[SOLVED] multiple harddisk with usb hub using usb-sata

andreasnolsen

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
Is it possible to buy usb to sata add them to a usb hub and use it? if you know what i mean? having more harddisk connected? i know you can have multiple usb stick connected to a usb hub. but does it work with 2.5 harddisk too?

Solution
14 drives connected externally. That would look like monstrosity. :)
And for plex server - storage drives have to be connected permanently. Removable connection is not good for such use.
And NAS to connect 14 drives, this is going to be expensive...probably not an option.

I think optimal way would be upgrade of your mini itx small case pc to
larger case with more space for storage drives,​
(not all cases can support 14 drives, may need to add 2.5 drive backplane)​
larger motherboard with more pcie slots,​
couple of additional pcie sata controllers, because normally motherboards do not support 14 drives,​
may...​

tshinhar

Honorable
May 27, 2015
It all depends on Power delivery if the usb to sata adapter also has power plugged in it will work

Also if the USB hub is powered it should work

If not it may or may not work, it comes down to the power consumption of the specific drive and how much power can the hub supply

andreasnolsen

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
is there anyway to calculate how much the harddisk use? to find out what usb hub/power supply to by? will it be best to buy usb hub with power supply or the usb/sata with power supply?

How many 2.5" drives do you have?
Perhaps NAS with 2.5" drive support would be a better solution.
Like this one:

getPhoto

https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS416slim

usb adapters for that many drives will look ugly
u plan to have all drives connected?
if not, u can use hdd bay for 2.5"/3.5" drives (hdd docking station) they go from single drive up to whatever number u request
https://www.google.com/search?q=hdd+docking+station&tbm=isch

if u need those drives for multiple computers/devices, then u better get some NAS, which can be accessed from network (instead of usb)

14 drives connected externally. That would look like monstrosity. :)
And for plex server - storage drives have to be connected permanently. Removable connection is not good for such use.
And NAS to connect 14 drives, this is going to be expensive...probably not an option.

I think optimal way would be upgrade of your mini itx small case pc to
larger case with more space for storage drives,​
(not all cases can support 14 drives, may need to add 2.5 drive backplane)​
larger motherboard with more pcie slots,​
couple of additional pcie sata controllers, because normally motherboards do not support 14 drives,​
may be necessary to upgrade PSU too.​
That way you could connect all those drives internally.

Or ... 2x of such external drive enclosures. This probably will be more expensive than pc upgrade.
https://www.raidsonic.de/products/external_cases/external_cases_35/index_en.php?we_objectID=5672

Solution