Question Multiple problems after changing the motherboard ?

Apr 29, 2022
Hello everyone. I want to start off with saying that I just upgraded from my old B360 Gaming Plus motherboard by MSI to their MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC. I unfortunately, not knowing until after, ended up breaking my A2 ram slot due to not understanding the fact that it can't face any direction, and shoving it in. I'm not sure if that's what's causing some of the issues, but with my ram in A1 and B1, I haven't had issues with that. I have had issues with my devices not connecting properly (wireless headset via wireless USB, USB cords for charging, and my controller). I turned off Bluetooth and it got slightly better with the calls I made to friends on Discord, but I believe there are still issues my computer is having.

Though the biggest issue is the fact that my mobo won't detect my SATA drive. After following instructions on updating the bios, it's still not detected. I'm a bit worried, having bought my mobo from Newegg and another country (China), where the system might be different? I don't know, I'm completely new to this so any advice would be great.

Also, I didn't do a fresh install of Windows because I went from an Intel to Intel, plus during the process my comp still couldn't find my drive. Ironically, I did try to follow video guides on YouTube on switching mobos, and I followed the manual provided for the cables, yet for some reason I messed up somehow. (Excluding the ram mistake, lol.) For other specs, my CPU is the i9-9900k, ram is Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 (x2), and my drive is a Seagate Barracuda 2TB.

Edit: I unplugged then plugged in my drive again and it didn't help. However, much like my previous mobo, I put it into the JUSB1 port beside the power port. Should this be done or due to the change in motherboard I plug it into the SATA ports directly? Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022
So you're gonna fix a broken DIMM socket? Please make a video tutorial of the process.
Did you not read my full post? There are other issues I'm trying to solve, plus my ram is fine and is read by my motherboard. Give me useful information to solve the other problems, not something like: "buy another" or arrogance like assuming I'm trying to fix something obviously broken by myself.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You brought up the broken RAM slot; it's a normal assumption to think you're asking about it.

Perhaps it's just unclear, but I'm not understanding why you're plugging a SATA drive into JUSB1. Or how.

In any case, for the other nagging issues, a full Windows install is best practice and an obvious thing to when you're actually having problems. Modern Windows OSs try to fix it when people cut corners, but it doesn't always work. Unless you're going to the exact same motherboard, not just the same CPU manufacturer, it's always strongly recommended.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Hello everyone. I want to start off with saying that I just upgraded from my old B360 Gaming Plus motherboard by MSI to their MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC. I unfortunately, not knowing until after, ended up breaking my A2 ram slot due to not understanding the fact that it can't face any direction, and shoving it in. I'm not sure if that's what's causing some of the issues, but with my ram in A1 and B1, I haven't had issues with that. I have had issues with my devices not connecting properly (wireless headset via wireless USB, USB cords for charging, and my controller). I turned off Bluetooth and it got slightly better with the calls I made to friends on Discord, but I believe there are still issues my computer is having.

Though the biggest issue is the fact that my mobo won't detect my SATA drive. After following instructions on updating the bios, it's still not detected. I'm a bit worried, having bought my mobo from Newegg and another country (China), where the system might be different? I don't know, I'm completely new to this so any advice would be great.

Also, I didn't do a fresh install of Windows because I went from an Intel to Intel, plus during the process my comp still couldn't find my drive. Ironically, I did try to follow video guides on YouTube on switching mobos, and I followed the manual provided for the cables, yet for some reason I messed up somehow. (Excluding the ram mistake, lol.) For other specs, my CPU is the i9-9900k, ram is Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 (x2), and my drive is a Seagate Barracuda 2TB.

Edit: I unplugged then plugged in my drive again and it didn't help. However, much like my previous mobo, I put it into the JUSB1 port beside the power port. Should this be done or due to the change in motherboard I plug it into the SATA ports directly? Thanks!
What is a a SATA disk doing connected to a USB port ?

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Apr 29, 2022
You brought up the broken RAM slot; it's a normal assumption to think you're asking about it.

Perhaps it's just unclear, but I'm not understanding why you're plugging a SATA drive into JUSB1. Or how.

In any case, for the other nagging issues, a full Windows install is best practice and an obvious thing to when you're actually having problems. Modern Windows OSs try to fix it when people cut corners, but it doesn't always work. Unless you're going to the exact same motherboard, not just the same CPU manufacturer, it's always strongly recommended.
Hi. I brought up my DIMMA slot to mention where my ram is currently and to learn if it's fine to have them where they are (A1, B1). I know that the A2 slot will have to be repaired.

I believe I figured out the cable issue as of yesterday and I might just have the SATA cord connected to the wrong number slot, or not connected at all, but I'll be checking today.

Gotcha, I saw in another thread that someone mentioned not needing to do a fresh install of windows because it's a jump in the same company (ex: Intel to Intel). But I'll do that and hopefully it'll get rid of any bloatware that's been tossed onto my computer.

Apr 29, 2022
Aside from the windows fresh install and SATA port which I'm adjusting now, I still want to know if where I have my ram is fine, since it seems my current knowledge isn't correct in some areas.