Mushkin and OWC Shows Off PCI-Express SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodymaze

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Mushkin lists the Scorpion's performance at 1275 MB/s sequential read, 1500 MB/s sequential write, and 120,000 4K random write IOPS.

WANT.

guzami77

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
I have a revodrive x2.. not a fan of PCI-e SSDs overall.. they can be finicky and you cant increase voltage to your PCI lanes for overclocking

Sticking with sata SSDs in raid from now on

werfu

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
[citation][nom]guzami77[/nom]I have a revodrive x2.. not a fan of PCI-e SSDs overall.. they can be finicky and you cant increase voltage to your PCI lanes for overclockingSticking with sata SSDs in raid from now on[/citation]

You shouldn't overclock your PCI-e speed. The gain you get for in FPS is minimal and it can destabilize a system quite easily.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
My next build will happen probably in August (Good timing for IB, Geforce 600, and no more HDD shortage). I'm planning on 4x SATA SSD's in RAID 0 as my primary storage and a few 2 TB Caviar Blacks as my media storage and backup.

The newegg reviews for Revodrives are way too unimpressive. Especially since you can get the same results in SATA without pulling yout your hair.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]guzami77[/nom]I have a revodrive x2.. not a fan of PCI-e SSDs overall.. they can be finicky and you cant increase voltage to your PCI lanes for overclockingSticking with sata SSDs in raid from now on[/citation]

I have the RevoDrive 3 X2 and so far I love it even though it is currently bottlenecked by my current mobo. I have it in a Asus Commando which is not a board on their supported list but I have not had 1 single issue with it. Works flawlessly.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
[citation][nom]jayracer7474[/nom]is it me or did they just glue a bunch of ram sticks to some pcb for a pci slot?[/citation]

lol pretty much, plus a couple of controllers

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Funny to see how, like in the Fashion world, certain design ideas resurface after a while.
Back in the days of 386,486 CPUs and CBMs Amiga computer we used Bus cards as memory expansions.

We sold 8MB (yes, 8 Megabyte) cards for around $1800 then for the Amiga 2000 like hot cakes as the Studios and TV Stations where buying them for the emerging NLE applications.

Now I can buy a 16MB USB stick (that's 2000 of those cards, or $3.6 Million worth) for 20 bucks and I have the feeling I am wasting money as it is too expensive :)

Gotta love computers !!!

G

Did anybody notice that the layout of both circuit boards are exactly the same. (OWC didn't have the heatsink installed). Are they the same product under different brands?

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]bloc97[/nom]Wow... Use an SSD as RAM and you won't ever need to Hibernate your computer...[/citation]

And watch that SSD drop like a fly, especially under heavy load. Oh, and since SSDs have higher latency (due to architecture and distance over PCI lanes), and have lower bandwidth, the CPU will choke.

G

I think Sandforce is going out of the picture, its benchmark speeds are fake. I have a Sandforce based SSD and it will benchmark 285mb/s over sata 2 but when I pull real data off of it (sequentially) I get between 100 and 200 mb/s - that about the same as other non-force SSD's. Also, even though my system is faster - the drive feels like there is something holding it back like a spunge or something. Really, OCZ is the leader and I trust them more than another brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.