Question Multiple random BSOD are driving me crazy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 19, 2022
Hey guys!

I bought a PC back in November 2020 and it has been throwing random BSOD since day one. At first, I didn't give it any importance, because I thought it would be easy to fix (faulty Windows installation, maybe?), but now I'm desperate because I can't find the cause or a solution.

This is my hardware:

Gigabyte B450 AORUS M
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x8GB (Mushkin MRA4U320GJJM8GX2)
Kingston A2000 500 GB
AeroCool Aero White 700W

(Keyboard: AUKEY KM-G12
Mouse: Logitech G203
Others: USB type A Xbox-like controller)

With BlueScreenView I can see that all BSOD (SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP) were caused by ntoskrnl.exe+3f7d60. This is what the last BSOD looks like, but all the other have the same structure (not sure if relevant):

YO1b3M0.png

Random blue screens happen mostly when doing anything except gaming, though I got some here and there while playing some game as well. For instance, LEGO Batman is literally unplayable for me because I get a blue screen every few minutes into the game. I also remember being unable to create a bootable Windows 10 USB drive with Rufus because a blue screen would randomly appear as well. Browsing the Internet? Random BSOD from time to time.

Here are all the minidumps since my last clean Windows installation in case they can help: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wmyajzd3mqgwfof/AAA4xV9BaLTT5bw_2o3Oe4tza?dl=0 Yes, five BSOD since May 16, which is really stupid considering that I have barely used the PC since then.

This is what I remember I have tried so far with no success at all:
  • MemTest86 to check RAM modules: no apparent issues.
  • Plug in the RAM modules separately in case one of them was faulty: no changes, BSOD kept happening.
  • Plug in the RAM modules in different positions on the motherboard: no changes, BSOD kept happening.
  • Clean Windows 10 installation (downloaded right from Microsoft): no changes at all, BSOD kept happening (not only that, but also got a BSOD right after the clean installation!!).
  • Updated BIOS: no changes at all, BSOD kept happening.
  • Update all drivers: no changes at all, BSOD kept happening.
  • Unplug peripheral devices, just in case: no changes at all, BSOD kept happening.
When I updated the drivers with a third-party app, at first I thought I had fixed it, because I was able to do things I couldn't do before, but the first BSOD didn't take long to appear. Now I'm desperate because I have run out options and I don't know what else to do. I would greatly appreciate your help. Let me know if you need more information.

Thank you!

Last edited:
run cmd.exe as an admin then run
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

start task scheduler and look at the tasks that can run. look for anything that could run gcloud.exe . (file might be gone with a uninstall)

not sure about the debugger warning, it just noted that something in the bios violates the updated specs
here are the docs:
TianoCore EDK2: SMBIOS_TABLE_TYPE10 Struct Reference (bsdio.com)
does not look to be a big issue.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022
@alejanddro
The same thing you mentioned is happening to me! I have crash in ntoskrnl.exe+3f7d60 (with differents screen shots but the same CRASH) and I'm going crazy to know how to fix it!
My team also has a gigabyte motherboard, a Z590 aourus ultra, along with an i5 11600k, 32 GB of Crucial RAM at 3200mhz, 980 TI Gigabyte Windforce 6GB graphics card, soundblaster Z sound card.
I see what you say you have found the solution? We have the same bios as I have seen, can you tell me what you have done exactly? I'm going crazy!!!

May 19, 2022
@alejanddro
The same thing you mentioned is happening to me! I have crash in ntoskrnl.exe+3f7d60 (with differents screen shots but the same CRASH) and I'm going crazy to know how to fix it!
My team also has a gigabyte motherboard, a Z590 aourus ultra, along with an i5 11600k, 32 GB of Crucial RAM at 3200mhz, 980 TI Gigabyte Windforce 6GB graphics card, soundblaster Z sound card.
I see what you say you have found the solution? We have the same bios as I have seen, can you tell me what you have done exactly? I'm going crazy!!!
Hi, fortizvi.

I tried many things (see this thread), but what I think finally worked for me was to delete all the Gigabyte apps and to disable the gdrv2.sys, gdrv3.sys and inpoutx64.sys drivers. For the latter, download Autoruns, go to the Drivers tab, find those drivers in the list and simply uncheck their boxes.

If this doesn't work for you, feel free to read through this thread and try other potential solutions we discussed.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

May 31, 2022
Hi, fortizvi.

I tried many things (see this thread), but what I think finally worked for me was to delete all the Gigabyte apps and to disable the gdrv2.sys, gdrv3.sys and inpoutx64.sys drivers. For the latter, download Autoruns, go to the Drivers tab, find those drivers in the list and simply uncheck their boxes.

