Question Multiple webcams don't work on Win10/11 Desktop PC ?

nickystixx45

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2017
Hi everyone,

I've been having an issue with my webcam on my main pc. My webcam is a Logitech C920 HD Pro. I've never had an issue like this before and it seems to have come out of nowhere. I noticed it a few weeks ago when there was no video when I turned on my camera in Discord. The camera showed up in the dropdown for "Camera" in the settings, just gives no image and the blue light on the camera doesn't turn on. After that, I opened the Logitech G Hub app and selected my webcam. It said "Camera preview is not avaiable. Your camera is either disconnected or in use by another application." I made sure nothing else could have been using it by checking task manager and the camera permission settings. I then tried opening the Windows Camera app to see if that worked and it gave me two different error messages.

The first message:
Can't start your camera
If you're sure the camera is connected and installed properly, try checking for updated drivers.
If you need it, here's the error code:
0xA00F429E <PageOpenFailed> (0x80070003)

The second message:
We can't find your camera
Check to be sure it's connected and installed properly, that it isn't being blocked by antivirus software, and that your camera drivers are up to date. If there's a physical switch or button for the camera on your PC, make sure it's turned on.
If you need it, here's the error code:
0xA00F4289 <ActiveCameraUnplugged> (0x80070003)

I have a secondary pc I use for sim racing so I tested it on that pc and it works fine. I also have another Logitech webcam I use on the sim pc, so I tried it on my main pc and it has the same issue. Just to be sure it wasn't a Logitech issue, I borrowed a friend's Elgato Facecam MK2 webcam. It also didn't work on my main pc. I've searched online for anything that might fix it, as well as had my friend, who works in IT, try some things but nothing has worked.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Logitech drivers and the Windows Camera app itself. I've tried multiple usb ports, front and back. I don't have any third-party antivirus software, just use Windows Defender. I've gone through all the permission settings and firewall. I didn't make any changes to settings since it was working last, about a month or so ago since I used it.

The last thing I tried was updating my pc to Windows 11 hoping that would fix it. It did not. I'm now fully up to date with Windows updates. The Windows camera app and Logitech G Hub don't give me the error messages anymore, just do nothing (Camera app) or load forever (G Hub) when I select my camera. I'll link my pc specs below. I appreciate you taking the time to read this and hopefully we can find a solution because I'm at a loss.

PC Spec List: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nickystixx45/saved/r63rMp

Edit 1: All cameras I tried show up in device manager.

Last edited:

KingLoki

Proper
Jul 10, 2024
can you open windows 'Device Manager' and unplug, then plug in your camera and watch and see if any new camera hardware show up in the device manager devices list to see if windows is actually picking up the camera when plugged in.

nickystixx45

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2017
can you open windows 'Device Manager' and unplug, then plug in your camera and watch and see if any new camera hardware show up in the device manager devices list to see if windows is actually picking up the camera when plugged in.
Windows detected the cameras everytime. I also tried uninstalling the driver and scanning for hardware changes.

KingLoki

Proper
Jul 10, 2024
Go into Settings >System > Sound
and have a look at the Input area to see if a device is showing as Microphone and has the Model underneath HD Pro Webcam C920

I have the same device and have plugged it into a windows 11 pc to try

nickystixx45

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2017
Go into Settings >System > Sound
and have a look at the Input area to see if a device is showing as Microphone and has the Model underneath HD Pro Webcam C920

I have the same device and have plugged it into a windows 11 pc to try
I had to leave for an appointment, but I'll try this when I get home in a few hours.

KingLoki

Proper
Jul 10, 2024
Also double check the Privacy settings to make sure that the camera/microphone is turned on, along with any other related settings and make sure apps have access etc.. within drop-downs or toggles. Open a seperate app that uses the camera and do a microphone sound check and also see if you get the camera showing up. I did a windows sound check in settings but it showed 0%. I opened a seperate video editing/capture app and the sound/mic worked ok. I did get video working after changing camera privacy settings and selecting the webcam where needed in windows, as I have very tight overall system settings. Hope something helps. Cheers.

Last edited: