Question Multiple Problems with my PC Installation

Feb 25, 2019
I recently purchased a new PC with a few weird installation. I had complain to the seller that they had sent me the wrong PC, so I had to return it to get a new one sent out.
I now think they deliberately install my PC with mistakes and now must fix them.

Firstly they removed the original Corsair Fan from the H45 liquid cooling with a regular RGB fan that was suppose to come with the case. I asked them why they did not install the RGB fan else where and had to take off the original H45 liquid cooling fan with a RGB. Their response was they would send me out a Corsair fan which is not the original.

Secondly, I realised that the installation of the Corsair H45 fan might be wrong. The 3 pin connector for the pump is actually connected in the CPU Header, and the RGB Fan which is connected to the H45, the 4 pin connector is connected elsewhere. I am unsure if this configuration is okay or not. But it has gotten me worried. As the motherboard I have, the Asus Prime Z370-P II, has a AIO Pump header right under the CPU Header. So I am unsure why the Pump was not connected to the AIO Pump Header and the Fan in the CPU Header.

LAstly, my PC has only 1x 16GB Ram, as I know my motherboard, the Asus Z370-P II is dual control memory, I don't understand why 2x 8GB Ram was not installed.

It would amazing if I could get some advice to how to fix these problems. I am unsure if these are mistakes or not, and if so, maybe they were done intentionally.
My PC is working fine but I worry if problems will occur in future with these weird installation.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019
return it and build your own. at least you know what in it

If possible, I would like to just fix the problems. I checked the price of the parts and if I were to build from buying the parts myself, it would cost more.

I have emailed Corsair for recommendations of replacing the RGB Fan on the liquid cooler. I also asked them if the way of the liquid cooling connected okay or should i fix it myself.

As for the 1 ram set up, I read many post where it said I could easily purchase the same ram and put it in my build, but I have seen other post where they say even adding the same ram later on might not work with the current ram as it has already been in usage.

DavidM012

Distinguished
That's right doubling the ram would mean the two dimms might not be compatible however you'd have the same problem if you bought 2x8 gb and then another 2x8 gb. You would have to buy a 32 gb kit in the first place. 2x16 or 4x8.

The bios default is probably halt on cpu fan error! so if there was nothing in the cpu header you'd have to enter the bios and disable monitoring. That's nothing for individual users but if you're building 50 systems a day it's quite tedious to check off the list to remember the difference between the two headers and switch off monitoring I'm not surprised they didn't bother.

The only real difference between the aio header and cpu fan header is the label and the halt on error (press f1 to enter setup) they are both pwm controllers. If the aio header doesn't have halt on fan error you wouldn't have a clue if a fan or pump had failed. It does work I have a chassis fan on cpu fan header and if I stop the fan spinning with my finger and reboot I can make it halt on cpu fan error! Not sure how pump header behaves with 3 pins instead of 4 on your usual pwm fans with 4 pin it would halt on fan error! Maybe there's no clue either way. Some aios might come with a 4 pin aio pump header.

If you're feeling confident and know what you're doing you could always simply put the aio pump wire into the aio header just to see the halt on cpu fan error! message. As long as it's on and powered it should spin the pump just as well.

Go into the bios first and make sure monitoring on it is enabled on the monitor tab. So you don't under or overpower it immediately. If it's disabled it will likely spin up the pump to full speed. Then you can decide whether to set silent standard or turbo mode. Turbo mode will ramp it up to full speed once the cpu temp exceeds whatever preset temp. is programmed into the board.

The rgb header is a different type of port for rgb fans.

Next on the list these benchmarks show little impact in real world gaming performance:

1fps on the titles they tested in their configuration. I also read a review that said there wasn't much impact between dual/ quad channel configurations either. What's it for, who knows?

I've seen it read that most games don't use more than 12gb of memory and there is also little practical benefit from 32gb. The only time gamers might benefit from an excess of ram is with 128-256gb of memory so they could create a ram disk and put one or two of today's massive bloatware titles on it for super fast response times. Doing so would be quite expensive so it hasn't been a realistic prospect for years.

Basically the post should read, oh god, please someone help me customer is slightly ocd on system build!

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019
That's right doubling the ram would mean the two dimms might not be compatible however you'd have the same problem if you bought 2x8 gb and then another 2x8 gb. You would have to buy a 32 gb kit in the first place. 2x16 or 4x8.

The bios default is probably halt on cpu fan error! so if there was nothing in the cpu header you'd have to enter the bios and disable monitoring. That's nothing for individual users but if you're building 50 systems a day it's quite tedious to check off the list to remember the difference between the two headers and switch off monitoring I'm not surprised they didn't bother.

The only real difference between the aio header and cpu fan header is the label and the halt on error (press f1 to enter setup) they are both pwm controllers. If the aio header doesn't have halt on fan error you wouldn't have a clue if a fan or pump had failed. It does work I have a chassis fan on cpu fan header and if I stop the fan spinning with my finger and reboot I can make it halt on cpu fan error! Not sure how pump header behaves with 3 pins instead of 4 on your usual pwm fans with 4 pin it would halt on fan error! Maybe there's no clue either way. Some aios might come with a 4 pin aio pump header.

If you're feeling confident and know what you're doing you could always simply put the aio pump wire into the aio header just to see the halt on cpu fan error! message. As long as it's on and powered it should spin the pump just as well.

Go into the bios first and make sure monitoring on it is enabled on the monitor tab. So you don't under or overpower it immediately. If it's disabled it will likely spin up the pump to full speed. Then you can decide whether to set silent standard or turbo mode. Turbo mode will ramp it up to full speed once the cpu temp exceeds whatever preset temp. is programmed into the board.

The rgb header is a different type of port for rgb fans.

Next on the list these benchmarks show little impact in real world gaming performance:

1fps on the titles they tested in their configuration. I also read a review that said there wasn't much impact between dual/ quad channel configurations either. What's it for, who knows?

I've seen it read that most games don't use more than 12gb of memory and there is also little practical benefit from 32gb. The only time gamers might benefit from an excess of ram is with 128-256gb of memory so they could create a ram disk and put one or two of today's massive bloatware titles on it for super fast response times. Doing so would be quite expensive so it hasn't been a realistic prospect for years.

Basically the post should read, oh god, please someone help me customer is slightly ocd on system build!

Thank you for in depth answer, it really helped me in understanding the build a lot more. I just hope your not the same David from that company. As you can tell I am a novice in PC building and asked these questions as someone pointed these points out for me.

I am not a heavy gamer so from what you explained there would be no point in getting another 16gb ram and the one I currently have is more than enough.

I just want to make sure it does not cause any problems further down the line. I will just leave the PC build as it is and if problems do occur, I will get it fix then.

Thank you for your in depth answer.