Multiple Issues - Registry - Devices - Clean installation

valiantsmash

Honorable
Feb 8, 2015
Well I am absolutely out of options

I have run into a few issues in the recent weeks.

WINDOWS UPDATES

It all started when I the computer was installing a few updates and insisted on restarting (as it does). I have and have never had a problem with this up until now.

Once upon restart the pc states it is "installing updates" then "configuring updates". This process takes around 5 minutes and then prompts me a message like "windows can't complete updates, undoing changes". This then takes me to the lock screen and I proceed to type my password. Once onto desktop I get prompted that windows failed to install updates and "click to view details". I then proceed to redownload the updates as it has asked me to and go through the process again. Once finished I restart the computer. On reboot when installing it gets interupted again with "cant complete updates, undoing changes". This is a constant loop that will not change. I have tried and tried countless times but no luck each retry.

I thought that there could be a registry issue that is causing such a problem but that was just a thought from what I had found when I was trying to install devices. Which brings me to my next issue.

DRIVERS

I was about to jump online and play some DarkSouls III PvP about a few days after the previous issue was occuring. I had my x360 PC controller plugged in but it was registering as second player. Now I knew the problem here was that my Laptop was powered on in the other room and I play on both systems but it just so happened to be powered on first (which was fine). At that point I wasnt thinking and uninstalled the driver from my computer to reinstall it.

I unplugged to controller and plugged it back in. The device started to reinstall then install sucessfully.
At this point I was confused when I looked doen at my controller to see that the green light was not at all lit up. I tried unplugging the device then plugging it back in. It flickered once, then straight off again
When going into devices I noticed that the controller was listed in "other devices" under "controller" and had the yellow excalmation mark next to it. I then right clicked went into properties. Then update driver. It then prompted to search online or browse. I clicked online. The search found something and started installing. I was one step closer to playing my game until it suddenly stopped and prompted that it failed to install driver saying an unkown error occured.

I then tried to reinstall the driver but this time from an executable file. It proceeded to install but I encountered an error.

I then tried to reinstall from a disc. I placed in the xbox 360 accessories disc and began to install from disc. same error.

I then thought it could be because the driver is installed via programs and features. I then went into Programs and Features and removed the software and tried again. Still no luck. I decided to uninstall the driver again and then restart the computer.

Once restarted my controller had not turned on so I went back into devices and found 3 unknown drivers under other devices. One was Controller, another was Xbox 360 Controller for Windows and the other one was bizarre and was labelled Microsoft Virtual WiFi MiniPort Adapter. All three of these devices had a yellow excalamtion mark next to them. At this port I was more than confused, I was mind boggled. I tried to reinstall each one but I was recieving the same issue as before for all 3 devices.

I then tried reinstalling the controller via the actuall CD this time through autoplay with what seemed to be a sucess until I noticed that the controller still wasn't on. I was furious. I gave myself a 20 minute rest and got back to it. Roughly 11:30 (3 hours after boot) I tried my luck again to install the devices from the devices list. But instead of receiving the unkown error message I received a message stating that there was a registry issue.

I proceeded to use command prompt as an administrator and typed the usual sfc /scannow with no errors being found.

And that bought me to a registry repair for no reason through my antivirus software which found 800 or so errors which it "fixed" and restarted the computer. On restart I recieved the same old "cant complete updates" prompt that I usually get and proceeded to log in. Once I did I then checked to see if the devices would install with again, no luck.

At this point I gave up and went to bed (roughly 2am) 6 hours or so after I got on

CLEAN INSTALL

I recently moved place and took my computer over (of course) and when I booted it up, my mouse and keyboard were unresponsive yet alight. I unplugged and plugged back in but no luck. About 30 switch arounds and a few restarts later they where finally both working together. Then I proceeded to log in. I check my devices to see if the issue was still about which it was but then I lost my temper a little. What I saw really irritated me even more. Now my gaming headset was under other devices with all the other broken/outcasted drivers with the same yellow exclamation mark.

At this point I though windows was corrupted or something. I thought I couldnt be bothered to spend another 6 hours trying to fix it and just clean install.

I happily backed up all my saves, files etc and proceeded to the recovery screen. I chose to reinstall windows and wipe the drive clean. At this point I was happy that I decided to do this thinking it was worth it just to get it done but oh no... This cant be happening. The installation got to about 3% then poped up woth a blue screen stating that an error occured and reverting and undoing changes. I was not happy.

I tried again to reinstall but this time selected a clean install to wipe all data instead of keeping files and folders and also from my primary drive that the OS is installed on. (I have 3 HDDs).
I was so happy when I saw that the clean install was on about 48%. It was finally working! But wait things have not been going well for me.. Why trust that this will? As soon is it progressed that little more I encountered the same issue. I gave up. I dont understand what is going on.

I am here now writing this about 1 hour after the last occurrence happened askig for some advice from people that have a lot more understanding than me as I am exhausted of ideas... I am sure its to do with a refistry error although I dont know where to start. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
what brand hard drive is C? there could be software you can use to check it out.

download and run http://www.memtest86.com/ on your ram (it creates a bootable usb so don't need windows)

d/c all non essential devices from pc while installing, maybe even d/c the extra 2 hard drives. remove any card readers you may have. basically, remove anything you don't need attached.

valiantsmash

Honorable
Feb 8, 2015

Hi. I believe it is a WD 1tb. I cannot physically boot up the pc now and the mouse does not respond