Multiple monitors 1050 ti 4gb or 1060 6gb

fiddsy

Distinguished
May 2, 2012
Hi everyone,
Getting a custom laptop built and looking at running 3 monitors (plus laptop screen) off it.
Options for the build are gtx 1050 ti 4gb or the 1060 6gb.
Laptop is purely for trading so will only be running 1080p on additional monitors for charts ect.
Also wondering what would be the easiest way to connect the 3 monitors?
Is it possible to have all 3 additional running off a single port to save on cable management?
Or is my only option to run off cards ports with multiple cables?

I travel a bit so the idea is having the laptop as my hub instead of running a desktop and laptop..
Thanks in advance.

Solution
GPU 2D application performance hasn't been benchmark-worthy in 15+ years, even the slowest modern GPU is many times faster than necessary for that. I've been using triple-display on my GPUs for most of the past 10 years. Even modern IGPs support 3-4 simultaneous outputs and are plenty fast for 2D work.

The main problem is laptops having only one video output. In principle, a DP1.4 GPU with full MST support should be able to drive eight 1080p60 displays out of a single DisplayPort output, either through daisy-chained monitors or an MST hub. However, I can't find any confirmation that any of Nvidia's mainstream GPUs support more than two displays per DP output.

InvalidError

Titan
For 2D applications, the oldest, cheapest, slowest GPU which supports quad monitors would be enough.

If you want to connect multiple external monitors, make sure you get a laptop with a display port output and monitors with DP multiple-display pass-through so you can daisy-chain monitors.

Or you could go with a single larger 4k monitor/TV. Even the oldest GPU that supports 4k would be enough for a 4k desktop.

fiddsy

Distinguished
May 2, 2012
The lowest option is nvidia 1050 otherwise can do 1050 ti or 1060..
As I said, plan is to be running 4 screens in total (laptop plus 3 additional monitors) for easy applications - multiple browsers running multiple charts.

InvalidError

Titan
GPU 2D application performance hasn't been benchmark-worthy in 15+ years, even the slowest modern GPU is many times faster than necessary for that. I've been using triple-display on my GPUs for most of the past 10 years. Even modern IGPs support 3-4 simultaneous outputs and are plenty fast for 2D work.

The main problem is laptops having only one video output. In principle, a DP1.4 GPU with full MST support should be able to drive eight 1080p60 displays out of a single DisplayPort output, either through daisy-chained monitors or an MST hub. However, I can't find any confirmation that any of Nvidia's mainstream GPUs support more than two displays per DP output.

Solution