joining your network

Only one router should have DHCP enabled, Disable DHCP on the "spare router".

Also ensure that all network devices only have one network adapter (either wired or wireless as required) enabled. Not both wired and wireless at the same time on any given computer or other network device.

What make and model router's are you using?

Take a look at each network devices IP address be it DHCP or Static.

You can use "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command prompt to discover the specific network configuration and IP address of any given computer.

You can also (provided you have the necessary admin rights) login in the routers determine their specific configuration and settings. Many routers often provide some listing of connected devices along with the DHCP assigned IP addresses or static IP addresses if being used.

Solution
Jan 25, 2021
Ah, that's got it, thank you. I disabled dhcp on the spare router and set up a static ip on the laptop, leaving the default gateway field blank and that got them both working at the same time. Then I set up a static ip in the oculus quest headset. The headset doesn't have Internet, but that doesn't matter for pc gaming.

Thanks so much for your help.