Question Multiple hd/ssd not working (please read, detailed)

Chance Hall

Honorable
May 4, 2014
First for my hard drives, I have 1 Samsung 1TB M2, 1 500GB Samsung M2, 1 60GB OCZ Agility, 1 Seagate 1TB HD, 1 Western Digital 1TB HD, 1 ASUS DVD Burner
As for the rest of my rig
Mobo: Asus ROG x-470F Gaming CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700 Videocard: 2 - ASUS ROG STRIX 1660TI OS: Windows 10
If you need any other info just let me know.

So I went to boot my pc and got a SMART warning basically saying my main storage he was probably going to die soon so I should back it up and replace it (paraphrased a bit there).
IMG-20210326-174219287.jpg

So I am not too worried as I have a 2nd 1tb hd that is set as this ones backup already, but I go in Windows to make sure there weren't and missing new files on the dying one but not the backup. Then things went bad...
IMG-20210328-225013513.jpg

1st I notice the hd the warning was about AS WELL as it's backup drive were not showing in either My Computer or Device manager.
Then I see my old 64gb ssd was missing along with my dvd burner drive, that's all the SATA stuff I have connected
But if I go into bios they all appear here

IMG-20210326-174325327.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas what is going wrong here? I am kinda freaking out that I may have lost all my data if both the 1TB main and backup HD's are bad. Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
Open up Disk Management either from the control panel, or just by searching for it in windows search. see if it pops up in there.. If both of the drives are assigned to drive names (like D:/ or E:/) you can try running a repair scan on both of those drives. But before you do that, you might want to scan for missing or corrupt windows files. To do this, open command prompt as administrator and run the command sfc /scannow (space between sfc and /scannow. Once that is done scanning. If it says it has detected and repaired files, restart your pc, if not, you dont need to restart. Now youll want to move onto running the drive repair from the command prompt, so run command prompt as administrator again and run chkdsk (disk name) /f
example: chkdsk D: /f would be if the drive your trying to fix is the D: drive
If it says that the drive is in use and if you want to run the scan on next boot. say yes. scan both drives one at a time using this command and it might fix your issue.

Chance Hall

Honorable
May 4, 2014
But before you do that, you might want to scan for missing or corrupt windows files. To do this, open command prompt as administrator and run the command sfc /scannow (space between sfc and /scannow. Once that is done scanning. If it says it has detected and repaired files, restart your pc, if not, you dont need to restart.
So I did this and got this response:
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.
When I opened that file it is 57755 lines long I have no clue how to read. Can I send it to you or something? Or should I just do a clean Windows install?
Open up Disk Management either from the control panel, or just by searching for it in windows search. see if it pops up in there.
I only see my 2 M2 SSD listed here. So where do I go from here?