Multiple PCs in one router, only two can access internet

ZombiePotatoSalad

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
We just had Mediacom come out and install a new router. There are three computers hooked up to it, PC A, PC B, and PC C. PC A and B can get internet, but PC C only gets it for a limited time before, despite showing connected, will not load web pages. Restarting PC C will make a yellow triangle appear. Refreshing the IP address via cmd, changing the DNS preferences, none of these work. I can restart the router and gain internet on PC C for about 30 minutes, then it won't load web pages again. All 3 PCs are connected to the router via Ethernet cables. PC A uses Windows 7 (I believe) as does PC B, PC C uses Windows 10 Professional.

If I restart the router and connect to Steam and Discord while the internet still works on PC C, I can still use Steam chat and talk in Discord voice chat, even when the browser won't load pages.

I have tried Edge, Firefox, and Chrome, none work.

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Either a bad router port (that can happen) or a problem with your PC, the NIC card or something software related. Do you have a laptop or something else you can use to test the port? That would quickly isolate the problem to either your pc or the router.

Only plug one pc into it via ethernet. Do ipconfig and check your ip address. If it's not 192.168.x.x then you don't have a NAT, which is required to get all the ips you need.

The issues you are having with steam chat and discord sound like DNS problems. Try logging into your router. The ipconfig will have the default gateway if you are getting ips from your dhcp server. factory reset the router if you have to and google the default info to log in. if you aren't sure what your isp DNS is try 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 the isp dns typically will be the fastest because it's close.

TRENDING THREADS