Question Multiple monitor issues with new GPU

Aug 21, 2021
Hello all

I built my first PC and all was going well - I used my old GTX1650 while I waited to upgrade my GPU - got lucky in the AMD weekly stock drop online and got a 6800xt at MSRP. I just upgraded the GPU a few days ago. It performs great in benchmarks and in games so far, but I have some odd behaviour sometimes that I'd love to explain.

I have two monitors, the primary is connected via DP and the secondary connected via DP to HDMI (this was previously connected via straight HDMI and the issue was the same). My main monitor is also connected to my xbox via HDMI, and I swap inputs depending on what I'm playing.

When I turn off the xbox I get some weird behaviour - the main monitor is set to auto-detect input switches, but the display stays black - when I manually swap it (even 10+ mins after turning off the xbox) to DP to show the PC screen the secondary monitor is essentially reset - any windows open on my secondary monitor move to the primary. They both come back normal, but the second monitor has no windows (any that were there are minimized on the primary monitor, primary monitor windows remain open).

I've swapped both cables to brand new ones. They're connected correctly. The power supply is adequate as well - I bought it before getting a 300W GPU, but the rest of the system is very light on power, and even when stress tested the system power stays under 450W. All the issues are when the system is idle, which makes me suspect something else. I didn't remove the nVidia drivers until after installing the new GPU. AMD Drivers are all up to date.

Full system specs below. I'd appreciate any insight you guys have. Like I said it's my first PC build - I love it, and up til now I've been able to accurately describe my situation via a google search. This is a minor problem, but it's irritating, so I'd appreciate the help. Thanks!!

AMD R5 5600x
MSI B550 Pro-A MB
AMD reference 6800xt
Samsung 980 1TB M.2 SSD
GSkill Ripjaws V 8GBx2
Fractal Ion 660W Platinum PSU
Windows 10 Pro

Monitors are both BenQ, one is 1080p 24" and the other is 4K 27"

Aug 21, 2021
Update: Switching the display off of DP on the primary monitor is sufficient to recreate the issue - xbox is not required - primary monitor detects no signal and requires me to either turn off the monitor and turn it back on again, or remove the DP cable and plug it back in. Both of these will move any active windows from the secondary monitor over to the primary. Thanks!

Monitors are EL2870U (Primary) and RL2460HT (Secondary)