[SOLVED] Multiple SSID router help

Nov 11, 2020
Hi, I am trying to find a decent wifi router which I can set up more than one SSID. I would also like to be able to fix one of the SSID to 5ghz.
Scenario is the kids live in wifi and its good to be able to disconnect them without disconnecting ourselves. The PS4 is only 2.4ghz so needs to be enabled on one SSID.
We only stream TV and its better on 5ghz but when both are enabled the firetv always chooses the 2.4ghz
There are 2 kids so ideally want individual SSID for them.

A huge plus would be if its possible with a nest system to improve signal around the house.

Got a budget of £200ish

Solution
Hi, I am trying to find a decent wifi router which I can set up more than one SSID. I would also like to be able to fix one of the SSID to 5ghz.
Scenario is the kids live in wifi and its good to be able to disconnect them without disconnecting ourselves. The PS4 is only 2.4ghz so needs to be enabled on one SSID.
We only stream TV and its better on 5ghz but when both are enabled the firetv always chooses the 2.4ghz

A huge plus would be if its possible with a nest system to improve signal around the house.

Got a budget of £200ish
Keep your current router and disable the WIFI on it. But add a WIFI access point. The Ubiquiti FlexHD is a table friendly...

kanewolf

Titan

Got a budget of £200ish
Keep your current router and disable the WIFI on it. But add a WIFI access point. The Ubiquiti FlexHD is a table friendly access point with up to 8 SSIDs possible.
You can have them on 2.4 only, 5Ghz only or combined.

Solution

DannyT_

Honorable
Aug 10, 2017
Keep your current router and disable the WIFI on it. But add a WIFI access point. The Ubiquiti FlexHD is a table friendly access point with up to 8 SSIDs possible.
You can have them on 2.4 only, 5Ghz only or combined.
I second this.

Important note that 5Ghz frequency has a shorter range than 2.4ghz. Usually devices can switch between these frequencies if you have the SSID on 2.4 AND 5ghz. You can of course create multiple SSIDs with a single Ubiquiti access point (do a bit of googling), the software for their products is fairly easy to use. Having the router set to "Modem" mode will stop the connection coming from the router, and just through the access point (bear in mind you can have multiple access points around your house for the best connection).

You could get multiple access points and set it to roaming mode so when you move around the house your connection never drops, just moves to a different access point.

Good luck with the upgrade :)

Nov 11, 2020
Not sure how vlan would help me, bit that clued up😂
If i can stick that in as an AP, create 3 SSID and assign one to be 5ghz only I will be happy.
Guessing as an AP I connect it to the existing router through 5ghz?