If this doesn't work for you, feel free to read through this thread and try other potential solutions we discussed.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.
OK!!!
I just did it, because I have EXACTLY installed the gigabyte APP since I bought the equipment, which was now in February 2022. And had I ever had a blue screen. But it just happens to me playing powerful games, being a good time, sometimes the game crashes for example Cyberpunk2077 and also playing Age of empires 4 in multiplayer, after about 20 minutes... and I think it could make sense those applications that you mention, because I have the same manufacturer as you. Also comment that I had a 970 gtx graphics card and I just bought the 980 ti (I had to change the thermal paste since it was set at 90 degrees) but it is already functional and the temperature with the new paste changed is perfect. And of course, I discard the graph because ALREADY with my previous 970 it sometimes gave me crash errors. In my case it's ALWAYS playing, and those two games...
If anyone can think of other options? At the moment I have paid attention to uninstalling everything, and I have renamed the grdv2.sys and gdrv2.sys files to _grdv2.sys and _grdv3.sys, since uninstalling the app they continue in the system path, in this way I make sure that does not identify the file ;)

May 19, 2022
OK!!!
I just did it, because I have EXACTLY installed the gigabyte APP since I bought the equipment, which was now in February 2022. And had I ever had a blue screen. But it just happens to me playing powerful games, being a good time, sometimes the game crashes for example Cyberpunk2077 and also playing Age of empires 4 in multiplayer, after about 20 minutes... and I think it could make sense those applications that you mention, because I have the same manufacturer as you. Also comment that I had a 970 gtx graphics card and I just bought the 980 ti (I had to change the thermal paste since it was set at 90 degrees) but it is already functional and the temperature with the new paste changed is perfect. And of course, I discard the graph because ALREADY with my previous 970 it sometimes gave me crash errors. In my case it's ALWAYS playing, and those two games...
If anyone can think of other options? At the moment I have paid attention to uninstalling everything, and I have renamed the grdv2.sys and gdrv2.sys files to _grdv2.sys and _grdv3.sys, since uninstalling the app they continue in the system path, in this way I make sure that does not identify the file ;)
I'm not an expert by any means, but I think you should refrain from doing that because directly renaming/deleting drivers can cause more troubles. Instead, do as I told you and use Autoruns to disable them. For instance, those files still exist in my PC, but they are disabled and can't/shouldn't do anything. I haven't got a single BSOD since then and I have been playing a lot of Lego Batman 1, which was a certain BSOD trigger.

May 31, 2022
I'm not an expert by any means, but I think you should refrain from doing that because directly renaming/deleting drivers can cause more troubles. Instead, do as I told you and use Autoruns to disable them. For instance, those files still exist in my PC, but they are disabled and can't/shouldn't do anything. I haven't got a single BSOD since then and I have been playing a lot of Lego Batman 1, which was a certain BSOD trigger.
Hello! Don't worry, I do have knowledge about it, I assure you that doing that is okay, since the only thing is records that are orphaned once the app that uses it is uninstalled, therefore, it is the same to disable it as to rename it if has no use. That said, I think I'm finding the solution... and it's the temperature of my computer... I've changed the organization of fans so that the top ones and the rear one take out air (I have corsair H60 liquid cooling and I have it from the back taking out air) and the three forwards, as I already had them entering air. In this way I have been able to lower the motherboard by 10 degrees... since it was almost 50 degrees! and I think it was what generated those crashes... of games, the BSODs at the moment since I uninstalled the gigabyte APP... they have disappeared!!! I mean, I really had two problems:
  1. Gigabyte app incompatible with windows 10 21h2
  2. Poorly managed temperature, since it is currently hot where I live... and of course, since air is coming in... and only taking it out from behind, hot air pockets would be generated by the motherboard.
I'll keep checking and I'll let you know through this channel. VERY INTERESTING THIS CHANNEL, thanks to you, I managed to find out this!!! thank you!

May 19, 2022
Hello! Don't worry, I do have knowledge about it, I assure you that doing that is okay, since the only thing is records that are orphaned once the app that uses it is uninstalled, therefore, it is the same to disable it as to rename it if has no use. That said, I think I'm finding the solution... and it's the temperature of my computer... I've changed the organization of fans so that the top ones and the rear one take out air (I have corsair H60 liquid cooling and I have it from the back taking out air) and the three forwards, as I already had them entering air. In this way I have been able to lower the motherboard by 10 degrees... since it was almost 50 degrees! and I think it was what generated those crashes... of games, the BSODs at the moment since I uninstalled the gigabyte APP... they have disappeared!!! I mean, I really had two problems:
  1. Gigabyte app incompatible with windows 10 21h2
  2. Poorly managed temperature, since it is currently hot where I live... and of course, since air is coming in... and only taking it out from behind, hot air pockets would be generated by the motherboard.
I'll keep checking and I'll let you know through this channel. VERY INTERESTING THIS CHANNEL, thanks to you, I managed to find out this!!! thank you!
Glad to hear that! Hopefully we both have solved the problem for good :)

May 31, 2022
ajajaja I keep my fingers crossed... tonight I'll do an age of empires 4 ahaha I'll comment on my "experiences"...
bad news, while I play it fails me... it takes me out of the games sometimes, I've even tried battlefield 4 and it hung up after a while making strange noises... I've started looking at the drivers of the card soundblaster z sound... and I had some old ones that were the ones that I "believed" were going well for me with a date of 2020... I have updated to see if that is it...
anyway... to continue investigating :(

May 31, 2022
bad news, while I play it fails me... it takes me out of the games sometimes, I've even tried battlefield 4 and it hung up after a while making strange noises... I've started looking at the drivers of the card soundblaster z sound... and I had some old ones that were the ones that I "believed" were going well for me with a date of 2020... I have updated to see if that is it...
anyway... to continue investigating :(
HIII my solution in this:
https://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_problemas-con-juegos-y-cierres-inesperados_2456703#p1752722129

TRENDING THREADS