Question Multiple questions about browsers and my laptop

Jul 31, 2019
I play multiple games on my HP Windows 10 laptop and Roblox is one of them. I play a game on there that doesn't have many players and the creator does not update it. The creator not updating it means a lot of people are cheating (exploiting.) Someone used an exploit on me, and now roblox will only run at around 16 FPS. I deleted all the roblox files and uninstalled it, but now when I try to download it again in Firefox, it has a popup that says "You'll need a new app to open this roblox-player", and if I click off of that and click download and install, firefox crashes. I have redownloaded roblox from the Microsoft store, but I'd like to still play it from the website. On the game from the Microsoft store, it still lags around 16 FPS. Help?

This looks like a good read to me. https://devforum.roblox.com/t/best-practices-for-preventing-common-exploits/180873

You might want to jump into the conversation as well. That game sounds like one that requires basic coding knowledge. I would ask as well if there might be a more suitable browser to DL it with. You might do well to uninstall/reinstall FF though, and even run some malware scans (Malwarebytes, etc).

I would also suggest trying turning off Game Bar.

Personally I turn off ALL telemetry in W10. My idle RAM usage dropped a whopping 1GB when I did.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019
This looks like a good read to me. https://devforum.roblox.com/t/best-practices-for-preventing-common-exploits/180873

You might want to jump into the conversation as well. That game sounds like one that requires basic coding knowledge. I would ask as well if there might be a more suitable browser to DL it with. You might do well to uninstall/reinstall FF though, and even run some malware scans (Malwarebytes, etc).

I would also suggest trying turning off Game Bar.

Personally I turn off ALL telemetry in W10. My idle RAM usage dropped a whopping 1GB when I did.

you've probably never played the game before so you wouldn't really understand the exploits thing, which that's okay, but the exploits can't be fully stopped ever, because people are constantly coding new ones to break what roblox just made to prevent them. That isnt really the problem though, I think that the exploits caused my files for roblox to break in some way and I need help from someone to fix them, because it was running fine before the exploits happened, and I think something in the files were changed. Also I can't redownload FF because I broke google Chrome and Microsoft Edge and those are my only other two browsers downloaded on my laptop. Don't ask how they're broken, I have no idea. They just sit there and don't load anything before completely crashing after about 7 seconds.

I never claimed to know anything about game coding, which is obviously what Roblox is about, but I do know browsers can be hijacked like you seem to be implying the game was. I mean I HAVE done extensive modding on some games, but mainly just adjusting CVAR values by following guides.

The forum I linked to is dated Sept 18, late last year. I have no idea if that was before or after the author stopped supporting the game, but since most of it is about dealing with exploits, it seemed pertinent.

Again, I suggest you read it and better yet, jump into the conversation. It's specifically FOR Roblox developers. Many there have posted suggestions they claim have helped, but again, I don't really know if it's still useful, as it may have been bandaid solutions added to the author's attempts at security.

The bottom line here is regardless whether one is code savvy, this is a security issue. What you have to solve first is getting your browsers back up and malware free. Anything capable of "breaking" Chrome has got to be pretty significant, so you need to consider antirootkit and anti trojan tools if a mere reinstall and reset doesn't fix the browsers.

It's also common sense that if it really is a situation now where the game is controlled by hackers, to avoid it like the plague. That very well may be why that forum thread ends at Sept 18.

One thing I do if a game I DL can't be accessed via a secure distribution site like Steam, GOG, Uplay, etc, is to use Epic Privacy Browser to access it. I also always have a VPN running. Epic is built on Chrome, but it doesn't have Google tied to it and the address bar entries are not traceable. They even use their own servers for searches.

Knowing code means nothing if you jump on public servers and get reckless. What you should be learning is how to safely use your PC on the internet. No advanced expertise can replace common sense. What damage you caused by neglect may end up requiring System Restore or even a complete reinstall of Windows.

Last edited: