Question Multiple monitors from different discrete GPUs

Jan 27, 2020
My current setup:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3400g
Motherboard: MSI B45 Gaming Plus Max
RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 3000MHz
Primary graphics card: Powercolor Radeon R9 390 8GB GDDR5, output 1xHDMI, 1xDisplayPort, 2xDVI
Secondary graphics card: MSI Radeon R5450 1GB DDR3, output 1xHDMI, 1xVGA, 1xDVI

I'm having trouble finding answers on this. I have a second graphics card from a previous computer I had and wanted to be able to use it to support more monitors in my setup. I am NOT looking to do crossfire with these cards, just to have more displays.
I currently have 2 displays hooked up to the DVI port and HDMI port on the R9 390, but the other monitors I have have only 1 VGA port and the other has 1 DVI port. I only have a DVI to HDMI cable so can't use the other DVI port on my R9 390 right now.
I'd figure I could try to be resourceful and use this old cheap card I have to connect my monitors since it has the right ports I need. However when I connected the card and monitor, nothing came up on either the HDMI or VGA ports.
The card is detected in both the BIOS and in the Windows Device Manager, and I updated the drivers but nothing seems to work.

Anybody have insight on using two different graphics cards for more monitors? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
In Windows, if you open Settings. Go to System > Display. Do all the monitors show up? If they do. Make sure "Extend desktop to this display" is selected for each display under "Multiple displays".

I'm not finding that exact GPU. There is a 4550 and 5450 but I'm not finding a 4540. Anyways, looking at the AMD website. If it is a Radeon HD 4000 series. Windows 8 appears to be the latest supported OS. While the HD 5000 series supports Windows 10. The last driver is a Beta driver from 2016. Windows 10 has gone through numerous revisions since then. There could be driver compatibility issues.

Jan 27, 2020
In Windows, if you open Settings. Go to System > Display. Do all the monitors show up? If they do. Make sure "Extend desktop to this display" is selected for each display under "Multiple displays".

I'm not finding that exact GPU. There is a 4550 and 5450 but I'm not finding a 4540. Anyways, looking at the AMD website. If it is a Radeon HD 4000 series. Windows 8 appears to be the latest supported OS. While the HD 5000 series supports Windows 10. The last driver is a Beta driver from 2016. Windows 10 has gone through numerous revisions since then. There could be driver compatibility issues.

I made a typo sorry, it's the R5450. I edited the post to fix that. But no nothing shows up under windows settings. I'll try to find the drivers and get back update it.

Attached is what shows in windows settings, yet in device manager it shows both cards. Currently 2 monitors are connected to the card.
View: https://imgur.com/a/tjxMlWj

TRENDING THREADS