Question Multiple puzzling problems

Jul 25, 2020
To preface, I should say I'm definitely not looking for some all-in-one fix. It would be fantastic if all my problems were related to some single hardware- or software-based issue, but I somewhat doubt it? And I'll list my specs at the end. But for now let me describe the issues my computer has been having. I consider myself having about 5/10 knowledge. I'm no IT, but I've been making my own PCs for a while and generally know my stuff, but all of these things have been stumping me.

--I've had a habit of putting my PC to sleep every night rather than shutting it off, but lately whenever I do that, trying to rouse the PC from sleep causes crazy lag. Like, my OS is on an NVME SSD, and it takes upwards of 5 minutes. The mouse pointer will barely move, and does so with several-second gaps. All I can assume (since I can't see any applications or anything when this happens) is the CPU is getting severely bottle-necked somehow? But on coming out of sleep? However it does seem to 'reset' the degree of lag after I restart, and has basically no lag after a reboot. This is probably the most pressing issue.

--Second in order of importance would probably be the wi-fi. I don't imagine this is related to the first issue, but occasionally my wi-fi signal will just stop. I'm in a house with multiple other devices sharing a single wi-fi cable modem, and nothing else has issues when I do, so I'm relatively certain it's a problem with my computer, though whether the receiver module in my mobo is going out or it's some software issue, I can't quite tell.

--The last issue is related to sound. Whenever I'm watching a video or listening to a podcast and also doing something else, there will inevitably be static whenever the PC is trying to load anything. It seems CPU-related, which makes me think it's connected to the first issue, but usually also happens when I'm loading other webpages, so it could relate to the internet issue? I should note that I recently changed my sound setup to include a SoundblasterX G6 DAC, so I would've assumed it would be able to handle the sound while the CPU is working? And I can't imagine why it would be affected by network use. This is obviously just something annoying I'd like to stop.

I'm very appreciative for any help. I don't imagine it'll be simple, and let me know if I need to provide any further info. I've gone through the basic sort of checks: virus/malware, chkdsk, disk defragging my one HDD, etc. Nothing so far seems to help.

Hardware (most ~2 years old):
-Motherboard: ASUS TUF H370-PRO Wi-Fi
-CPU: Intel Core i7 8700K 3.70 GHz
-RAM: Corsair Something, 32GB (incidentally, the oldest component, ~3-4 years old)
-Video Card: EVGA SC2/nVidia GTX 1080
-Primary/OS drive: Intel NVME SSD 500GB
-Secondary drive: WD Blue SSD 2TB
-Storage drive: WD Black HDD 5 TB
-PSU: EVGA 850 GQ

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
--The last issue is related to sound. Whenever I'm watching a video or listening to a podcast and also doing something else, there will inevitably be static whenever the PC is trying to load anything. It seems CPU-related, which makes me think it's connected to the first issue, but usually also happens when I'm loading other webpages, so it could relate to the internet issue? I should note that I recently changed my sound setup to include a SoundblasterX G6 DAC, so I would've assumed it would be able to handle the sound while the CPU is working? And I can't imagine why it would be affected by network use. This is obviously just something annoying I'd like to stop.
When you say 'there will inevitably be static', do you mean that when a video starts up, the audio suddenly 'blows up' and is suddenly ridiculously loud and crackly?
If so, I was experiencing a similar issue using my current sound card.
Double check your audio plugins - maybe even unplug and plug them back, and reinstall your audio/DAC drivers.
When Windows does its forced updates, it tends to overwrite the optimal drivers for the LAN and audio with its own, like it's hot stuff or something.
It might even help with the 2nd issue, IDK, both 1 and 2 are kind of over my head.

Jul 25, 2020
Well, for a more current example, I was trying to watch a video on youtube on my primary monitor and then open up e-mail as I listen to it. When I'm doing nothing, the video would play fine. As soon as I try to check an e-mail, something about it loading it or downloading the info or whatever, causes the video to stutter, and the sound along with it. After some thought, I'm thinking it might be the video card?

Last night I shut down as many programs as I could prior to putting the computer to sleep, just as an experiment. In theory, if it was the CPU, having less to boot up while waking would make a difference? But it didn't seem to. And additionally, once I finally managed to log on through the lag, both my screens were orange, as if unable to load in my usual backgrounds, though they eventually did load after 30 seconds or so And if I remember right, part of nvidia's graphics drivers include a sound controller? I'd rather not have to replace the video card after 2 years, but...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Since you're using a DAC anyway, you shouldn't allow the Nvidia driver to install it's sound driver.
Open Device Manager > Sound, Video, and Game Controllers
You should only be using the driver(s) necessary to run your DAC.
View: https://imgur.com/zdLq43R

Like in the image above, I have the driver for my sound card and the generic Windows driver listed.
The latter is disabled - only because it when I tried uninstalling, it kept reinstalling itself whenever I restarted the PC.

I'd suggest you run Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the current driver, reinstall the latest recommended driver for the card, but do a Custom Install and uncheck the audio driver.
Also disable the default Windows HD Audio driver if it's not required.

Jul 25, 2020
Just wanted to give an update. I took the advise above and it worked quite well, I feel like it's significantly improved the problems, namely the last one, but they do remain. The sound of videos still crackles occasionally like static, and after being more thorough about what I do (opening random applications that don't use networking as well as some that do) it only seems to trigger when I'm using the wi-fi, so it's very likely related to the wi-fi problem. The lagging when waking the computer has also improved significantly, but remains. My original theory was that maybe the wi-fi receiver in my motherboard was somehow screwing up and was doing something that might disrupt other things like the sound, but then I wouldn't think it would affect an external DAC? In any case, it seems much more manageable for now, so thanks for the help. I might just have to restart the computer every few days, but I'll keep looking for the main problem.

Reactions: Phaaze88