Multiple Type C USB ports?

Solution
The only thing that "Type C" represents is a physical USB port that is reversible, as in, there is no upside down. They can be plugged in using either of 180 degree positions, same both ways instead of only having one correct position like all previous USB form factor specifications and physical designs.

Type C has so far been used for implementation of various Thunderbolt, USB 3.0/3.1 gen 1 and USB 3.1 gen2 specifications.

Doesn't matter if it's Mac or PC, the spec itself is whatever the spec is. Type C can either be used typically for Gen1 USB 3.0/3.1 OR Gen2 USB 3.1, which is much faster but requires hardware and cabling support that are Gen2 approved.

There are just now starting to be a few boards that have them not only on the...
Are you talking Type C or Type C gen 2? Big difference. There are Type C ports that are only USB 3.0/3.1 gen 1 which are basically all the same as Type A 3.0, and then there are Type C gen2/Thunderbolt/2 standard compliant.

Probably there are not many that have multiple Type C gen2 ports because of the number of PCIe lanes required to support each of those ports and there is little hardware that supports the standards yet.
This board does, and I'm sure there are at least a FEW others that do, but knowing what platform, AMD or Intel, and what generation you are looking for would certainly be helpful.

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-Gaming-3-rev-10#sp

Mainer82

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
I'm getting my terms mixed, I believe. It's the USB Type C that the new Macbooks have. I've found boards with just one on them but if I'm going to invest in an upgrade, i'd like to have a few of them present. I'm looking at Intel as well, latest CPU.

The only thing that "Type C" represents is a physical USB port that is reversible, as in, there is no upside down. They can be plugged in using either of 180 degree positions, same both ways instead of only having one correct position like all previous USB form factor specifications and physical designs.

Type C has so far been used for implementation of various Thunderbolt, USB 3.0/3.1 gen 1 and USB 3.1 gen2 specifications.

Doesn't matter if it's Mac or PC, the spec itself is whatever the spec is. Type C can either be used typically for Gen1 USB 3.0/3.1 OR Gen2 USB 3.1, which is much faster but requires hardware and cabling support that are Gen2 approved.

There are just now starting to be a few boards that have them not only on the rear I/O outputs but are slowly starting to see use on an internal header for front panel support as well but I'm unsure that I've seen any cases that actually incorporate support for them on the front panel.

Also, there are only one or MAYBE two ACTUAL Gen2 3.1 USB capable hubs, whether Type A or Type C, at all, period.

It just has not been largely adopted YET, but is slowly beginning to be although there is mostly nothing out there are far as hardware goes that uses it except for some Mac devices, monitors, few things here and there. You'd be hard pressed to find valid support through a flash drive, external hard drive or enclosure, optical drive or any other kind of hardware. A few, but nothing much. Yet.

I've actually reached out to Ryan at PCPP regarding when and if they plan to add the ability to filter by whether or not this is supported on a given motherboard and so far haven't heard anything back yet, but I also haven't heard "NO" either.

Solution